My sister is 26 and she was recently diagnosed with Galactorhoea. Can you tell me more about this condition, what causes it and what are the most common symptoms? I am affraid that I will get it too. Will my sister be ok?

Galactorrhea is a condition when a woman's breast makes milk even though she is not breast feeding a baby. Depending on the case, the milk can come from one or both breasts and it may leak with no stimulation. Men can also have galactorrhea but it is less common. There are many Galactorrhea causes and some of them are: medicines such as hormones, antidepressants, blood pressure medicines, herbs such as nettle, fennel, blessed thistle, marijuana and opiates, hormone imbalance, tumors etc. The most common causes are benign tumors, especially tumors of the pituitary gland. Pregnancy can also cause galactorrhea. Some women exaggerate with breast self-exams which can lead to this condition. Galactorrhea produces a white fluid but if the fluid coming from your breast is reddish, your doctor needs to check it for cancer. Most tumors that cause galactorrhea are not cancer and they can be treated with medicine or surgery. I do not see a reason why you should be afraid that you will have galactorrhea too. However, if you worry too much, you can go to your doctor.