Hello! My sister is thirty five years old. Her doctor discovered pituitary gland tumor two months ago. He said it was benign and prescribed some hormonal medicines. Although he said we should not worry we are really concerned. I really don’t know anything about pituitary gland. My friend says my sister’s feet and hands are going to grow and her teeth space out. He says this is called acromegaly. Could this be possible? How does acromegaly occur?

Hello! It is very important to have all necessary and precise information when someone from your family is ill. It is completely normal that you are concerned but you don’t have to believe everything you hear from your friends. Acromegaly is a chronic disorder caused by the presence of too much growth hormone. It causes enlargement of hands, feet, jaw, skull and other bones in the body. The cause of the increased hormone secretion is usually a tumor of the pituitary gland. That is why your friend connected acromegaly with your sister but he didn’t know that there are many other pituitary gland diseases caused by increased hormone secretion.