I had a bad gall bladder attack last week and was hospitalised for three days on pain killers and antibiotics and tests. ( this was not my first attack).

I now have to have surgery to get it removed. Unfortunately I have to wait two weeks before I can get it done-- meanwhile on antibiotics and painkillers.
My problem is that the pain from my gall bladder is not so bad however I am now getting extreme bloating and rib and back pain.
My stomach goes down over night then slowly seems to expand during the day until it is tight and uncomfortable as anything. I can hardly bare it. My whole abdomen seems tender.
My ribs ache and back hurts and I am feel light headed

Is this normal? Should I go back and see someone or is this just what it is like??

Any advice or suggestions to help with bloating and rib and back tenderness?. I am on a very low fat diet-- mainly clear liquids really.
Thanks

Plesasae no scarey operation stories I have scared myself enough by reading many posts on this site.

After experiencing severe pain from a gallbladder attack, I had very little relief from prescription meds. My husband found info on the net that freshly juiced pears would allieviate the pain.

I was skeptical but drank 3 large (14 oz.) cups and within 15 min. the pain was greatly reduced and in 45 minutes, it was gone.

I now have bags of the juice frozen in case of another attack. I was absolutely amazed.

Hope this helps someone else.

eeny884

Hi, How did you make out with the surgery? I had my first gallbladder attack and ended up in the hospital for a week. My liver labs were off and I was on antibiotics. I was very nauseous and exhausted. Its been 2 weeks and haven;t been able to have surgery yet because my gallbladder was too inflamed. I now have a date for the surgery but its 6 weeks away. I am having a lot of bloating even after just a tiny amount of food. I'm on a very low fat (no fat) diet. Is this bloating to be expected? Thanks for any info. k

I'm having an episode now and trying to figure out if there is anything immediate that will help. I spent the other night in the ER and can't see the doc until thursday...what do I do until then?

i just finished having a episode i find some times a warm bath and gravol and warm tea hels a little bit

This is new for me... so new that I'm still trying to convince my doctors that it's gall bladder pain. I spent last night in the ER after eating some Butter Chicken and a piece of pizza. I had never experienced so much pain in my life!

They did an ultrasound of my abdomen and found "sludge" around my gall bladder. All the doctors there said it was nothing, but then I come and Google it and if that sludge is accompanied by symptoms.... such as pain that's severe enough to land you in the ER... surgery is very realistic option.

Anyway, tomorrow I have a consult with a GI doc. So we'll see how that goes. But tonight, I ate some soup. I just wasn't thinking... the soup had cream in it.... all of the sudden the pain started coming on again. I did NOT want to go to the ER again, two nights in a row... I'd start to get the reputation as a drug seeker. So I had a couple of Percocet that I keep in my camping/hiking gear for emergencies when I'm nowhere near civilization. I took both of them, then Googled "what to do during a gallbladder attack". Thankfully I found this site.

I first looked around for my heating pad, but I couldn't find it and the pain was intensifying, so I gave up that search. Took 800mg's Ibuprofen, laid down on the couch on my left side and just focused on my breathing. Thankfully this episode only lasted about an hour, unlike last nights 5 hour marathon.

So, for me, what worked (at least enough to keep me from going to the ER again) was: 2 Percocet, 800mg Ibuprofen, lay down on my left side, and focus on deep slow breathing.

By the way, what meds to Dr's usually prescribe for these attacks?

Thanks for all the posts/help everyone!

i'm totally going to buy some pears today. waiting 2 weeks for surrgery is nothing. i was admitted two week ago with stabbing pains and had just finished heaving for 12hours... and i dont get my surgery til JULY its reduculous but i just want to say a not to lie on your left side. lie flat on your back stretch your arms over your head and doing square breathing. In for 4, hold for 4, out for 4 and hold out for 4 repeat. Streatch your toes down and just try to gently stretch your middle. i ususally stay there for an hour when its acting up.. dont slouch even though it makes you want too. good luck

hot shower or bath helps me sometimes...trying some kava tea and taking a nap too

Ive been using hydrocodone with apap and phernagan for nausea. Gaviscon tabs help with the chest pain.

I started having an attack at 8ish tonight and it is now ll.20 pm and only just subsiding. I immediately too two Cocodomol and then later 20 mg Gasviscon.

Tried to figure what I did wrong. Decided it was citrus fruit and onions.
I had not realised.

I havn't got any pears but usually I eat porridge with water after an attack for a bit. I have slowly lost cardloads of weight over two years. I did not realise that I should eat some fat but get it in advocados, oily fish and stuff like that.

I feel tired and fell down the last step of the stairs and bruised my shoulder making it worse pain.

I was told to try 1/4 cup of apple cider viniger and 8 0z of fruit juice ( apple, pear or lemon) and this helped to releive the pain. Has any one else tried this? Also was wondering if Thee is a gallblader flush that any one knows of.

there are lots of gallbladder flush ,s on you tube.... ..i,m just trying lemon in hot water, seems to calm a bad attack 'I have taken ibreprofen sometimes ..as the tabs the hospital sent me home with are making me dizzy and sick ..I am waiting for surgery .have,nt had a date yet..Hope this helps.

beets Betaine is a nutrient naturally found in beets and is a nutritional supplement that helps promote the normal breakdown of fats. Betaine can be beneficial following gallbladder removal as well, assist in bile flow and fat digestion and metabolism after gallbladder removal and can help alleviate some of the side effects of gallbladder surgery, including bloating, gas, nausea and diarrhea.

Flax Seed Tea Recipe

Useful during a gallbladder attack.
Boil 1 Tbsp of organic flax seeds in 2 1/2 cups of water for 5 minutes. Steep 10 minutes. Strain and sip slowly.

OMG gallbladder attacks are the WORSE pains that I have ever experienced.  To me it is worse than contractions when having a baby.  I have had two severe attacks one week apart.  I had two ultrasounds, a cck test, and some other radiology test that has all confirmed it is full of gallstones.  I do not see the surgeon for another week and in the meantime I am scared as hell.  Everything I eat seems to cause bloating and discomfort.  My back and neck are killing me and I am hungry (but afraid to eat).  The list of foods they give you to stay away from leaves you with no real choices.  I thought I was safe with baked fish, potatoes (plain), eggs, oatmeal, and grits.  To my surprise had eggs and toast this morning and now I have slight pain.  During my severe attacks I had constant vomitting, abdominal pain, and contracting pain from under my right breast bone around to my back.  It is so uncomfortable I can not sleep, sit, or move.  Both times I waited nearly 6 hours before going to the ER.  There they give me an IV for dehydration, zofron for the vomitting, and Ibuprofen & oxicodone through the IV for pain.  In about 20 mins I feel better but regret that I have to leave without having the thing removed.  I'm not sure why it takes so long to get the surgery when you have to live through so much pain.  Not to mention all of the expenses for co pays and medication.  Both times I was prescribed the pill form of zofron, ibuprofen, and oxycodone...which don't work if you are vomitting every two minutes.  Wait I forgot to mention I can't drink ANY alcohol (not even my wine).  SO yes I have to be in pain and can't even have a calming glass of wine!!  All I can say is hang in there and if anything this thing teaches to have better eating habits.  Best wishes to everyone who has to endure this bull-ish

I feel your pain. I am laying here having an attack right now. I am having surgery on Friday. I cannot wait. I have been dealing with attacks since August. They were treating me for acid reflux. Unfortunately, I was told by the nurse today that I cannot take Ibuprofen until after surgery. Which was the only pain medication that worked for me. However, my husband did a lot of research and told me about pear juice being able to help. I thought he was crazy but I had been having an attack for 36 hours (I have gallstones) and was ready to try anything. It worked!!! Apparently pears contain a large amout of pectin which helps with the gallbladder. Give it a try. I am waiting for him to get back from the store with a bottle of it now! Good luck to you!!!