Locked New Topic Followed by 1 people

Hello. I'm 37 year old female and I would like to find some information for my husband. You see, about few days ago he started to feel terrible pains located in his middle abdomen region. After a day or two his skin became almost yellow and that’s when we took him to see a doctor. After X-ray he determined that he has a big stone in his gall bladder and that he will need an operation. He still doesn’t know the date of operation but it could be the nest week or so. Now, my husband is pretty depressed because he has heard that life could be miserable after gall bladder removal and that things will never be the same. Please tell me this isn’t truth!?

Hi. I think I could help you because I was a medical nurse more then 25 years. I know some facts about life after gall bladder removal and I can insure you that there is nothing miserable in it.
You husband won't miss his gall bladder- believe me because removing of it will just relieve his symptoms. The main function of gall bladder is storage of bile but many people don’t know that removing it does not stop the flow of bile directly into an intestine.
After your husband has his gall bladder removed, he will be started on clear liquids again, then full liquids and finally a regular diet. In future he should avoid too greasy and too spicy food because this food with red or black pepper may cause some discomfort for persons with gall bladder disease but not necessarily.
Whole grain cereals and breads, fresh fruit and fresh vegetables should be included in his daily menu.

I recently had my galbladder removed and I can say that dairy, and well just about anything really is very hard to eat. Most foods can cause pain and nasua even vomiting. My stomach is extended and sore for some reason that no doctor seems to be able to tell me about, I am not able to lay on either of my sides because it causes presure on my stomach, and i am so scared to eat i am dropping weight like no bodys business. i highly recommend if there is time to go to the health food store and look for a flush, there are things on the market that can clean your galbaldder out and stop you from having surgery, I wish to God I knew that before I had my surgery. From all the research i am doing I am starting to realize that I am going to be struggling with pain, acid refulx, dirahea, and so much more for the rest of my life. I hate this.

I agree with the person above I have the same problems............nauseah diarreah, vommiting and constant stomach cramps and spasmsm I feel worser now dont do it if u really dont have too.......

I had mine removed a year ago and I had no problems. Walking around eating what I liked...even tho I wasnt spose to. I think it depends on the individual. Some heal faster than others. What I have been getting since the operation is recurring thrush. I am 40yrs old and before I had the operation I only ever had thrush once in my lifetime. Within the year after the operation I have had it maybe 5 times. Very annoying and uncomfortable.

By now your husband should have had his cholecystectomy (gall bladder removal) and I am sure his results have been fabuloous. I am a 43 y/o female and had mine removed 8 years ago when they did the big 6" scar .. prior to laporoscopic surgeries .... No problems .. just had to watch dairy and greasy/spicey foods about 8wks post-op. Caused diarrhea... 8 years later I have had no complications... in fact I lost about 60 pounds because I started watching my diet and eating what I should ... I was overweight so it really helped.

Dear Theresa,

I am 33 yrs old guy , I live in Hong Kong. I had removal of my gall bladder 2,5years ago. Problems began immediately after the operation. At the beginning there was only bad dirahea. after 2,5years I still have the dirahea. I also had the very similar problems like you. After eating, nausea, fullness, acid refulx, burning, in my stomach etc.. No doctor can solve it so far. They all say that I have nothing wrong. But, my symptoms are getting worse. I am not at your point now but I am close. I didnt vomit yet for example but getting worse. I feel all alone with my problem. Do you think we can find some body (like a doctor) who understands us and advice something to us?
Murat

Today is 1-25-07 I just had my Gall Bladder removed on 1-22, and I can tell you life after having the gall bladder removed is pretty normal. After coming home from the hospital I was on a liquid diet but now I am eating solid foods. Yesterday I ate a philly cheese steak sandwhich which DID NOT bother me at ALL. The only discomfort I am feeling is air in my stomach. During surgery your Dr will pump a small amount of air into your husbands tummy. They can not remove all the air so some is left behind to come out on its own. The left behind air causes pain in the shoulders as well. It kinda feels like a tooth-ache in my shoulders. I am told this to will go away. After just having the surgery I can tell you, that it is not like the stories others has told me. My advise to your husband is ask your surgeon lots and lots of questions until he is sure about the surgery. Best of luck, and remember everything will be fine.

Hi I am a 35 year old female and had my gall baldder removed 5 years ago after having a very painful attack that came out of the blue. I believe the operation has contributed to 5 years of health issues, concerns not to mention a substantail financial cost. Initialy I did recover quite quickly and seemed to have very little problems except diarrhea and occassional bloating. However within 1 - 1.5 years I developed many symptoms that progressively got worse - severe bloating, quesy stomach, severe joint pain, tiredness, brain fog, lethargy, irritability, rashes and more. I visited doctors and specialists time and again nad had many tests done - nothing came back conclusive but most tests showed 'something' was not right. I became desperate and felt very alone as I realised my symptoms were getting worse and not only effecting me but also my family - I began to rapidly lose weight (15 kgs in a few months) and then stopped getting my period (for 18 months)- I had always been regular. Eventually I ran out of options and visited a Spanish trained naturaopath and iridologist who ended up being a life saver and diagnosed me in 1 hour - I had developed a food allergy which I later identified to be gluten and yeast. After months of strict diets, acupuncture and other alterternative therapies I slowly recovered, but have only now - 2 years later begun to regain any real weight. I have done tremendous amounts of research over this time into nutrition, the major organs and bodily functions and believe the trauma my body went through after having my gall bladder removed (after the operation the surgeon admitted there was possibly no reason to have removed my gallbladder as the tiny stone had passed) significantly contributed to my food intolerance and health problems. whilst I believe many medical procedures are beneficial and lifesaving, I believe we must take full responsibility for our bodies and gain as much information as possible before undertaking any surgery or prescribing to any drug regime. Alot can be done through diet, exercise and understanding how your body works. Arm yourself with lots of knowledge - it is time consuming and hard work - but not as much as getting a malnourished and sick body back on track. Good luck

I had my gall bladder removed about 7 months ago and I have some problems with acid reflux and diarrhea after eating. Especially dairy or heavy foods, but I eat them anyway on accasion. I just recently got my appetite back. After the surgery, it was as if my stomach had shrunk. I lost 10 pounds. Now I just suffer with the frequent restroom breaks and terrible indigestion. Thats the part i dislike. It feels as if I'm having gall bladder attacks, but there isn't a gall bladder there.

I am a female 40 years old and I had my gall bladder removed on 1/18/07. Since the surgery, I find myself in the restroom a lot. As a matter of fact, I have never visited the restroom so much in my life. I feel sick to my stomach and bloated most of the time as well. I am hoping this will pass with time. It is not something I look forward to dealing with the rest of my life.

Hello Iam 22 f I has my gallblader out today and already I feel 10 times better than I did...it took the docs almost 6 mon to find out what was wrong with me....I am tellin you if you need it done do it cus the pain is not worth it and I rather spend extra time in the bathroom than have that pain.

I had my Galbladder removed in January and my doctor advised me to eat regular hospital meals for the initial meals after my surgery. The first evening I could not really eat anything other than broth, (which I had to request) and some bread. This caused severe pain which they treated with morphine. The next day the Doctor released me and said I had no diet restrictions and I managed to consume half of a small sandwich. I was home for less than 5 hours and I had to be taken to the emergency room because I had so much pain it caused shortness of breath. Two emergency room Doctors advised that the surgeon should have had me on a strict liquid diet for at least the first 48 hours after surgery. They gave me two shots within 4 hours of each other that they said was 4 times as strong as morhpine. The surgeon was not available or on call so they said to see him asap the next morning. He prescribed Darvecit instead of the 2 Vicodin every 4 hours as they had no effect. He also said the tests showed I may have had a urinary tract infection and gave me antibiotics. The pain has decreased dramatically since my surgery a little over a month ago. I am still feeling very bloated and suffer from frequent diarrhea, and indigestion. I watch what I eat and it seems to help somewhat but this is a rather frustrating way of life that my Doctor made no mention of. Also, one of the posts mentioned an incision below the belly button. I have one about an inch above that is about 3 times the size of the the other 3. Does anyone have similar incisions or complications? Any remedies for being so bloated etc?

Hello, I had my gallbladder removed on Feb. 22, 2007.
After having pain under my right rib cage and like a full or bloated feeling also under my rib cage, and severe pain in right shoulder front and back. Nausea and vomitting for 5 days prior. ER Doc found a gallstone and surgery was scheduled the next morning. Surgery went as scheduled. This is now day 11, eating has not been a problem . I have been able to eat anything I want since day after surgery. Obviously I am still sluggish, but I believe most of that is anestia. It takes along time for that stuff to leave your body. I do get soreness in my upper armes and shoulders and a contant ache in my back just under my rib cage/ shoulder blade area on the right side. I have had people tell me this does not go away. I'm going to get a massage and see if that helps.
As with any surgery there are risk. I feel fortunate that for the most part I have come thru the surgery healthy. I have read horror storys and my girlfrend who had lap coly 3 years ago had her stomach lining puntured while looking for a lost gall stone and was in the hospital 26 day. My stay was 24 hours.

I am a 55yrs old female and had my gall bladder removed on 23rd February. I was never advised to eat liquid food and given normal hospital food before leaving the next day. The stitches disolved in 10 days and have noticed that I still get indigestion from fried or egg based dishes so avoid these wherever possible. I do suffer from a swollen stomach but this is to be expected for at least another 6 weeks while the body adjusts to having a void where the gall bladder was. I do not spend any more time in the bathroom than before. As for sleeping, apart from the first 5 days when it was uncomfortable to lie on my sides, I can now sleep in any position.