I'm a 35 year old male in very good shape. Before surgery I worked out 5 days a week which included at least an hour of cardio. Then I had to have my Gall Bladder removed. Like everyone else here, I seem to be having the same digestive symptoms... and I'm fine with that. All except for one strange thing... I am SEVERELY depressed all of the time ever since the day after surgery. It really confuses me because I have nothing to be depressed about! I'm normally a very happy-go-lucky person, but I swear... I'll just cry at the drop of a hat for no reason. It's hard to get out of bed because I feel so sad.

Has anyone else heard of this? I'll call my Doc monday and ask him, then post what he says... but having my Gall Bladder removed is the only thing that has changed in my life, so why would that make me depressed? God knows I don't miss the pain it was giving me! lol

Could it be simply coming off the pain killers? I stopped taking them cold-turkey and haven't had any since (for about a week now.) My surgery was 2 weeks ago. But I WAS taking them for over a month due to the severe pain I had, waiting on the insurance company to approve the surgery.

I too have a similar problem, unfortunately mine took me 4 years to recognize. I am curious to what the doc said and has your depression lessened?

I hope you feel better.

It is just over 2 weeks since I had my gall bladder removed. I am a 36 year old female.

I tried to clean my gall bladder through Chinese medicine and Natural (Western) flushes followed by colonics. While this did remove a lot of the stones, the pain of the attacks finally sent me in to get it removed. (I took over 2 months to finally go for the surgery).

Since I have been home and off the morphine since I left the hospital (cold turkey), I do use Extra Strength Tylenol from time-to-time, I have found that I am depressed and my memory is shot.

I can easily get confused and am incredibly forgetful as if my short term memory is almost non-existant.

Please post what your Doctor said. I see mine again on Friday so I will post here with his comments as well.

I saw my Surgeon today but he didn't have any answers for this.

Thank you for posting because I thought I was alone in this!

My apologies for the delay.

After being told I was suffering from depression, I did some research. All four of the books that I took out of the library mentioned to check your Thyroid levels. Underactive Thyroids can result in the same symptoms as depression.

Furthermore, I have learned that it can take a few weeks for anesthesia to leave your system. The symptoms of confusion, forgetfulness, etc., could also have been a result of the anesthesia still in my system.

While I still have good days and some not so good ones, my memory is coming back to 'normal' and I can see improvements daily.

I had my gallbladder removed almost 6 weeks ago...it was open surgery that resulted in a 9 1/2 inch incision down the middle of my stomach...I also have 4 other small incision sites because they tried laporasopy, but the gallbladder was too diseased to remove it that way. Anyways, I too am experiencing extreme depression and did have major loss of memory, but that part seems to be getting better. I almost feel like I have been assaulted legally and that I somehow have cheated death, but shouldn't have. :-(

Hmmm, thought I was alone in this area!

I'm a 57 year old male and had my gallbladder removed laparoscopically in 2004. The surgery was uneventful with no complications and minimal post-surgical pain. In addition, I've generally avoided the typical digestive issues that many have once the gallbladder's removed.

However, within a couple days of the surgery, I experienced both a loss of memory and a very significant drop in motivation. My surgeon and the gastroenterologist were clueless. Another doctor suggested POCD (post operative cognitive disorder) but I'm too young for that and the surgery just didn't last that long to be suspect (only took 1 hour). After almost 4 years, the memory has improved only slightly and the motivation is still gone. Work's an ongoing challenge (I write software for a living) and to add insult to injury, I still have no interest in the things I use to do when I wasn't working (playing guitar, kayaking, working on cars, etc.). It's tough.

I've tried a range of antidepressants, but the side effects have just been impossible to live with. And while I've been on a regular multi-vitamin/mineral regime for years, I've recently tried additional nutrients and thought I had an answer with choline bitartrate (was taking 1 capsule per day of Vitamin Shoppe's house brand, about 650 mg per dose). It definitely gave a mental boost but after 2 months, I suddenly experienced unrelenting gas and loose stools and had to give it up. I'm guessing the choline had a positive impact on my acetylcholine levels and plan to try other related nutrients (DMAE and CDP-choline) to see if I can get back the good results but without the digestive downside.

Sorry I don't have any real answers, but hopefully we can come up with something if we keep talking!

Oh my. I'm 19 and had my gall bladder laproscopied 4 days ago. I havent realized any memory loss yet - touchwood- but I've been unnaturally down post surgery. I never cry, but I've been crying at the drop of a hat eversince, no rhyme or reason. I figured it must be all those antibiotics messing up my system...I hope it gets better...I'll let you know if it doesn't :-(

I'm a 23 year old who has had my gallbladder removed back in June and I to have been strangely depressed. I have had some of the usual symptoms that they say happens to people when they have it removed and because of that I thought I was no longer in control of my body anymore. After that thought I fell into a deeper state of depression and found myself not enjoying life as I used to anymore. I have been striving ever since with vitamins and eating healthier things to improve my attitude, health, and help me to bring some control to my abnormal digestive habits. So far it is starting to work but it's a slowly but surely process. My depression made me irritable and gave me an additude that I do not normally have because I was on the defensive but finally I was able to bridge the gap I had made between me and my family and friends and they have been helping me ever since.

I'm a 36 year old female and had my gall bladder removed in October. I'm bipolar and have had problems with depression. But for about 2 years before my gall bladder removal I did not have any serious problems with depression being on St. John's Wart, Paxil, and Welbutrin. Five days after my surgery I got depression so bad and my medications that have always worked didn't work. I could not function. I had to quit working.

Six weeks after my surgery I went to a naturopathic doctor. She explained that the gall bladder is needed to support the liver and the word melancholy in latin means black liver. She gave me some supplements to use and I am doing much better.

I just read the post from jcar27761. Could you list the supplements that are helping?? My fiance' had her gall bladder removed 4 years ago and her health has been decreasing since. We have been looking for answers but have come to all dead ends. Her diet is limited, shes anemic, has I.B.S. and interstitial cystitis, so her diet is extremely limited. She is suffering from severe depression and we are looking for answers. The doctors just ship her around, office to office and drug her up. Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have suffered on and off periods of depression for the last nine months since the surgery to remove my ovaries and gallbladder. Generally I am a very happy person and love my life. I have been to a Psychiatrist, Accupuncturist, Integrative Med. Gyn. and Homeopath. They all agree it is some bio-chemical inbalance but that does not help when I never know when these bouts are coming or what could possibly set them off.

I am 46 and had my gall bladder removed three weeks ago. I too have lost motivation, I am tired, have poop soup, take naps, I never used too. I used to do cross fit two times a week and weight training two days a week now nothing. I hurt alot where my gallbladder used to be. I tried talking to my surgeon he just told me I am doing to much to soon and it takes time. I have alot of the same symptoms alot of you have and I just don't understand it. I feel like I lost me somewhere......
Thanks
Diana

I also had significant operative depression following my gallbladder removal (three large stones so GB had to go). I did have minor pain afterwards but don't think it was the pain that causes the sever depression; I believe it was a side effect of the anesthesia. I did have a double dose as it takes me more to go & stay under. I used NSAIDS after surgery, not prescribed hydrocodone, as I have never found it useful. Apparently I react differently to anesthesia and pain meds that the majority of people. Also surgery happened at the end of daylight savings & I believe I am sunlight sensitive-- SADS & life was extra stressful. From what I have read on the internet, a lot of people go through depression after gallbladder surgery. I wish I had been warned about the possibility.

Thank you for writing on this topic. I had my gallbladder removed on Monday (today is Saturday) and all week I have found myself tearful at the drop of a hat! I have had several surgeries in my life and I really don't remember feeling so badly before.

I had laparoscopic surgery, so it pretty quick, though of course it did involve general anesthesia. I am taking 2 tablets of Vicodin a day now and the pain is much improved.

My girlfriend of 4 years (Fiancé of 3 months) underwent gallbladder surgery 1.5 weeks ago. Since the operation she has laid around the house watching movies and reflecting on her life, our relationship, etc. This morning she woke me up and said, "we need to talk.......this isn’t working.......I’m moving out." Despite my efforts, she refuses to talk to me about the situation, and after three years of living together, has moved out.
She doesn’t seem like herself at all. Does anyone think this is because of the surgery??? I’m in a state of total disbelief.
Thanks