I am 17 years old, have a slim build, and am very fit and healthy. About 2 months ago I went to the doctor because I had terrible pain in my upper right abdomen that spread up into my right shoulder. I had an ultrasound which showed my gall bladder to be fine, was put on antibiotics and the problem seemed to go away.
One month later I started throwing up very violently for about 12 hours non stop and went to hospital. They did tests (CT and HIDA) which showed that my gall bladder was not functioning very well at all and there was a lot of excess fluid in my abdomen. I was put on antibiotics (again) for 2 weeks. At my check up with the surgeon today I was still in a lot of pain, and now my gall bladder has to come out.
My question is: How did this happen? I am young and very healthy i don't eat a lot of fatty foods and until a few months ago did classical ballet at an elite level. My second is: Will I be able to lead a normal life after the surgery? I do love my chocolate and don't want to miss out on all the things my friends are doing like eating take away and spicy foods. I also really don't want to gain weight, I am naturally very slim and really would like my body to stay that way. If anyone can shed any light on the subject I would very much appreciate it! Thank you.

You can very well live without a gallbladder because the bile that used to be stored in the gallbladder will now be sent directly into the intestines when produced by liver.
People usually live normally without gallbladder and do not notice any difference but a diet change is important.

I know you would like to eat what your friends do but if a new situation you have to do what is best for you and your health and if this means changing your diet, so be it.

You should know that if you kept eating junk food, you will certainly gain weight but if you change your dietary habits in time, I am sure you won’t be gaining any weight.

You will probably have to avoid all the fried stuff and other junk food but you will be able to have a candy once in a while.
All of these things you need to discuss with your doctor and you shouldn’t run away from the problem but try to adjust to a new situation. Believe this is the best way to get your life under control and not be your life’s slave.

You need to be mature about all of this although I know you would like to be just a kid for a little longer.

Well, I don't know about the first one, but I've had my galbladder out at 14yrs old. I'm 15 currently. Yes, you will be able to lead a normal life again. ^_^

Why, my gallbladder was only functioning 9%. Well, I was sick all summer long, feeling sick to the stomach all of the time. And I had pains on my right side right behind my gallbladder on my back. Turns out it was that. I had it out.

Hope this helps!

hey im doing a senior project on gallbladder removal because mine was taken out last year while i was 16 and i want to find out why its becoming more common uin youths so if you can eaither email me (that would be easier) or reply on here that would be great i want to know if aybodys doctors said anything to them about why its was becoming more common. o you can also msg me on myspace if you want to just make sure you tell in the subject what your are msging me. thanks so much to everyone that helps!!!! my myspace is myspace.com/dumblonde711 thanks again.

My 9 year old daughter has been having stomach issues the past 2 years. Last week she had the nuclear medicine test which showed her gallbladder functioning at only 13% so they recommend having removed. I was so surprised because she is young. The doctor said she could have been exposed at one time to a virus or infection that damaged her gallbladder. Then he went on to say that because we have dogs that she might have been exposed to Parvo. I argued with him about that because Parvo doesn't cross species - and besides my dogs are always vaccinated and have never been ill.

First let me say I wish your daughter all the luck in the world. My son is 20 and just had his gallbladder removed. 2nd let me say if you are seeing a doctor that is giving you this information Run in the other direction. The truth is gallstones are genetic. and comes from eatting fatty foods also. Well lets say high in cholesterol foods. Has nothing at all to do with owning a dog. cat or a rat for that matter..
again good luck with your daughter

Hi i will be having surgery soon to remove my gallbadder. I had the cck (hida scan) and showed my gallbladder was functining a 41% border line. AND i am not "chubby" or "over weight" and dont eat much fattty foods... except for my addiction to pasta :D anyways the doctor had decided we should remove of the gallbladder just to try. Ive been having upper and lower right abdominal pain, that would some times go into my back.. i had my appendix removed "just to try" and that turned out wrong. I also had an extra.. toob thing on my right kidney.... How will i be able to eat AFTER the surgery? will there be more pain? or should the pain subside?
-Morgan

Hi. I am 13 years old and my mother had gallbladder surgery. Which worries me but I hear you get right abdominal pain and it goes to your shoulder but I feel this same way on the opposite side of my body. I have researched as much as I can
I get
..
pain in my lower left abdominal area (right below my left rib cage)
Wierd unexplainable pain in my left shoulder.
It seems so odd though because this all happens with gallbladder desiese yet on the right side?
Somebody please help me asap!

i was diagnosed with gallstones when i was 13. although i had been having attacks since february 2010. my gallstones were caused by a blood condition i was diagnosed with when i was 4 called syphericytosis (i think that's how you spell it) i'm having surgery this year and i can't wait. having gallstones has changed my life, i wasn't able to do P.E at school or do any activities. The nights i've had gallstones i have been screaming in pain on the floor. I find that when my mum or dad rubs my back while i rub my front it helps alot. i get the pain from the center of my chest goinf through to my back. It normally takes about an hour to pass. When i had the worst attack i'd ever had just before christmas i was rushed to hospital and violently sick. They then put a stent in my bile duct to stop the stones getting stuck. It has helped but i still get attacks just not as bad. I also have noticed i have never ever burped in my life but since i've had the stent put in i have been doing little burps every now and then. I am so scared about having my gallbladder taken out. As i have read many bad experiences have having the gallbladder removal. if you have any advice please comment because i am really scared and i need help.

I am 13 and I have most of the symptoms of gall bladder problems and what not. But the symptoms just started last week and are mild. Should I get it checked or wait for the symptoms to get more noticeable or whatever?

Just a thought! i have a friend that has recently found out that her organs are reversed. What should be on her right side are on her left side ect. Have you had an ultrasound or CT to confirm location of your gallbladder? Just a thought!

I'm 16 and its been about 6 months since my gallbladder experience. I had mine removed after as week in the hospital. Should you get it checked? YES. I only had pain for about 2 weeks when I collapsed at school one day because of it. Doesn't matter how long you have the pains and you know your body best:) Ifyou haven't already....get it checked out!

I'm sixteen and I only just found out that I had gallstones. I've had my pains for about 18 months, got loads of blood tests and spoke to my doctor about it. I changed my doctors seeing if I could get a better idea on what was going on, my mum mentioned gallstones and said that it was generic in our family but the doctor straight away shot us down saying that a sixteen year old shouldn't have gall problems... how wrong he was.

I recently went to the hospital because my new doctor told me that I needed to go straight to the emergency department (He did tests on me because I was having pains in my back on my right side... were my liver was). The hospital were perplexed about me XD I felt like a medical mystrey. They compared my bloods and saw that the functioning of my liver were rollarcoasting... it wasn't staying the same. The next few days I had to get an ultra sound to check on my right liver. I was sent back to the emergency department to find out my results. They FINALLY told me that it was gallstones and that it needs to be removed. I ended up staying there for three days because my gallbladder was inflamed and i'm finally home. I have to wait untill they can opperate since I have a travelling gallstone... it's not safe if they remove it while it's moving.

I'm worried about the surgury but, I just want the pain that I've been suffering over to finally stop. The pain kept me up all night in tears, I couldn't sleep I was so frustarted. I had no idea how common it's becoming for younger teens to get it removed. 

I may be having my gallbladder taken out . I started having problems in May . They did an ultra sound which showed nothing and a HIDA scan with Cck and it showed my gallbladder at 32% . The dr i am seeing currently wants to do a EDG to see if i have ulcers before he performs any surgery . I agree with him bc my mom died at very suddenly last march due to a stroke and we all sat around and worried about her . ( she was in her 40's) .

Get it checked bc if not you will only get sicker believe me . I starting having problems i may and due to my insurence being slow i had to wait 6 months before surgery and i just kept getting worse . It got to the point where i was tired all the time then after my surgery i felt so much better.