My father is 56 years old. Few days ago he was diagnosed with gallbladder polyps. I am worried about him. Can someone tell me more about these polyps? Are they common and dangerous? Will he be ok?

Gallbladder polyps are not uncommon. It is estimated that about 4% of gallbladders examined by ultrasound will have evidence of polyp formation.
The finding of gallbladder polyps does not imply increased risk for cancer. 95% of all gallbladder polyps do not give rise to cancer. Gallbladder polyps consist of cholesterol, muscle tissue or inflammatory tissue. Adenomatous polyps can progress to cancer, but they are in minority. The risk of cancer in an adenomatous gallbladder polyp is related to its size. Those who are larger that one centimeter have higher risk. Many experts think that the gallbladder should be removed if the polyp is bigger then one centimeter. Gallbladder polyps are usually discovered when an ultrasound exam is done for example, abdominal pain. There is no way to tell if a gallbladder polyp has adenomatous features or if it is the more common no cancerous type. The polyps rarely lead to symptoms. As long as your father is under supervision of his doctor, I am sure that he will be ok.