My father was diagnosed with colon polyps one month ago. He told me about it few days ago and ever since then I am worried about him. Not knowing anything is not helping me, so I would like to know more about it. What causes these polyps?

It is normal that you are worried about your father. A polyp is a benign (non-cancerous) growth of the lining of the colon and it can be from 2mm up to 5cm or more in diameter. The abnormal cells form a small ball on the end of a stalk of normal cells. The most common sort of polyp is a metaplastic polyp in which cells change from one normal type to another. These usually do not grow much more than 5mm in diameter. Also, they have almost no risk of becoming malignant-cancerous. These polyps can be very similar in appearance to adenomatous polyps. Adenomatous polyps are the next most common type. These have the potential to become malignant. Polyps usually cause no symptoms until they grow to 2cm or more in diameter and then they cause rectal bleeding. Most polyps result from some form of genetic mutation in one of the colon lining cells. Most of them can be removed during colonoscopy while the patient is sedated.

I had my third colonoscopy a  little over a year ago, The Dr told me he had removed 8 or 9 non cancerous polyps, and I would need another procedure in 3 yrs, do you think it is safe to wait that long for another look..?

I had a COLONOSCOPY FOR THE 3RD TIME LAST WK. The first one they removed 1 polyp and was told to have repeat 10 yrs the second time I had to repeat in 5 yrs, this time I had 3 polps and have to repeat in 3 yrs. I also wonder about waiting 3 yrs.