I know that colon polyps are growths of tissue inside the large intestine, called colon. Some polyps are mushroom-shaped protrusions on the end of a stalk, and I even had opportunity to see it. I realized how some others appear as bumps that lie flat against the intestinal wall. My doctor told me there are several types of polyps, and mine is benign. However, since I know there can be mutations that can progress into colon cancer, I would like to hear how to treat polyps.

No one knows exactly what causes polyps, although some people are born with a genetic tendency to develop multiple polyps. Inherited conditions such as familial adenomatous polyposis and Gardner's syndrome can cause hundreds of polyps to grow. It is recommended to perform a surgery, because without surgery to remove the affected section of the intestine, everything could happen. It is almost certain that at least one of these polyps will turn into cancer by middle age. Most adults are at risk of developing fewer polyps later in life, and they are still at risk of complications. Polyps are removed surgically, as I already said is the best way to treat this condition. Often, the doctor can remove polyps during a colonoscopy, which is practice in some hospitals. This is done by cutting the polyp from the wall of the colon using an electrical current passed through a wire loop that is placed at the end of the colonoscope. Sometimes, open surgery through the abdomen is necessary to remove polyps no matter where they are. For cancerous polyps, surrounding tissue or a section of the colon should be removed as well.