I really need some advice. I am 34 years old woman and recently I started experiencing pressure and pain in my upper abdomen. I am afraid to go to the doctor, even though I know I should. My mother told me that this is probably a case of gallstones, because she had them too. What do you think?

I will give you some basic information about gallstones. However, I cannot diagnose you. Your doctor is the only one who can do it by examining you. The gallbladder is a small pear-shaped pouch situated under the liver in the upper right part of the abdomen and it stores bile. Bile is a liquid produced by the liver, and then releases it into the intestine to help digestion. Gallstones can cause upper abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, heartburn and back pain and along with pain, one can have yellowing of the eyes (jaundice) and inflammation of the pancreas, called pancreatitis. Pain usually occurs in the upper right side of the abdomen and radiates to upper right side of the back. It begins one to three hours after a meal and persists for several hours and it may be accompanied by nausea and vomiting. In some patients, gallbladder needs to be removed to treat gallstones. The operation is usually done using keyhole surgery, called laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Go to your doctor.