For the last few days my father has been experiencing pain and swollen abdomen. We took him to doctor and all of the results were ok. I am not a doctor, but it seems to me that he has all of the symptoms of gallbladder dysfunction. Then, what is wrong with my father?

I can not tell you what is wrong with your father. Only his doctor can, by examining him. He needs to be monitored because maybe he can have some other symptoms that will show the cause of his pain. I can help you by giving you some basic information about gallbladder dysfunction. Swollen abdomen can be a symptom that indicates on existing problem with gallbladder. Gallbladder stones can develop and they are diagnosed with ultrasonography or by oral cholecystography. You did not tell me if the doctor has examined your doctor with these procedures. Patients with gallbladder stones are experiencing abdominal pain or pressure discomfort and this is typical biliary colic of gallstone disease. The removal of gallbladder and the stones is the best treatment for the patients in this condition. The procedure of removal gallstones is called cholecystectomy and if there are no abdominal symptoms, then the cholecystectomy is not needed. Cholecystectomy is performed using laparoscopic techniques or through abdominal incision and laparoscopic procedure have shorter hospital stay, minimal scarring and faster return to normal activities. I hope that I have helped you with these informations.

My soon to be husband had symptoms for weeks, and the tests kept coming back negative....but his pain reached such a level that I had to take him to the Emergency Room at our local hospital. The ER doctor felt something was being over looked....for he had had a CT scan of his chest, Abdomen and pelvis just 48 hrs prior that showed NO stones, but his pain was consistant with the gallbladder. He ordered a "hide-a scan"..a nucular medicine dye study of the biliary tract showing defects and ejection fraction of the ducts.
This test showed abnormality in the gallbladder ducts...they were barely fuctioning at all at a 6% ejection fraction. He had his gallbladder removed three days ago and he is on the mend and just starting to feel better.

I Was told after alot of test for the the last 6 months that I have a 15% ejection fraction and they are considering removing my gall bladder. I left the Drs. office today thinking about what to do.
I do get a burning pain occasionally under my breastbone. It can be a 10 some days and then a 2-3 on others. It doesn't get worse with food, except for maybe corn.I never feel nauseas and only occasional diarrhea, no back pain. I do feel, when I get upset about something the burning gets worse. My mom was diagnosed with Lung & bone cancer a year ago, and just passed this March. There were alot of upsetting days,and I did feel the burning on a 10 level. I don't know if this is stressed related or just a coincidence, and, or if just the right diet could also help before I have surgery.Can this problem be fixed without surgery?

sounds like ulcers to me... my mom had em for years and they would get worse with her getting upset. she did the h. pylori test, took antibiotics and it's gone.

I have had ultrasound w/pics, Biliarous test, scope w/biopsy's, Complete blood work, CT scan.. ALL is neg & Normal but All these symptoms hurting in my right side under my right breast & into my back right shoulder blade burn & pain. This has been going on for 1 month. Food makes me sick to smell & look at. I take Prilosec for gastro reflux they think & Butisol 20 minutes before I eat so I don't get sick but do anyway. & pain what ever will work right now. Back hurts & I have lost a total of 15 pounds since the get go. I had endometriosos & 2 surgery's 5 years ago & now they think that there is still some in there & it has grown to this location I am so confused but Dr. to Dr. I go!! Any HELP!!

Hi

I had gall bladder pain for 4 years before being diagnosed - my giant stone was invisible.

Ask for a HIDA Scan, it's a radio isotope test. I had one done and the results came back saying ''patient has no gall bladder'' I was called back in for an emergency ultrasound where they discovered yes I had a gall bladder but it was effectively ''corked'' with a huge stone. That was the only time they ever saw the stone on a scan. I was hospitalised later before my surgery - no stone seen, the surgeon then told me perhaps it had broken up - yeah right, surgery a few later - GIGANTIC stone still blocking the neck of the gall bladder. In 5 years of ultrasounds it was seen once - during the emergency ultrasound, where it was noted but not photographed.

HIDA Scan is an apparently fool proof test, and certainly it was the only thing that helped me get ahead. Without it I would still be telling Doctors I was in agony while they looked on and told me ~ and this is totally serious ~ that I was depressed and the pain was psychological. I was never depressed and the pain was very much real.