I am 34 years old man. Lately I was feeling pain in my abdomen so I went to my doctor. He examined me and told me that I have gallstones and that this is causing the pain. Can I get more information about gallbladder? What is the treatment for my condition?

Gallbladder stones are diagnosed with ultrasonography or by oral cholecystography. Patients with gallbladder stones are experiencing abdominal pain or pressure discomfort that can last even one day. This is typical biliary colic of gallstone disease and the removal of gallbladder and the stones is the best treatment for the patients. The procedure of removal gallstones is called cholecystectomy. In some patients, the pain is mild and in others the pain can radiate to the back between the scapulae. If there are no abdominal symptoms, then there are no indications for cholecystectomy. However, the cholecystectomy is sometimes indicated for patients with gallbladder pain who do not have the gallstones. Cholecystectomy is performed using laparoscopic techniques or through abdominal incision. The laparoscopic procedure has its advantages like shorter hospital stay, minimal scarring and faster return to normal activities. The chance of death during the operation is very low. I hope that I have helped you with these informations.