I'm a 17 year old female. I had a baby (in Feb 06) by c-section, then, in June, had a laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Now I'm having abnormal stools. They alternate between diarrhea and constipation. Diarrhea seems to come right after eating (certain foods). Constipation occurs every once in awhile (once every 1-2 days). Recently I've noticed that when I'm constipated, my stools hurt and there is blood on the toilet paper. Afterwards, my bottom hurts. What could this be? Is it associated with the laparoscopic cholecystectomy?

I wanted to ask you how the c-section and gallbladder surgery were similar or different?, as I've had the laparoscopic cholecystectomy gallbladder surgery about 3 yrs ago and I will now be delivering my baby thru c-section. My recovery time with gallbladder was 2 weeks but I found the pain/pressure of the organ being removed lasted up to 12 months along with my body's pressence of all the extra air that had to be absorbed thru the organs. I also experienced some soft stools and feel that the bile released from your gallbladder is now being released by your liver and perhaps it takes a while for the liver to function properly as it hasn't had to function at such high capacity before.

for years after removal of my gallbladder I suffered between diarrhea and constipation. Finally, a gastrointestinal doc said since I no longer had a "bladder" to hold the bile and deliver for digestion in spirts from my liver, it was now free flowing from the liver into the stomach when I ate. He said that would usually happen first meal of the day since the bile was sitting in my stomach now instead of my gallbladder. He gave me welchol a cholestoral drug to take before my first meal - one a day. After years of embarrasment and chronic cramps and pain I could not believe it....it all went away! I mean from 4-5 times a week being sick to maybe 2-3 times a year. Why don't they tell everybody this when they do the surgery so at least you know!

the diarrhea is experienced because your liver is constantly secreting bile, instead of just when you eat something fatty. therefor your stomach doesn't have to wait for your gall bladder to let the bile into your stomach after you eat. plus, you have more bile sitting in your stomach at all times without your gall bladder, because the bile isn't controlled.

and i also had a c-section. i got gallstones during my pregnancy, which is common. the recovery of the gallbladder removal, assuming its laprascopic, is nothing compared to the c-section recovery. the recovery time for a c-section, assuming no complications, depends upon how much you move around, or if you baby yourself and hardly ever move. MOVE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE. your recovery time will decrease. however, the incision will most likely bother you for quite some time. it will itch like crazy while it's healing. which is normal. but it will be tender for months. some say 6-12. it depends upon your body. i had one 3 months ago, and when my jeans or underwear rub up against it it's extremely irritating.

I have had 3 c-sections in the last 4 years. I am not recovering from having my gallbladder out! My last c-section was on 1-17-09 and in the hospital I was having these attacks. I just thought it was anxiety because my baby was 6 weeks premature and it was a VERY stressful time. My first 2 children were born full term, so to have a preemie the 3rd time around when I was expecting it to be a breeze was awful! Not to mention horribly scary! Anyway, I suffered from these attacks for 7 months, with countless trips to the ER. It took having an attack at my Mom's house one night to figure it out. She took one look at me and knew immediately what it was! She drove me to the ER while my husband took the little ones home and demanded they looked at my gallbladder. Sure enough, it was over 50% stones and the rest was sludge, which it the stuff that forms stones! Good 'ole Mom's! Do they know best or what?! I had to have one surgery to remove a stone that had dislodged from my gallbladder and gotten stuck somewhere else. They did that by putting a scope down my throat....yuck. I was under for this, and the recovery wasn't bad at all. Horrible sore throat for a few hours, but that was it. I had to stay overnight in the hospital because they were taking my gallbladder out the next day. That surgery was "easy" compared to my c-sections! Night and day on recovery time. You can barely move, lay down, get up, etc after a c-section without extreme pain. I was up and moving around, on my own, a few hours after surgery. Basically once the anesthesia wore off. I was still on some pretty good pain meds, but that's to be expected. HOWEVER, my friend had her gallbladder out and has never had a c-section. Her deliveries were all vaginal. She thought the recovery from the gallbladder was horrible!!! I guess it just depends on your own situation! I'm only a week out from having mine removed so I don't know the long term effects, but my guess is they will be good! MUCH better than having 3-4 attacks a week and being in so much pain that I couldn't breathe! It felt like I was in labor again! Severe, severe pain that you can't get away from no matter what. (I went into labor all 3 times with my children. #1 was to the pushing stage when she got stuck and ended up w the emergency c-section....#2 I tried to do a VBAC (Vag Birth After Cesarean) and my uterus ruptured....so....when I went into labor with #3 it was a c-section w/in 15 minutes of reaching the hospital!!) Good luck to all!

Oh my goodness, I have been researching this for a year now and finally found an answer. I had the surgery 1 year ago on 2/25/11 and this started happening to me at about the 5 month point and it is still going on. I never know what is going to trigger it and it is crazy. I didn't understand why the morning was worse but this makes since now.

whats the answer to the above problem

I too have loose stools and constipation at the same time. Not sure how that can be. I read the article about the cholesterol medication helping this problem and will ask my Dr about that.  At least there is a possible solution to my problem. The surgeons nurse said take fiber ( not good in my case) just more severe cramping. The only thing so far is a herbal laxative for constipation. It has been 3 months since surgery