Is it my GERD or something more...

When i was told i had GERD, age 22, they gave me the zantac and it worked quite well. That was 2 years ago and the zantac no longer works. In fact my GERD went away for more than a year i never had a problem with it. Well in the last week or two it's come back and in full force. I've had chest pain for the past 7 or so days. Hasn't gone away. Standing up causes aches a lot but seldom debilitating. When i swallow anything whether it be liquid or solid it hurts severely. With the help of the zantac it's gotten better but still hurts quite a bit. Even swallowing water. Essentially it feels like heartburn in my esophagus. With that i've been getting the hickups constantly. Sometimes a couple times a day if not more. My quess is from the erritation of my esophagus. Usually before the cause of it was eating to much chocolate but i don't eat that much of it anymore. Now it just hasn't gone away. I don't have any irritation to spicy foods or anything like that. I can handle spicier foods than what most people can. It's one of my favorite kinds of food but now it's to anything i swallow.

Should i just break down and go back to the doctor? Is it my GERD getting worse or something else?