Hi Everyone!

I've had a really frustrating last few months and wanted to share my story with hopes that someone else could relate.

A few months ago, I started experiencing this weird throat pressure and fullness. It almost feels like someone is pressing on my throat. Also, I have excessive mucus on the back of my throat, a cough, and itchy throat at times too. This is pretty much CONSTANT! At times I also feel like my throat is constricting from the inside (If that makes sense) It it the most AWFUL feeling I've ever experienced.

I went to see a gastro doc, and he did and Upper Endoscopy which showed Mild Reactive Esophagitis and Mild Gastritis. (I also have GERD) *Of note, I also have a sore and tender stomach, have had this for months too!

I was taking some acid reducers (Zantac  / Omeprazole) before the throat issue started, and I'm now on Protonix.

I pretty much feel this 24/7 and it's so hard, because I'm a nursing student, and I work Part-time - - - I'm constantly on the go, and constantly in discomfort! It is really draining. I am so sick of my throat bothering me. I do have "better" days, and then some days are absolutely awful.

Can an inflammed throat cause this much discomfort? I know I have acid reflux, although I don't think it's that severe. I feel like although I was diagnosed with Mild Esophagitis, that maybe there is something else going on too? I am soooooooooooooooo frustrated.

I've seen an allergist, couldn't find any allergies - put me on some Zyrtec anyways. I've tried anti-anxiety meds (much to my dismay, b/c I hate taking anything at all) and they didn't help. This is NOT an anxiety issue!

I do need to lose about 20lbs and clean up my diet, so I'm working on that - - I've looked up LPR, and some of my symptoms fit that too. I just worry that after taking 6 weeks of the PPI's that this won't get any better? Plus, the side effects really suck (Dizziness / Fatigue) and then there is NO relief in the meantime.

I've had tons of blood tests, upper endoscopy, barium swallow with biopsies. So, no Cancer. Liver / Kidney / Blood Counts are all within normal range. No infections either. I guess I just have to trust the doctors and wait this out.

Has anyone tried any home remedies to get some relief? Has anyone else felt this throat thickness/pressure/mucus thing with acid reflux?

Thank you all for your comments and support. I'm at my wits end with this!

I feel like we have very similar issues. I lost my voice about 2 and a half years ago. I had gotten sick, and lost it and got over being sick and my voice never came back. Shortly after getting over being sick, I discovered a mold issue. We took care of it and I had a dehumidifier to make sure it stayed all good, but still no voice. I had never had acid reflux in my life, but shortly after all this throat issue, I have heartburn, practically everyday. Some days are ok when I talk, but even on a "good day", people think I'm sick. It constantly feels like I have pressure on my throat like it's being squeezed, and I'm constantly trying to clear my throat of mucus that I can never get rid of... I went to a doctor when I still had insurance, and he thought I had a thyroid issue, but all my blood tests came back clear and even an ultrasound came back clear. Doctor didn't have an explanation and LITERALLY got told "it is what it is". I no longer have insurance, so I can't get a second opinion at the moment, but I can't seem to get any relief. Hopefully someone out there can also relate and possibly have an answer (or possible lead to an answer). I should be getting insurance soon and be able to try and figure this out or at least rule some other things out. It's the most frustrating thing and it hurts sometimes, I can't wait to feel "normal" again...

I have this exact same thing, which is basically the same issue that the other guess 2 weeks ago seems to have as well. Like you both, I had all kinds of tests done over the last few YEARS, yes, years... nothing turned out abnormal in any way, except a polyp on my vocal chord they saw a couple years ago, which hasn't been rechecked. Anyhow, I think all my issues started from an upper endoscopy done by a hack here in MASS back in 2006. IMMEDIATELY following the scope, after waking, I had the problems I have now, that I had never had before, the exact same throat problems you both have described, fullness of the throat, throat closing, needing to swallow constantly, feeling that saliva or SOMETHING in my throat never goes down. I also have GERD, but in the last year or so hasn't been bad at all, yet the symptoms are actually worse than ever. Though it 'makes me happy' that I've found others with similar ailments, you can understand how that doesn't make me happy, since none of us have answers, and our Drs. chock it up to us imagining things or just not taking us seriously, or just plain don't care. It's frustrating to no end, especially since sometimes I literally can't swallow, even water... that's AFTER I take (for self diagnosis) attivan (anti-anxiety med). Still the problem is there... it's REAL, and scary. I really have problems with the mechanics of my throat motivity. It isn't working as it should. Should have sued that guy before the Stature of Limitations was up. Then, had another Dr., and ENT take my tonsils out to see if that helped (elective), NOPE, in fact, made it worse, since I had complications after the fact from that surgery. Part of my throat deteriorated from the burning hot tools, making breathing, especially lying down, very tough, as the back of my throat just isn't shaped the same way anymore. Yeah, this sucks. I know how you both feel. Helpless, and like you're in a pool filled with Great Whites. Meaning, there doesn't seem to be a light at the end of the tunnel, only that I'm fodder ready to be devoured. Hopefully someone gets an answer. I'm thinking, as much as I don't want another ERG (endoscope), I need that dilation/stretching done on my throat again, to ease up the pressure in there. Hopefully that helps. UNFORTUNATELY, I read online a couple days ago, and saved the article about it, that endoscopes are impossible to sterilize/clean completely, given all the cavities and extreme heat needed to properly clean them would damage the scopes... so they just aren't cleaned properly. Ugh... tell me about it.

I can totally relate to all of this, since 2007. but I do get relief when I juice Organic carrots, celery, etc. eat smaller meals too. I now am starting thyroid meds, and gaining weight, go figure, but starting to feel better at least. The junk in my throat in the morning as I lay in bed, the bubbling of acid in my throat, the GERD, taking Protonix, side effects, and feeling nausa, the whole dance is exhausting. I am going to start the Gerson Therapy if it gets any worse. All the best....

I understand what your going through I have acid reflux and gastritis, I have this feeling soemthing is putting pressure on my neck, I have chest and back pains this has been going on for more then 1 month now doctors did chest xray and say my lungs are fine they tell me its anxiety and stress I don't believe them but now frustrated dont know what it is im sooooooo tired of the pain just want to go home and sleep depressed

it is absolute hell. I feel dizzy all the time and my throat feels as if i am being strangled i am so scared. I had a barium Swallow and currently awaiting the results.

Just had to say, this post could have been written by me. This throat-closing feeling started two years ago. Switched diet. Quit smoking. Elected to have tonsils out. Nothing has helped. Doctors shrug and just offer up another round of tests or referrals to someone else - GI, ENT, Thyroid. But everything comes back negative and they act like I'm imagining it. I've never had anxiety or stress problems, but not being able to breathe or swallow properly is seriously giving me a stress problem!

Hi Guest, I know the feeling as I have had it about 2 months now and I'm wondering whether you have been cured of this frustrating "thing". I don't know what it is and I find that causes me to be anxious. The doctor did a cardiograph and all is well. He said it is reflux and I have been on Omeprazole for 2 months now. Please can you tell me if it eventually goes away. Beside myself now and so frustrated. Thank you so much.

Hi. Same thing here. Did you ever get it resolved?

I am 68 years old and boy can I relate. Never had any problems that I know of. Now all of a sudden this. Very similar and extremely difficult to describe the pain but you sound as close as I might describe. To me it feels similar to what you're describing plus at times like somebody gave me a karate chop to the throat and then squishing it. At times it seems to radiate toward my bronchial tubes or chest yet hard to describe exactly where. The Doctors cannot see anything, all my vitals are normal, and so far all tests O.K. ?? Every appears to be normal but the pain can be fairly excruciating at times - sometimes short duration and sometimes long duration. This is a mystery and I hope you and others find the solution. ( My glands/tonsils seem to puff up when this happens but nothing showing ??? ) 75-80% of the time I can massage my throat/neck and it helps the pain to lessen or subside for a while. If anyone finds out what this is, please,please publish it.

I am grateful to find others. I was Googling how to massage my throat and esophagus. I have been experiencing the tightness in my throat which feels like I am slowly being choked out for about 13 years. Yes...13 years! I go into major panic attacks when I'm going to eat something because I usually choke. I have allergies to nuts and seeds and probably gluten as I constantly cough and choke when trying to eat bread. I originally that it was just allergies/anxiety. I went threw the barium swallow every ultrasounds, xrays, blood & urine test as well as sticking the longest tube ever down my throat while I was awake to bbe able to test my muyscle reflex or something. I ended upp not eating solid food for 3 years. I lived on boost and ensure as I lost the muscle at the back whem the throiat meets the tongue. I was on ativan for 5 years to just be able to swallow water some days. Everything came back negative for cancer or any true diagnosis. I eventually taught myself to eat food again as through part of this time I was pregnant then raising my son. I started with his baby food. It took 8 months paired with ativan 3 time a day, anti-depressants daily With a lovely diagnosis of social anxiety and globus phenomena. Which really means it's all in my head. I had surgery in a couple of years ago and had a horrible experience when I woke up. I did get the full story from my own doctor and even calling the surgeon. I woke up after surgery and was immediately told I need to pack a paper around with me and get a medical alert bracelet asap stating that I was difficult to intubate and needed to be awake. Which technically means of I'm unconscious and choking it don't have an airway...I will need a trachatomy. Obviously doesn't help my anxity/fear about choking. All due to the tightness in my throat and for whatever reaction that I had in surgery, my guess is I seized or something and they had to remove the intubation tube quickly as I started losing all my top teeth because of it. Though they didn't admit it I think they pulled/tire the tube out and cracked my teeth. Yay! Sporting top dentures as my teeth were just dropping out. And still no throat diagnosis. If anyone finds something that works please share. I'm exhausted and my throat is so tight.