So is there anyone explain the HBa1C and the 90 day average?  How exactly does it work because i don't understand it.  I admit I had a bumpy first two months of watching my diet and doing exercise, but the third month I did pretty darn good, but my a1C was still 9.  I was pretty miffed about that.  How do I get that number to go down?

HbA1c is an average that reflects your blood sugars for the last 3 months before the test.  This is done by measuring the amount of glucose on the hemoglobin in your blood cells.  These molecules live for an average of three month before dying.  That is why the test is done every 3 months.  They are a good indication of your average blood sugar reading during that time.  It is interesting to note that the averages from your at-home testing are lower than your A1c, up to 20% lower.  This isn't saying that the meter testing is inaccurate.  It's that they measure in different ways.  Both are important in determining where you are at in the management of your diabetes.  You mentioned that two of your months were not too good as far as glucose control.  Your A1c reflected those bad months even though they were not the most recent activity.  It IS an average of the three months, no matter if you were good the last month.  You will see a better number when you are following your diet and adding exercise for the whole time period.

I got a chart from my dietician that explains what certain blood sugars are compared to A1c results. Like if you run around 130 all the time (as an average) you will run about an A1c of between 5.9 and 6. It makes it nice to strive for certain results.