My child is 5 years old and he has some serious problem. Since the birth he had occasional troubles with infections. Now he is suffering from pneumonia. But that is not all. After a number of tests doctors are suspecting that he has granulomatous liver disease. They are waiting for some results and they are not willing to tell me more until they are sure. What could cause this illness and how to treat it?

There are many possible causes of this illness. Some of them are: primary biliary cirrhosis, sarcoidosis, inflammatory bowel disease, Hodgkin’s disease, bacteria, some viruses and parasites, reaction to some drugs like phenytoin, allopurinol, quinidine etc. The best treatment is early recovery and aggressive use of appropriate antibiotics. It is important to determine exact cause of infection in order to use the proper antibiotics.