I took my baby for his one year check this week and the doctor says he's not gained any weight for 6 months. He was on the weight/height charts at about 50% and now has dropped to the 5th%. He dropped equally in both height and weight.
What is the doctor looking for and what will the results tell him?
AJ

I hope someone responds to this because my 13 month old hasn't gained weight either in the last several months. I am concerned because I have thyroid problems and when he was born, they did his PKU blood test but said that his thyroid numbers were off - when retested, everything was normal but I still wonder. Thanks!

The doctor may be looking for hyperthyroidism or graves desease. Hyperthyroidism may effect the growth of the baby.

Hi there,
To be honest I didn’t heard before that even babies can have problems with thyroid gland. But it seems that his is correct because if your baby didn’t gain any weight it means that her metabolism is not functioning properly. And if someone’s metabolism if not functioning properly it usually points out to hyperthyroidism. I have read that hyperthyroidism is very rare in children and the most of these conditions are caused by Grave’s disease. The good thing about this is that it is very treatable and there are several options for treatment. I think that doctors will usually suggest performing a surgery on your babies in order to get rid of Grave’s disease.
All the best,
Danella