I have one thing that I really don't understand. I always believed that urine color can change only when you are sick or if you are dealing with some serious illness. But today my good friend told me that this is not true and that there are so many other ways that can cause urine to change its color. She told me that once her urine was green because of some foods that she was eating too much. Tell me, is that really true? What foods can change your urine color to black, green or even red? Le me know!

Tnx!

Hi there,

Yes, it happens that some foods change your urine color but it happens rarely because you have to eat really big amounts of these things in order for your urine color to change.

When it comes to red, beets, blackberries and rhubarb can turn urine red. Orange, for example, can be caused by carrots. Some brightly colored food dyes can cause green urine but nothing else, at least that is what I think. It goes the same for black urine as well, only some dark colored food dyes are capable of causing your urine color to turn black. I hope that this was helpful.

I had orange urine once, I was so freaked out, I couldn't believe my eyes, it seemed so unnatural and it got me scared, like really scared. I knew it at the minute that I saw my orange urine that I have to talk to my doctor about it and so I did, I went to talk to him the day after, I did some kind of a test and it turned out that everything was okay with me. My doctor thinks that carrots were responsible for this actually because I normally eat a lot of carrots but he said that he wasn't quite sure.

Oh I love blackberries and I can eat tons of them and I usually do, whenever there are any but I never had red urine, I didn't even think that it is possible, I guess I would have freaked out if that ever happened to me. I did hear that it can cause red urine color but I never really believed in it, I thought that these were just some stupid rumors that old people spread because they are feeling sick all the time and stuff like that, I only believed it once my friend had a problem with abnormal urine color (we went to the doctor together).

It is just as Chameleon Color wrote above, those are exactly the foods which can change your urine color, there are not many of these foods so it should be easy to memorize them: carrots can cause dark yellow or orange urine, asparagus can cause green urine color, beetroot, blackberries, and rhubarb can all cause pink or red urine color and fava beans, and rhubarb again can be the cause of brown urine color. I am not sure if these foods are all the foods which can cause your urine color to change but these are the ones that I know about.

I know that strawberries are on neither one of your lists of things that can cause you urine color to change but I think that these actually changed my urine color to red once. I had bunch of these, I never thought that a person was able to eat so many strawberries and when I went to the toilet later, my urine color was red. I went to talk to my doctor and he told me that it is impossible for my urine to turn red because of the strawberries that I ate but the tests that I did showed that nothing was wrong with me.

Good day everyone. I was dealing with green urine a couple of months ago and I believed that this is not possible. But seeing is believing, so when I went to the toilet again I notice that my urine is green - again. Or should I say still? Because I am a huge coward I went to see my doctor immediately and he asked me what I was eating. Don't laugh now, but I was eating asparagus...A lot of asparaguses :/ It looks like that eating this grocery can cause urine to develop a greenish note and also develop a different odor. I don't know did my urine had an odor or not, but it was green. Well, I was at some diet program and this diet program requires eating a lot of asparaguses so I did. And that was the main cause why my urine color was changed. So, yes...It can.

I feel much better now. Thank you. Anyway, I just can't remember what exactly I was eating for the last couple of days since my urine is now...I don't know what color is that exactly - green or blue, I just can't determine. Anyway, now since I have no idea what is the cause of this, is it really necessary to visit my doctor to determine what is going on with me? Maybe it is nothing serious, but I just can't remember what I was eating. I need to admit that I am a bit scared because I am afraid that this can be caused by some health issue and I am afraid what my doctor can tell me....

Hey there Where Have You Been,

I understand that you are worried but you need to know that your doctor can't help you determine what types of groceries you were eating and what is the main cause of your blue or green urine. It is, in the most cases, caused by foods, but it can be caused by some other things, such as dehydration.

Make sure that you drink enough water each day. Until you go and visit your doctor, make sure that you are doing something and of course, observe your urine every time when you go to the toilet, to see are there any changes. 

I had orange and red urine as well. Red urine was because I had some health issues, so don't fool yourself that you have red urine because you have eaten something that you should not or that you ate a lot of something that might cause that. So, it is very important to see your doctor as soon as you see that your urine is red. There is no excuse for this. When my urine was orange, everything was ok, but I was eating too many carrots and peaches. I didn't believe that peaches can change the color of the urine, but it looks like that this is true. Tangerines also can affect your urine color.