I got my period two weeks ago and it last a few days longer than normal. I am still spotting a little bit now. What could be the problem? I am 44 years old.

I sympathize with you. In Nov. 2006 I had a period which I though was normal it was heavier than normal, I always went five days, but this time I was still spotting for about 8 days after my stopping date. Then it would stop and start all over again. I thought I was under alot of stress at the time. Let it go till Jan, well my dates changed and this time I bleed for two weeks and it let up lightly almost a spotting then it would all of a sudden get heavy all through the month. I got scared called my doctor and she told me she could get me in till Feb. I told her how I was bleeding for the past couple of months and she said I wasn't going through the change oh I was 48 yrs. So I tried patiently waiting till Feb, the bleeding ended up going on but it was so heavy and it now lasted 15 days stop about a week and started all over again. Missed my appointment in Feb. due to snow storm. Called doctors office and they were closed called the next day and they said they had to close due to storm and I couldn't get in till August. I said what???????????? I need help. I am bleeding practially 20 days or more a month. They scheduled me for August. Mean while by April I was depressed, scareder, The bleeding was now almost all month with a few day breaks. I finally found a doctor who was taking new patients and I got to see her at the end of July. Well like I said I was under alot of stress meaning I have two sons in military, plus one daughter-in-law, one son having just had a baby which I couldn't go see because they live 1600 miles away and it met I had to fly which I couldn't due to my bleeding, I mean I was leaking all the time. At least every hour and a half if I didn't change it was all over, son didn't understand my problem and was mad at me, other son and wife were overseas, husband lost job in May and we only had insurance till the second week of Jan2008, father-in-law was dying at home with cancer spend practically everyday with him and mother in law. Plus just worrying if we were going to make it on his unemployment we are one paycheck family anyways, but even if I had to go to work there was no way. July came I was honest with the doctor telling her that if anything needed done any surgeries they had to be done before the end of the year because of insurance running out. (big mistake) I was very upset with this doctor for being a woman she didn't act like she cared. By this time I would go places carrying a bag of wash cloth towels, change of clothes and soap. Thank God I did because this was a nightmare for me. I was packing 3 tampons and two pads with me had been like this since about April. The nurse wanted me to take everything off and I told her I couldn't and why then the doctor came in and she wanted to examine meI told her I would bleed all over. Well she examined me then after while i was sitting up on table she talked to me for about 15 minutes while I was sitting in blood, then she says she wanted to take a biopsy of my uterus we did that. She also informed me that she couldn't do a hysterectomy because of my insurance I would take so long to heal and of course you know the insurance would have run out. She perscribed a pill that was suppose to stop the bleeding, I can't remember what it was called it started with a "P". I was suppose to take them for 10 days. Well after my office visit. I had a mess to clean up. Thank God I had soap, towels, wash cloth and more pads, and tampons with me because these idiots did nothing for me. As they left the room I was told to go ahead and get dressed. They didn't even offer me the use of their sink and water and no offer of a towel and washcloth. I was very upset. Well I was suppose to get a phone call with the results of the biopsy one week later. So I went home started takeing the pills. I spotted the first two days on the third day the bleeding stopped. I took all 10 pills, this brought me up to August , after those pills were done I thought how terrific no bleeding well three days later I bleed just as heavy and the results of the biopsy still weren't in, but the doctor did call in the perscription for more of the pills. She said it might take up to two months for it to work. The following week I had to call the doctor to see if the results were in they found nothing. Took the pills again and I bleed all ten days plus the next three or four weeks by Sept 7, I woke up from 2:30 am to 8:30am I had to take 7 showers and I was crying leaving a trail of blood through my house my husband wanted me to go to hospital, but I told him I wanted to talk to the doctor she said to call if I ever had any problems with the pills, so at 8:45 I called and left a voice mail which she said she always checks told her I was scared didn't know if I should go to local hospital seeing she was 60 miles away, I thought she might want me to go into the city so she could take care of me. I told my husband I would be alright to go help his friend who need some work done but to come home and check on me at noon. He did and I told him I would give it till 2:30 then I was going to emergency room. We ended up going to our local emergency room and the doctors couldn't believe what that doctor did by then I also had set up a new appointment for the 17th of september with a new Man doctor. The emergency room doctor called the new doctor and told him what was going on, I was trying not to get hysterical, they to wanted me to take the plugs out but I refused till they were ready to come in and help me. By this time my blood pressure reading was 205/178, the bleeding was in triple amount. I unplugged and the floor and cabinets were red. The nurses and doctors were getting worried, I was getting scareder. My husband I sent to walmart to get new underwear because I forgot to bring any clean clothes. I missed all this part. My new doctor appointment was moved up to the following monday, this day was friday, he wasn't even in his office when the doctors were talking to him. He put me on the pills again and it slowed down the bleeding some. That monday I went to the appointment and he was shocked. He had to do a pap test but the bleeding wasn't as bad by then. He said the woman doctor he was apalled that she never contacted me, let alone didn't do anything for me. He said she could have done a d & c which probably would have helped slow or stop the bleeding. He ordered a whole line of blood test. I begged him to stop this. It was going on a year. He said he wanted to see me after the test I said okay. As soon as the results of my blood test came back he called me instead of having me show up for appointment he said he wanted a sonagram done of my uterus done inside, and I was not to come back to him until I went to my family doctor. He wanted my blood pressure checked with him and I wasn't to leave the office till that doctor contacted him. I also had a thyroid problem levels were low. He did say that there was alot of thickening in my utereus and he wanted to schedule a d & c. which is just as easy out for the doctors, I asked him why he doesn't just take it all out I have been done having children since I was 34 and that I was into grandchildren now. He said we would talk about it at my next appointment oh yes my immune system was breaking down fast he told me. Next appointment I went in as soon as he said d & c I said can you guarantee that the bleeding will stop and go back to normal he said no, I said I want all of this gone. He then told me is that what you really wanted, I said yes, then and only then did he discuss hysterectomy a complete one is what I have. That way I didn't have to worry about ovarian cancer, uterian cancer, or cervical. while I was in his office he read my blood test and he had the nurse come in and prick my finger. A little while she came back showed him a paper and they whispered and he said he wanted my finger pricked again. She came back and he said he was concerned because while I was sitting there my blood counts were getting worse. We scheduled a hysterecomy for 3 weeks later. I took those "P" pills (the ones I can't remember what the name is, but they were to stop the bleeding) I took them every day plus I was on a strong dose of iron and vitamin C. Which he told me I should take vitamin C everyday it was good for me. Hysterecotomy went fine I was in the hospital for about 3 or 4 days They gave me a drip to use for pain and they kept saying to use it and I said what pain I had was bearable. Well except late at night, but I grin and beared it because I couldn't take the drip home anyways. I love this doctor, I healed in record time even before my insurance ran out. I don't want any women to go through what I went through. It wasn't right. As of this day never heard from the women doctor and needless to say I would never recommend her to anyone let alone my old doctor. My old doctor if she cared about her patients she would have worked me in and she didn't. Like I said I love this new doctor. Your symptoms may not be like mine, but again no woman should have to go through what I did. It was a year of my life gone. I wasn't the only one suffering my husband also went through this. Also remember from what I learned as far as the hysterectomy goes, my doctor said he is not suppose to recommend a hysterectomy first it is the patient who has to say I Want the nurse in his office told me to tell him what I wanted done. He always could say no, but I went through so much and between blood pressure going sky high, and the other problems I had he agreed with me it would be for the best. He needed to know mentally I was okay with this. Make sure you have a test done to see if you are nearing menopause, because all the doctors told me I wasn't there yet. If your insurance is due to run out. Don't tell them like I said I was covered till the second week of Jan. and this was in July/Aug plenty of time to have had something done I am just thankful this man doctor came into my life. He even told me he didn't think the d & c would stop it that the thickening in my uterus was so bad. So good luck and I hope it all stops and goes back to normal for you.

Thank you so much for this information. I am going to make an appt with my doctor today. I am so sorry to hear that you had all these problems. I hope that mine aren't as bad as yours.

Have a great day!