prolonged menstrual period for one month or two

i have had a period everyday for the last five months but have been to worried to go to the doctors what could this be?

i had a period for 3 months straight.. that was the longest i have 1.. when i went to my obgyn, she gave me iron pills and a ten day pill that help the first time.. my period was missing for about 2 months but then came normally..but a year after that, it happened again exactly 1 year later.. it help then too.. same thing happened all over.. 6 months after the second time i took the pills, my period came back on and this time the pills didnt help...
all i can really say is that you should ask for the 10 day pill.. it really helps..

%-)
Hi everyone!
Im seventeen, and I have been on my period for the last two months. It has been pretty normal. No cramps or anything, heavy on and off but lots of clotting in the middle. I am a cheerleader, so I am very active, always on the go, and I am very small. Could any of these have an effect on my situation? Im nervous as to what could be wrong, or if i should just not worry about it! If anyone has anything that could help me! I would GREATLY appreciate it! Thanks!

hi i had a miscariage 5 months ago and since then have been bleeding heavly, only stopping for maybe a week then starting again, i have had 2 scans and aparently they both were inconclusive i now have to wait 5 months to get a public gyno to see me, im woried all this will stop me getting pregnant again. wat do u think? thanx

I had my m/c naturally on may 5 2007. I went through about 10 days of bleeding (some of it almost hemorrhage-like). After about 18 days of no bleeding, I started my period on june 2. I have been bleeding since then- some heavy days, some light days. My physical activities have definitely influenced the amount of bleeding I have - simply going for a walk gives me a heavy flow. I have also experienced occasional dizziness. I did hormone level blood tests and talked with my OBGYN, and she feels that my bleeding is within normal limits. I was told to take Advil to slow my bleeding down, and if I bleed through more than tampon/pad per hour for several hours, to call her back or go into the emergency room. I am also not able to take birth control pills (another alternative offered by my OBGYN to end the bleeding). Has anyone else had this experience? If so, are there any alternatives (acupuncture, diet, etc.)?

I am 25 years old, and for the past year and a half... I've been on my period almost CONSTANTLY. It's really putting a strain on my marriage.

The times that I have gotten a break, for the most part, the breaks have only lasted for a day or 2. A lot of the time I just have moderate spotting, but sometimes I will so heavily that I soak through a pad every 30 minutes to an hour or so. That usually lasts for about 2 weeks, then the period slows downs, ends for a day or 2, and then starts over again.

I'm sick of this. I don't know that I can actually get examined by a Gyno, though, since the bleeding just won't stop long enough to schedule an appointment.

I'm 18, and have been on Tricyclen for about three years. For my grad I was supposed to be on my period, so I decided to skip the week off and just start a new pack right away. So my period was delayed for about two days and then I got it anyways, and it hasn't stopped for two months now. I went to my doctor, who put me on Marvelon instead, but it hasn't helped yet. I've only had two, two day breaks, and I'm getting pretty angry, and worried. I'd ask my doctor, but she honestly has no idea what she's doing and hardly speaks English, so could someone help me out?

I posted a reply on 6/25/07. I wanted to follow up just in case my solution helps someone else. I went the the doctor on 6/28/07 after having a very heavy period since 6/2/07. After doing bloodwork and an ultrasound, the doctor found that my body was producing excess estrogen and I had an absence or dificency of progesterone. I was also anemic from loosing so much blood. I started taking progestin (this is my second day), which is a synthetic progesterone. My bleeding reduced significantly the first day, and seems to have stopped today!
After finding out my diagnosis, I started doing more internet research on the matter. I googled "excess estrogen", and found some very good information. It may have been why I miscarried, and why I have had problems with my cycle in the past. I am going to do a follow up with my doctor and see what she thinks.
I hope this helps.

I'm 14 years old, and since I started my period three years ago, I've had no cramps. The only problem I've had is that I bleed very heavily and I want to go on birth control but my doctor won't give it to me unless I have a pap smear, and I don't want to have one. EVER. So, can someone help me please; I really don't know what to do and my friend has the same problem. We both lose a lot of blood for 10- sometimes 12 days. And sometimes we have it for a whole month. We've also gone for two months once or twice before. What should we do? :-(

The thing is, is you have to get a pap.. there is no way around it. If you want to go on birth control then the doctor has to make sure you are alright to go on it and what would be the best kind for you. Also just so you know its not that bad, its 3 mins and your done and over with it. And its good so you can know that you are healthy, i dont think girls get how important paps are. Sorry its probably not the answer you were looking for i know.. Also since you are bleeding take iron pills or eat good food with iron in them, to help your blood levels. If you are loosing so much then you may want to get blood work done to make sure your not anemic. Hope this helps some

Alright so, I have been on birth control for a couple years now, and have had some problems with spotting so i would switch to a different type or bc. I started a new birth control and just actually switched after seeing 3 different gynos and doctor, because I have been having my period for over 6 months now! >:( Mostly heavy, sometimes not so much, and some how im not anemic yet??!?!? Any way no one is giving me answers and my period now on this new birth control is making it worse! Even more pains and heavier. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know cause im going to go crazy...

I know that I'm going to sound like a nut, but here goes. I am a 41-year-old woman who was having a period that would not stop - it had been going on for about 4 months and I had been to my doctor (both my GP and my gynocologist). My gyno. did numerous tests and could find nothing wrong with me. But the bleeding continued. She put me on the progesterin-only birth control pill and it seemed to help (lessen the flow), but my period didn't stop. My gyno. wanted to schedule me for an endometrial ablation (surgery where they burn off the outside layer of your uterus and in most cases you quit bleeding altogether), but I told her I wanted to wait a while (cuz I'm a chicken).

A couple of weeks later,l I got sick with the flu. I was in bed for several days and wasn't eating like I normally do. My period stopped the 2nd day of my flu. I got better after the 3rd day and resumed eating normally (which for me means fruit for breakfast, sandwich or tuna for lunch and meat & veggies for dinner with a tall glass of milk). My period started up again the very next day. It seemed really odd to me that I had a period that lasted for months, it stops for only two days, and then starts right back up again.

About a week later, I read something on the Internet about how dairy cows are injected with some kind of growth hormone to make them produce more milk and that that hormone is in basically all of the milk we drink -- unless you buy organic milk or milk that is specifically labeled as being "hormone free." So, the very next weekend, I went out and bought some milk that was labeled "hormone free," thinking I had nothing to lose by switching, really. That was 2 weeks ago and my period stopped 4 days after switching to the hormone free milk.

I am fully aware that this could all just be sheer coincidence, but I thought I would share my experience -- just in case it's not a coincidence.

ktrayvaughan thank you so much for your post. I've had light/heavy bleeding since May 31!! It started as really light spotting and was actually a brownish color, so I thought it would actually just go away. Some days there would be no bleeding, but the minute I had intercourse, the bleeding would start. It's now July 14 and already I've gone through nearly 25 super and about 20 super plus tampons, not to mention nearly a dozen pads!!! It's the most annoying thing ever.

A while back I was trying to get pregnant and found that I wasn't ovulating, so my obgyn put me out fertility drugs that would supposedly increase my progesterone levels. I ended up having to come off of the pills, and that's when my periods became sort of irregular again. The last normal cycle I had was April 15 and then nothing until this craziness at the end of May. My husband's about to go crazy b/c of this prolonged bleeding. I have an appt. with my doc on Friday, so I'm wondering if the progesterone problem is also the cause.

My menstruals have been messed since I was a tweenager. I can go for months without having one. Just last year I had a period that lasted on medium flow for three months and then in the fourth month switched to heavy flow where I was unable to wear a super abosrbency tampon WITH overnight pad without overflowing. No one really understood why I'd never leave the house. Cramping would last for months and months whether I was having a period or not. Earlier this year my gyno gave me Yasmin birth control pills to see if it could "balance it out." Frankly it hasn't really done a friggin thing for me. I don't have breakouts nearly as bad as I did so it's done wonders for my skin, but my cramping has more than doubled painwise. I can't sleep at night and it's been like this for over a month. Originally we thought it was my bladder because it's in the same area as where the uterus is and I hadn't had my period in two months. I started spotting three weeks ago and started medium flow two weeks ago and it doesn't look to be going away any time soon (which is a pain because I seriously would appreciate it stopping). I am a candidate for endometriosis, which is where endometrion tissue grows outside the uterus. It can show up anywhere in your body (organ wise people, not in your feet or anything weird like that lol) and even be potentially life threatening. With nowhere for this tissue to go it turns in to cysts and/or scarred tissue. I advise most of you discuss the possibility with your gyno because a lot of the symptoms mentioned can be affiliated with this wretched condition. I have no idea what my options are now because birth control is obviously doing squat for me, I don't ever want children so can't I just voluntarily have my uterus lining laser burned?! There are a few websites that provide home remedies as to suppress menstrual flow, of course if you're anything like me you want it to cease all together.
Cheers!