I just had a rhinoplasty 1 week ago just to correct the bump on my nose, nothing else was touched. I look like a lion with a hugh bridge and big heavy tip. I keep reading most swelling goes down within a week. My needs to go down another 75% to look normal. Can someone share their experience with the healing time. Very upset and want my old nose back!

Hi galcee, I had my open rhinoplasty Tuesday of last week (july 1). I had my cast and stitches removed yesterday morning and was horrified at the swelling! Post op, my swelling and bruising was pretty bad-eyelids were purple and eyes almost swollen shut. Almost all of that swelling and bruising is gone now, but the bridge and tip of my nose are extremely wide and swollen still. My PS said it is still 40% swollen and will take about 3 weeks before it starts looking normal. Today, my nose looks a little better already! Hope this helps!

I had nose surgery 9 months ago. It took 8 months for my face to return to normal. They say sometimes a year.

I am today one week post op and still am very swollen in tip and bridge. My doc assured me that this will be temporary and the nose will look great in a few weeks. Just be patient!

I had rhinoplasty performed on me to correct a pig-like nose on Friday, July 25 and I had my splint removed yesterday. I look horrible! My nose resembles a pig's even more than before, and my nose is very puffy and swollen. Also, one of my nostrils is really bigger than the other, causing my face to be monstrous right now. My doctor keeps telling me that in a month my nose will look great, but I'm not that patient, and somehow don't quite believe him.
I'm very upset :-(

I had mine done on the 22nd of July and I find my tip to be quite big but the swelling is already going down... however the tip remains big Tuesday makes 2 weeks already.. does anyone know whats going on? I pivked at the scabs , is that bad... i didnt make myself bleed or anything drastic..

I had rhinoplasty 2 weeks ago.
The swelling has gone down a little.. But the tip is still very very swollen, I'm so scared.
I hope the swelling goes down, from the frontal view my nose looks bigger than before :(

I had open tip surgery 8 days ago and had the cast off yesterday.

I was in shock, although my nose is straighter down the bridge and the profile is better, the shape of my nose from the front is awful - it looks like a snout from certain angles as the tip is so big and bulbous.

The surgeon said that it would go down considerably over the next few weeks by about 25% but I don't think that will be enough.

It is a completely different shape nose from my original and looks like I've got a prosthetic nose stuck on my face.

I just spoke to my surgeon on the phone and he said that he saw a lady today who was unsure of her tip after surgery but 3 months on loves her nose.

I can't stand to think I have to face my friends and colleagues with this awful snout for the next 3 months, worse still, if it doesn't go down enough he is already mentioning we may need to 'revisit' it in 6 months.

I'm anxious, upset and scared. I am taking a bit of comfort from those of you who are saying it WILL get better and the swelling will subside in time.

Although I didn't like my old nose - at least is wasn't freakish like my present one.

o.O

I had open rhinoplasty 8 days ago. When the cast was removed yesterday my initial reaction is that my nose looks very long. They corrected my wide bridge so now you can really see the length of my nose. The tip is hard and very round and this morning when I woke up, the entire nose including the bridge looks swollen. Yikes! Reading some of the posts here, I guess this is normal. I think I am going to try ice on it to see if it brings it down any. Remember to be very careful as your nose can shift for the 1st 6 weeks after the surgery. I am massaging it softly per the doctors instruction and trying not to look at it to critically yet. Will update in a week to let you know if anything has changed.

I hope more of you list the surgeon that worked on you.

I got my nose done last Tuesday, making today one week and one day. I got my cast off yesterday and didn't get to take a good look at it in a little hand mirroir. I am HORRIFIED. My sisters and friends keep calling my Penelope, like the movie. I look like a seuss character, very piggy and im calling it swollen. I hate it. especially the tip. I would get a reverse op in a second at this point. I am so embarassed. I am praying it will look better in the days to come.

The good news it that you will be swelled and not see the full results for one year. The bad news is it takes a long time to look better. I also wanted a 2nd surgery after my first month but your nose will get better. Just dont touch it or bump it.

I Had my surgery last Tuesday Nov 18th, I feel a little better, no more bledding, my nose is swollen not bad but since yesterday my upper lip and my left cheeck is swollen, Any suggestion, i was reading and they suggest some warm humid compresses. :-) Thank you Cynthia

I got my nose done on 11/18 as well and got the cast off yesterday. I freaked out when I saw myself. I know it's not my imagination. Nobody has said "it's not as bad as you think" like I wish they would. I'm just mortified. I found a couple sites on which the doctors said 80% of the swelling will go down in a month (my own Dr. said so as well). Please keep sharing your experiences and progress so I can know if this is true! I have to return to work next week and I just can't imagine showing my face. I had heard I'd be swollen, but didn't imagine anything like this. My tip is enormous and bulbous - exactly what I didn't want.

Recent Rhino,

I was also horrified after they toof the splint off. You would think that that your surgery is over but now is the hard part. It took me probally 3 or 4 months until the swelling of my tip went down. It probally took 10 months to one year until the swelling of my face went down. Keep us posted how things work out. Who was your doctor and where did you get it done? I will say that I am happy I had my surgery but my nose is definetly not as strong as it was before. Meaning I would not want to get hit in the nose even a year after surgery.