First time poster. I have arthritis in most of my joints. It is not rheumatoid, but they were all affected pretty much the same time, and I have to use a cane now. This seems odd first of all. But the last few months something else is happening that is quite painful. When I wake up my hands are in a strange kind of fist with my fingers folded in a contorted way under my hand, and they are pushing into my mattress so hard that they are asleep, and my pinky is so sore. The first time I thought I had actually broken my little finger. I massage the hand back into shape, but the little finger stays sore for most of the morning. It is happening almost every night now. Has anyone ever heard of this? I'm worried it is symptomatic of something else.

It is quite possible for the arthritis to cause muscles of your hands to go into involuntary spasms while you are asleep - that involuntary twitching happens more often to the muscles of the face, but it happens to the muscles of the limbs that have been affects by arthritis also. Are you controlling arthritis in any way? I think that it would be a good idea to see your doctor, there are treatments that can relax your muscles during sleep, before any damage to your hands happens.