Hi! My child is diagnosed with Juvenile Arthritis and she is only 9 years old. She was first complaining of pain in her joints, and I thought that she just played or run too much and didn’t think it was something serious I should worry about. Yet in some time I could notice that her joints are kind of stiff and that she cannot make all the normal movements. I took her to the doctor and he explained what it is. Now I am taking care of the child with Juvenile arthritis and honestly I don’t know much about it. Any advice?

It is imperative that you start a full treatment as soon as possible! Early diagnosis and treatment gives children with juvenile arthritis the best opportunity for a good outcome. Your child's treatment will be based on the type of arthritis and her symptoms. The goals are always the same: to control inflammation, relieve pain, prevent joint damage and maximize ability to do every day things. I have one good piece of advice concerning the morning stiffness. Many children suffering from Juvenile Arthritis have stiffness when they get up in the morning or after a nap, so your daughter might too. There are many ways for you to help her overcome it: taking a hot bath, sleeping in a sleeping bag or a sweat suit, sleeping on a heated blanket, doing motion exercises, and using a hot or cold pack. She might do better with warmth, but she might also be better off with cold treatments such as ice-pack. Maybe someone has more advice?

Hello! My son also has Juvenile Arthritis and he is only 8 years old. It is very hard to have the sick child and know that there isn’t much you can do now to stop what is happening to him. What you can do is give your child a lot of family support. The child needs to exercise as much as possible; it needs muscles to support the problematic joints. It is not easy for them though. So you should learn all the exercises the therapist does with your child and make her do it as much as possible.