I have had this for a while now and it has been getting worse. One of the symptoms took a while to associate cause/effect. Basically I get a sharp stinging pain in a tiny spot of my throat on the left, and when this happens, I get so dizzy I have to sit down or I fall over. Like everything turns sideways - kinda like when you have been on the Teacups at disneyland 5 times in a row. Sometimes the pain will happen when I am sleeping and I will wake up, coughing. So I know its a dry throat thing. Lately though, eating can trigger the dizziness too, because it is getting hard to swallow. It happened once while driving, my throat had the dry-spot-painful feeling and i had to pull over off the road. Swallowing saliva fixes it, and I am dizzy for maybe 10-30 seconds. this happens rarely, maybe once or twice a month.

That happens now and then. All the time though: it is getting hard to swallow. I eat something that isn't super soft and mushy, even bread, and it always leaves a little bit behind on the left side of the throat when I swallow. It takes 2-3 swallows to get all the food down when I take a bite, if it isn't oatmeal consistency. It can trigger dizziness occasionally. I am becoming alarmed by it because if the food isn't super slippery or soft I feel like I could choke.

Now recently, I can feel a hard lump in the neck on the left side near my Trachea (the big bony thing on my neck?) that I can move if i smoosh it around. It is hard and I can actually feel it "click" when i smoosh into my trachea. I cant feel it unless I push it on the trachea though. After I smoosh my throat around like this, it becomes tender on the outside and then I feel constant pain in my neck near where the clicky hard lump is.

I always feel like I have a very low grade throat irritation. When I swallow, the movement of my throat down near where the clicky lump is hurts.

I have told my neurologist, but her response was: "huh. make sure you drink lots of water!" I do though, it is hot where I live so i chug the stuff, at least 8 10-oz glasses a day.

I have a first time visit to the ENT, and I want to be a little more informed so I can ask good questions. I can't find anything on these things I've been experiencing that fits all the symptoms, the dizzy-when-swallowing thing is the one that is the weirdest.

Thanks for reading,

Hi there hypnocat!! (Ironically, I studied hypnosis...did u??)

I wanted to find out what the Dr finally told u about your dry throat/clicking sound. I have your same exact symptoms and I am NOT getting any answers from  any ENTs I have seen! So..Im going nuts! My symptoms have been going on for many years, and some days are worse then others. I also lose my voice alot. Ive been thinking that I might have a vocal cord (or throat cyst) of somekind.

Please...can u tell me what your diagnosed and treatment turned out to be...and let me know how u are doing now!

Thanks so much!

Sincerely,

Kimberly

I have those symptoms but on the right side of my throat. I did some poking around and found something with similar aspects. They are called Tonsil Stones (or Tonsilloliths) and are a calcium formation in your tonsils. They are caused by bad breath and/or occur naturally. They most commonly affect young adults to adults but can occur in children. They happen to up to 10% of the population but big ones are rare. They are most times harmless but uncomfortable. Ways to remove them are to use a Waterpik, pick them out (but with the risk of having debrees stuck), laser removal or surgery. As for your dizziness, I think you should go see a doctor and get that checked out. It could be diabetes or an ear problem. Best regards and hope you get better.   ***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***

I also have these symptoms and have the dizzy spells, the endocrine specialist said it may be a laryngocele, an air or fluid filled lump which is congenital and can be fixed by surgical removal, that would explain the clicking or moving of lump. I think, from experience the strangling and dizziness is caused by the lump putting pressure on the trachea as I have had these episodes whilst driving also.

Look into cryptococcus its a fungal only one test comes up with it very hard to detect its become s worldwide epidemic

Under stress small muscles in your neck can tighten. Stress as in needing sleep. Get some sleep and try to forget it don't freak yourself out. There is naturally a piece of muscular cartilage in your throat called the epiglottis as well that sounds like it could be tensed up.

Please all of you go check out thyroid cancer on google

What did the Dr. say ? You described exactly my symptoms. Mine came on after a flu shot.