I’m a 35 year old female and I’m very emotional person.
Since my mother died, last year, I’ve noticed that I act on stress a bit strange.
When I find my self in some kind of stress and I can hardly breathe or eat. It feels like a golf ball or tennis ball ... is stuck in my throat.
Once I even faint out.
First I thought I have some problem with swelling of my throat because it seamed to me like a logical solution, but later, after I had an examination, I new that problem wasn’t in my throat.
My general practitioner didn’t know to explain what was wrong with me and he did nothing to prevent such things to happen again.
Could anybody tell me what kind of disease this really is?

I know why your GP didn’t tell you a thing about your condition – it is because he didn’t know.
This is very rear condition and you must not blame him.
Medical term for your condition is Globus Hystericus.
This is a strange condition in which muscles in the throat are contracting due to anxiety or stress.
Sometimes it feels like you cannot swallow anything and trying to makes it worse. In some way, your doctor might be right because it is a self limiting disorder that will resolve on its own.
So, taking any medications would only make things much worse.
It is totally harmless and it will not cause you to stop breathingit.
Only problem is -it’s just very unpleasant.
Try as much as you can to avoid stress situations and, I hope, you will overcome your breathing difficulties.

Hi
Sorry to hear you to suffer with this problem, so do I and have done for the past several years (on and Off), over the past year and a half my sysmptoms have become worse, I was in a very stressful situation at work, had relationship probs and then became out of work for months. I have had a scope in my throat - they found I have inflamation due to Acid Reflux, the tabs the doc gave me caused rapid heartbeat so have to take Ranitidine x 2 daily - they don't seem to work as my Acid is terrible, I permantely have a lump in my throat, tightning and burp constantly. If anyone out there has a cure please could they let me know. Thanks very much Jenny.

I cant believe someone else is describing my symptoms! Very hardd to get a deep breath, always trying to swallow something, sore neck...no energy..Dr. can find nothing but dry throat, strained vocal chords. I also feel like burping all the time, and it is stuck (kinda)!Is this really only stress, because i really don't feel that stressed, maybe a little. I have not had a scope yet, but i would not be opposed if it would help, Dr. did look down my throat with a mirror. Please I hope someone knows what I can do!

I felt lump in the throats for few weeks already too. It does get better during the morning, but worse at different times of the day. Eating actually makes it feel better. But sometimes i felt abit difficult to breathe too. I do have other symptoms though, like heat sensation all over my body sometimes, I am not sure if they are related.
What's the difference between sore throat and lump in the throat though? I always thought this was a sore throat, until I learn more about this lump in the throat.

Hi. I am a 21 year old female. I have just started having these feelings. It started one night when I went to sleep and I woke up gasping for air. It feels like I can't swallow or taht my airway is blocked. I have been to the doctor and they gave me medicine. I burp alot and everytime I eat I get sick. It is very scary to go to bed because I live alone. I hate having this feeling. Can anyone help me?

EVeryone here should go to an ear nose and throat specialist and insist on being examined and tested for LERD -- Laryngopharangeal reflux disease. It is a very sneaky condition that can cause these kinds of problems and it is often misdiagnosed by doctors. MY mother has it and suffered for almost 6 months at the hands of a clueless ENT until she found a better informed one who recognized immediately what she had and got her on the medication she needed so that she could recover. She's doing much, much better and so can you. Good luck to all!

look up "Cricopharyngeal spasm" on the internet. Stress related spasms can be relieved with muscle relaxants and/or meditation, or even alcohol. A massage of the neck and shoulders can also help relax the relay of muscles that are bunching up your throat.

Wow,
to hear other people have this problem is AMAZING! I have had so many tests in the past 6 months, an esophageal manamotry, 24 hour PH testing, MRI, scope (twice), you name it I've had it. Last week I went to my Dr, & told him I was dying! My upper back ached and burned! the back of my neck felt like it had a stick thru it, coming out the front, my hands and feet were freezing, but yet the rest of my body was sweating, I have had this rash type on my neck and chest, it was on my face now & getting on my ears, I had, had a headache for 3 days straight & was convinced I was dying. He put me on a strong antibiotic, he said my thyroid was enlarged. he tested it, it is making hormones correctly tho. I feel alot better from the antibiotic, but now my neck is losing weight, it feels so skinny. something is still very wrong!

I find when I have this feeling that chewing gum or holding something cold on the back of my neck makes it go away, the trick is to not think to much on it, if you think about it you get worked up and it seems to make it harder to breathe or a tighter feeling.

It's reassuring to read that others out there also have had almost identical symptoms to me...I too have had this feeling of a "lump in my throat" off and on for some time. This past week is worse, and oddly, it struck while on vacation and totally relaxed (though sufferring from PMS as well). I do believe it is stress related, though I have not been feeling nearly as stressed as I have in the past, so I am very disconcerted by it now.
Years ago I had tests done which involved having a tube and a camera down my throat and it revealed that the throat sphincter muscles were not working properly, thus causing that feeling of gas getting stuck, and a constant need to belch. Perhaps this was also stress related, or perhaps there is a name for this as well? THe Dr. said at the time that I could take medicine for it that was also used for high blood pressure, however, I have very low blood pressure so this wasn't really an option for me.
I am a big fan of yoga and relaxation techniques, but frankly, they have only taken me so far. I wish there was a medication that could help this condition. If anyone finds one, please let me know!

I have similar symptoms. Feeling that something is stuck in my throat. Dont feel it while eating. I too burp a lot. This situation also gets worse right before my periods. Now i also have pain in my shoulder, neck and behind ear. I have had Barium swallow, a tube put into my throat to check the contraction of throat and whether i have any inflammations due to acid reflux. everything has turned out to be negative. the ent told me that its probably hormonal. for past 5-6 months i was fine but this has again started in last couple of weeks. I am totally confused as to what exactly is happening to me. i have even had my thyroid levels checked which are also normal. anyone out there has found any cure or reason for this? also sucking on lozanges also helps me.

Have you tried looking up "Cricopharyngeal spasm"? I have the same problem too and my doctor told me about this. It will eventually go away when you don't think about it too often.

hey, maybe not the same situation but my throat glands are inflamed. doctor never says much.
heres my link though, it only ever occurs when im going away - for example i go on training courses residential away from home for maybe 7-14 days at a time - and everytime about a day or so before i leave they become inflammated(sp).
i think this may be anxiety or stress even though i dont feel it as such? make any sense?

maybe we all need to just unwind a bit?!

I'm so glad I found your posts. I have suffered with this issue for a few years now! I had a scope done by an ENT 2 years ago, and all they found was some redness and irratation, but nothing else. I have been told I have high anxiety, which can cause this problem, stress, post-nasal drip, and a number of other things, but it scares the heck out of me! I feel fine when I first wake up in the morning, but all day long, at different times throughout my day, I get this lump in my throat. It's called Globus Hystericus according to medical sites, but it can also be caused from reflux laryngitis. It still scares me, even though I know what it may be, and I can hardly function. I get even more panicky and scared when I feel the lump in my throat. Check out this link, as it may help some of you: http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=9022 Good luck my fellow panickers! :-D