hi my names denise and for 5 years when i swallow my throat clicks iv had a bariam meal xray and camera nothing found waiting for CT SCAN ANY IDEARS :'(

Hi! I was reading about this phenomenon when I thought that it’s just a problem of a mind. Apparently I was wrong like many doctors who were just lazy (I suppose) to do further testing. It appears that the clicking sound is real and it happens when swallowing and turning the neck.
To make sure it was real, they tested the patients during meals and found that the sound was real.
The investigators performed a CT scan of larynx and found that it had something to do with a thyroid cartilage. In order to get rid of the clicking sound, they performed a surgery in which they cut a portion of the thyroid cartilage that was causing the problem. I found this amazing and just wanted to let you know not to give up if your current doctors didn’t manage to find the cause of your clicking and to look for second opinion if these fail. You may have to undergo a surgical procedure if you want to get rid of the symptom but at least you will be symptom free.

It would be wise to ask all the necessary questions about the safety and risks of the procedure and see if the benefits outweigh the risks. Good luck!

For about two years I have been experiencing this thoat clicking, but brushed it off as something insignificant and thought that it would soon pass. Boy was I wrong. I have been able to tolerate the clicking until now, recently it has gotten more painful painful. With almost every swallow my throat clicks. I tend to feel it more when I swallow liquids, especially my saliva and when I swallow with my head turned to the side. The clicking only comes from the right side of my throat. I am going to visit my Docs office on Monday and I'm very glad I found this information to take with me. This that is happening to me is not psychogenic. It is very real and I will be damned if anyone tells me otherwise! Thanks for posting this. You have finally helped me figure out what this is!

Hi.

I'm 23 and also seem to be having this problem. The clicking is on the left side of my throat when I swallow. Combined with this I also feel as though I have something stuck in my throat. I am almost convinved it is not anxiety or stress. I have been far more stressed and anxious in my life than now. It has also been present for two months now.

Has anyone had any luck finding out what this is??

Thanks

Hi There

I too have had this clicking throat thing driving me mad (only when I turn to right!). It started about 6 months ago and I've been for the barium meal and camera. They doctors said there was nothing sinister but said I had a slight narrowing that could be caused by Cervical Spondylosis. Basically this is a 'wear and tear' of the vertebrae and discs in the neck and not too serious. When I looked this up on the internet a few sites said that this could cause difficulty swallowing but the main symptoms are headaches and back/shoulder pain. Since I don't suffer from either of these, I'm not convinced that this is what is causing my throat clicking but I thought I share in case it make sense to anyone else.

Other than this the Doctor suggested our ol' friend STRESS!! and I don't get this one since I wasn't at all stressed when this started (though find it hard not to obsess about it since).

Like everyone else here I love to know how this can be sorted - any help would be gratefully appreciated, thanks

Hi denise, try not to worry. I have the exact same thing same thing accompanied with a very strange (bitter tar like taste- and I don't smoke) as well as a list of other symtoms that I wil not bore your with. The point is, is that I too have had bariam exrays, ultra sounds, ct scans, swallowing the camera thingy and most recently a 123 uptake (which focuses on the thyroid) all they've been able to come up with so far is that I have inflamation on one side of my neck, an enlarged thyroid glan and nodules which they will simply keep an eye on and will not attempt to remove at this time. So, just keep on it and hope for good things!

Hi Denise & everyone else,

I hear a clicking sound & feel movement when I press inward on the right side near my adam's apple inside my throat. Does anyone know what the name of this part of the throat is called? It sometimes feels slightly painful & sometimes it's painless. It feels like something has either torn or been damaged. I am a singer & might have injured that area. It doesn't click when I swallow but it does when I press inward on the area. I have been to an ent specialist & he saw redness but no internal damage or growths. I have also seen a GI specialist who thinks I have a form of reflux & gave me prilosec. I didn't take the meds & instead opted for an endoscopy which will take place this month. I have had many symptoms in the past 2 months & went from a weight of 231 pounds down to 175 pounds by changing my diet. My new diet which consists of organic vegetables & alkaline foods have supressed some of my symptoms. I am avoiding all acidic, greasy, fried, sugary man made foods. Hear is a list of my past & current symptoms:

white tongue when my throat has no saliva (comes & goes)
dry mouth when my tongue is white (comes & goes)
red cancor soares on side of tongue (past)
feeling of bead stuck in my throat or lower neck on right side (past)
constant throat clearing (current)
constant mucus build up at center base of neck. Post nasal drip? (current)
bad breath when my throat becomes dry (comes & goes)
ear ache on right side & feeling of pressure (comes & goes)
soar throat when I clear my throat (comes & goes)
cold hands (comes & goes)
hoarseness (comes & goes)
burping (comes & goes)
fatigue (comes & goes)
stomach growling (comes & goes)

I'm having a blood test to check for diabetes, my thyroid & anything else.
I am treating this as if it's LPR, Candida, Diabetes or? I am wondering if anyone else has these symptoms & can shed some light on the clicking & movement i'm feeling? Who is the best specialist to go see about the clicking? Is it a neck surgeon? Can anyone please add to this thread?

Sincerely,
J
;-) Keeping hope!

I too have clicking in my throat when drinking fluids. I was diagnosed with Grave's disease which is an autoimmune disease (where my immune system is stimulating my thyroid, which causes it to produce excess thyroid hormone) My thyroid wasn't originally inflamed, but now that it is, my throat clicks. I was told by my endocronologist that an enlarged thyroid can be the culprit, but my thyroid isn't large enough to do this yet, I guess everyone is different. You wouldn't be able to tell that my thyroid is inflamed unless I pointed it out...They say that significant enlargement displaces the adam's apple which causes it to rub against your larnyx when swallowing...doctor said it is harmless unless it starts bothering me...I just tilt my head down when swallowing fluids, or I put my finder on my adam's apple so it can't move.

Well good to know I'm not alone,
For me it's suddenly appeared just before christmas,
I've had the feeling that something was stuck in my throat or constantly pressing onto the right side of my throat. At times feeling like a hair or something fuzzy, My throats clicks also but not all the time,
I’ve gone to the local clinics like 3 times and to no avail, Short of being told that I was just trying to get a day off of work. Getting fed up I went to the hospital and again nothing! She gave me a paper and I was suppose to get an appointment a week later… Well to no surprise of mine no one ever called.
So trying to find information myself on the internet. But I’ll keep you folks in mind should I ever get an answer.

I to suffer from a clickey throat , but only when i walk especially out-side any ideas please

yep i to have this clicky that thing and its drivin me up the wall..

just dont wont my thought to swell or something ..

:-(

if i tern my heard it sops but if i look a head of me and swallow it starts again.

I have suffered from this irritating throat clicking. After about a year of this, other symptoms have started like, feeling like something is stuck in my throat; feeling like a tickle (hair or lint, etc.) in my throat; choking when I drink fluids. I have fibromuscular dysphasia and was wondering if this could be resulting from this disease.

OH MY GOSH I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS EXPERIENCED THIS! I JUST STARTED HAVING THIS , SAME THING, SAME SYMPTOMS THE CLICK! ,IM SCARED TO GET IT CHECKED!

Hi all,

It's the same for me, has been for the last 6 months. The clicking and feeling of the bone to the left of my adams apple crunching when i swallow. I've been to the doctor twice, had an ENT look at it and had an ultrasound done. Guess what... nothing. I'm sick of the doctor telling me that it's stress, it seems to be what they say when they can't figure something out for themselves because it is a very real pain and is getting worse. It's good to know that there are others who are in the same position. I'm going to demand an xray to compare one side of my throat to the other because its getting worse and I cant bear it much longer, so I will keep you all posted on the results.

Keep at it! I can feel my throat has changed myself, but no one else seems to be able to notice a difference. "Anxiety" they say. The only thing making me stressed is this throat thing. If anyone else has any luck finding a good method or test to diagnose this, help is much appreciated.

Hi all,

I've had this clicking throat thing for at least 6 months now, been geting worse and feels like a bone crunching everytime i swallow. Loads of tests...nothing.
Guess what. I've had an infection behind both my tonsils - unnoticable even by an ent and an ultrasound. I found it myself by poking around with my fingers and a torch- pretty horrible really, but although my tonsils were fine, the areas behind were heavily infected particularly on the left (the side with the clicking). On studying photos of myself from years ago, the left side of my adams apple has always been bigger, but this chronic tonsil infection must have just irritated it and been getting worse.

I've had a double course of antibiotics, brushed 3 times a day, using antibacterial mouthwash and it's finally getting better. Its not quite back to normal but it's way better than it was. I can swallow normally 70% of the time!!!

I suggest you try the same, it could be an unnoticable innfection and inflammation that won't show up on scans as abnormal. Also don't monitor it or poke it much as this will keep the inflammation there.

Good luck people, I'm not a doctor so you can chose to ignore this - but its worth having a look around in the places your ent wont (cause it nearly makes you gag). Nasty.

Good luck, good oral health seems to be the way forward with this one - even though i was convinced that the bone was bigger on the left for months. It even felt it. I'm amazed that it was just an infection.

I suggest you see your doctor if you find anything. (for antibiotics etc).