Do you think it would be beneficial to train differently depending upon which race you are going to do, which season you are going to run in verses a generic training program aimed at beginner, intermediate and advanced?

For example, should you train differently for Chicago (flat, fall marathon) than for a spring marathon or a marathon that is more hilly?

Or are you better off training based upon base mileage and experience only?

I'm not sure there would be much difference in training for either a fall or spring marathon, but definitely for a flat or hilly one.
Most folks in the US have a hard time training during the winter months due to the nasty weather. So just to get quality training in during the winter months is paramount.
As for hilly and non-hilly. I would strongly recommend working the hills a lot if you're planning on doing a hilly marathon. Hill repeats both UP hill and DOWN hill.

I ran the Philly marathon and it was mostly flat. Where I live has a lot of hills on it. So I naturally get hill works out in anyway. I agree with flarunner though if its a hilly marathon, concentrate more on the hill repeats.

I remember EJ (who trains on hills) saying that the courses in Chicago and Philly were a little harder for him than the coures in Cincy which is hilly. It makes sense... you build and use slightly different muscles on hills and on flats. If you spend time building one type up and then try to use another it may not work as well. Having said that, I think getting SOME hills in is a good idea because it does increase your heartrate more and is generally a better workout.