Hi, folks. My friend has been diagnosed with hashimoto’s autoimmune hypothyroidism. As far as I understand, her thyroid gland produces less of thyroid hormones than necessary. I really don’t know more about this, but I would like to find out. Can someone help me with more info? I would really appreciate it.

Hi, there. As the name says, it is an autoimmune disease. The immune system attacks thyroid gland and destroys its tissue. Of course, this attack does not happen overnight. This is a process that lasts for years, even decades. As the result, there is a lack of thyroid hormones. In the beginning, there has not to be any symptoms. A patient can feel well and no treatment is necessary. A patient should only check his/her hormone status in every 6 months. However, if this process becomes more intensive, then hormone supplements are necessary. I hope your friend is all right.