Hi, I have a fifty years old mother. She has always complained to cold. But recently her voice has changed along with some other symptoms. Because of that, I took her to a doctor. She was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. The doctor prescribed some medicine. However, a friend of mine told me that nutritional supplements can also help. What can you tell me about it?

Hi, thyroid gland is small part of our body. It is located at the base of the neck. The hormones it produces affect almost every aspect of our life. This includes the heart beat rate and how fast we burn calories. When these hormones are not produced in sufficient amount, you have a condition called hypothyroidism. Beside the medicine, there are also other things that can help you. Nutritional supplements are among them. However, they alone do not contain thyroid hormones that are needed so that the organism would function properly. That is why they must be taken with medicine. Also, although it has been proven that nutritional supplements help with hypothyroidism, you must contact the doctor of your mother so that he can recommend the one that would be the best for your mother.