My running totally sucks right now.

Which is really bad because I'm motivated, too.

Anyway, I think the cold weather is giving me joint problems, or contributing to them.

How do you fix that? Run in pants? Would a more adequate warmup help?

I am talking like knees frozen solid and if I run on them I am in some pain for a few days even walking. :x :x :x

HELP!

They have things that just cover your knees if I'm not mistaken. Maybe you could find one that has enough room to tuck a thin heat pad in? I don't even know if that's feasible, but it sounded good.

How cold is it there? Is it cold enough to need tights? If so, wear them. I recently bought some loose tights (for the sake of my modesty) and think they are great.

Once you are warmed up and running, I would not think the air temperature would affect your knees. Maybe you do need to warm up better before running. Can you warm up indoors maybe.

The suggestion to wear a knee sleeve might also work. It would keep your body heat in to maybe help with the knees.

Good luck.

When it gets cold here, I have to warm up on my stationary bike before I run and that helps my knees. I also will wear tights to keep my legs warm.

I agree with the tights idea. I wear tights thoughout the winter in layers. when it is 15 degrees °F you need too. You can also get the "almost" tights if you don't want a tight fit. If you have a stationary bike at brief warm-up would help to do you some good. I would not over do it as when you step out the door any persperation will get cold in a hurry.

Like most I vote for tights..although I recently picked up a pair of "whisper" wind pants and am liking them big time. No more swoosh, swhoosh.

Aside from dressing warmer on you legs, you might just want to dress warmer period. Get a better jacket or thicker long sleeve top. Keeping the core warmer will translate to being warmer on down the arms and legs.

One more suggestion might be to simply get a couple hot water bottles and for 5-minutes before you head out the door sit with them over your knees and get everything inside there warmed up and loosened up. Filling them with hot water out of the tap should do it.

I'd be remiss if I didn't also suggest you consider trying glucosamine/chondroitin. I've gotten tremendous relief with a problematic hip from it over the last 5+ years and it would do the same for knees. Get yourself a 60 day supply since it takes 4-6 weeks for your body to get the biggest benefit. Then you can judge if it's helping. It's a daily supplement I couldn't run without.

Keep us posted... :D

consider trying glucosamine/chondroitin.
I just started taking glucosamine/chondroitin yesterday. I've heard good things about this from multiple people. I can't wait to see if it works for me after several weeks....

yep tights are cool. Just got my first pair from the race I ran on Sunday. I wore them for the first time for a run and they're great!

On the two days of cold weather here in Atlanta, I wear longer pants but never tights. I know it's a personal hangup but I always think males wearing tights and/or ear rings are showing off their feminine side.

On the other hand, perhaps if I lived somewhere that had 3 months of cold weather I might change my tune, insofar as tights (I'd still consider the ear rings as feminine on males).

I agree on the tights GRR. I probably will never wear them in Louisiana. It just doesn't get cold enough to warrant them. Now if I had to run in sub 30 degree weather, I'd sure as heck get a pair.

It's not quite the feminine side that shows... if you catch my drift. :o

Thanks everyone.

I take it this is a common problem and I'm not genetically challenged? :?

Anyway, I did some testing, and my hypothesis is right, so it is the cold I need to combat. I will get some tights and see if that doesn't help, along with warming up more prior to the run.

:fubby:

Stay warm Cheeky and you'll do just fine this winter!

Wearing tights when running... tee hee

I just started taking glucosamine/chondroitin yesterday. I've heard good things about this from multiple people. I can't wait to see if it works for me after several weeks.... I was thinking about trying that for my sore neck. A chiropractor I talked to mentioned that it could help.