Hi, I'm 18 and I've been suffering from chronic tonsillitis since Feburary. My throat is sore almost everyday, I have a low grade chronic fever that doesn't go away and also high levels of ASOT (Antistreptococcal antibodies) since September. Anyway, my doctor feared that it could damage my heart or kidneys so he said I should get a tonsillectomy. Today I'm going to discuss the surgery with him but I'm pretty freaked out - I've read tons of horror stories and it's scaring the living daylights out of me! I'd just like to know how your tonsillectomies went and how was your recovery went too... I'm specially nervous about being intubated during surgery (I recently underwent a transesophageal echocardiogram and it was horrible to say the least so I'm pretty scared about that... :'( ). Did you experience bleeding, or choking or anything like that? Thanks in advanced, I'll keep you posted
:-D

Oh my gosh hon, what would we do without the dreaded and ever present horror story? Listen, everytime one elects to have a surgery of any type where one needs to be "knocked out" if you will, you automatically run a risk of something not going right. That is why you sign a release from the hospital before anethesia is given, this disclaimer pretty much releases the hospital and it's attending staff from any law suits in the event that something dreadful happens to you. Sorry, that's just the way it is. The few times that i have been put out, i to have been so nervous. I jokeingly said my "goodbyes" and tried to be a "big girl" when my fam would laugh and say, see ya when you wake up, we'll be right here" AAArrrggghh, thanks but that didn't help.

Just know that you are in expert hands and if even the slightest mishap can be swiftly reversed. My daughter is 28, she had her tonsills out when she was 20. The procedure lasted all of 30 minutes as the wake up time lasted longer than the actuall surgery. You are monitored VERY closely and all eyes have a job to do. There is a nurse for specifically for that job and another one assigned to maybe watching your breathing and other assigned to watching your blood pressure, you are covered all the way around.

You will have a sore throat after for sure, not only from your tonsills being removed but because of that wonderful tube that was placed down your throat. You get to eat a lot of ice cream, yay.......you'll be fine. My daughter cried like a baby the morning of her surgery, she was tryin to talk on the phone that same nite to her friends, go figure 8-|

Thanks for your answer, it really helped me calm down because I was really nervous about the whole thing. I'm getting my tonsillectomy on the 23rd of November so I've got a week to relax and try to gain some weight (My doctor said I'll probably loose 10 pounds so it would be great if I could gain a few extra pounds before the surgery). He said the main complication is bleeding after surgery and if you go to the ER quickly, there shouldn't be any problems. I hope everything is Ok and, like your daughter, I can be talking (or at least trying to LOL) with my friends the same night. Thanks again :-D

Emily, I am 41 yrs old and had my tonsils removed Sept 28th. TRUST me I know where your coming from. I NEVER had surgery before in my life, and to be quite honest the thought of being knocked out scared me more than the pain they said I was going to have. I read SO MUCH on the internet and I couldnt find ONE story that wasnt a ngihtmare experience, so since I was told 2 mths prior to my surgery I had enough time to "browse" the internet and get myself all GEEKED up and scared! The 1st thing I wanted to know was what type of procedure did my dr use (he used the coblation method) which is fairly new and if you research it, tells you that the results are quicker healing with little to no bleeding. Well here I am approx 1 1/2 mth later and it wasnt as bad as all the stories I read. I suffer from panic disorder so I was TERRIFIED of all the things they said I was gonna feel in my throat! There were a few things that NO ONE told me that caught me off guard. #1 when I wok up my dr had numbed my whole mouth so my throat felt FUNNY and I freaked a tad till it wore off And #2 the ole swollen uvula (that dangly thing in the back of your throat) I was NEVER told that thing would swell up the size of a golf ball LOL!!! Had I known in advance I could have prepared myself for it! My suggestion without a doubt, is STAY HYDRATED! Especially with winter and the dry air upon us it can make things WORSE so drink TONS of water! I know it will hurt BUT I forced myself. Another thing have a nice warm air humidifier going. I had one going at ALL times, and I NEVER had a problem with bleeding or some of the horror stories of scabs (HECK I didnt even FEEL the scabs fall off) I had no clue when they did. SO MOIST MOIST MOIST will help! I guess I used common sense and by the 2nd week I felt FINE. Everyone said being 41 I would heal slower but when I went for my post op the doc said I healed like a 10 yr old :-) I think is was because I just used common sense! I would even, every once in awhile put my face over the humidifier and take a few nice slow inhales thru my mouth (felt good too) keep a ice cold wrap around your neck (esp at night) it helps with the swelling IMMENSLY!!! iAfter say day 3-4 I started gargling VERY SOFTLY with a 50/50 mix of mouthwash and hydrogen peroxide to keep everything clean!
Well if you have anymore questions I will be watching this post to see how your doing and if you hae any questions I would be HAPPY to try and help! Good luck sweety you will get thru it!

Hi I just had a tonsilectomy done on the 17/11/09, came home yesteday on the 19 - I am 35 yrs old and was very worried with all the scaring stories I heard all the way, especially regarding my age, everyone was kind of 'at this age you having it done? My doctor said that it will be painfull but he would prescribe me lots of antibiotics and painkillers that would help and the most important thing is eating/drinking as soon as possible.
After my surgery (8am) the doctor came to see me and said that my tonsils were very nasty - filled with puss and very old puss, I am so glad I have them removed and I prepared myself very well for the pain I have been told I would experience.
3 hours after my surgery I eat toast and coffee, and believe me did not feel pain at all, it was quite nice, did not ate my lunch very well because I was not hungry.
Dinner came at 7pm by then my throat felt swollen and painful but I made sure I ate some chips/beef stew and peas - it was hard to swallow.
After that I had all the tablets around 7 of them I felt better but I throw up later. The vomit was not caused by the tablets but bits of the scabs that formed in my mouth and were discharged. I throw up twice, on the second time they gave an injection to help since then I am fine.
This is my second day at home, I am doing very well, made a chart for all the medication I need to take, I am having a normal diet and eating /drinking as often as possible because of all the medication I am taking.

I will continue to post more information if anyone is interested in follow my progress. I hope this information is useful to anyone that is going to have a tonsilectomy done in the next few days.

Good luck!
M