I am a 24 year old female and had a tonsillectomy 5 days ago, and I just feel as if I should put a post out here to help people. I think I am a rare case because I have not taken any pain medicine at all. I have had a sore throat, but nothing close to the pain I thought I would have. Here are some of the things that I have done to help. Maybe they will help others.

First even before my surgery I was put on an antibiotic and steroid. I am not sure why my ENT did this, but I just can't help to think that it must have done some good.

As soon as I was in recovery I started drinking fluids. It hurts a little but the sooner you get them in the better off you are. I really have not stopped drinking since. I have found that water is the best thing to drink. Other things are too sugary and leave a coating.

The last thing I did was get a cool mist humidifier to sleep with. My ENT told me to get it, and it has helped. This just makes sure that your throat does not dry out while you are sleeping.

These are just a couple things that I have not seen posted on any site, so hopefully they can help. Just remember expect the worst. I did. Every day I am still expecting to feel the pain that I read about and prepared myself for. I will agree with what other people have said and that days 4-6 are the worst. This is when you get the ear pain to go with your sore throat.

Thank you for sharing your valuable tips with us.

Yes, very useful information. I had tonsillectomy a couple of years ago and I remember that day when I left the hospital. No pain. At all. My doctor asked me do I want to take some medicines and I told him that there is no need for it. He believed that I am scared because I told him way before that I hate medicines, but no - I really felt no pain. Not even because of those, how he told me - pockets on the side of the throat, nothing. That is why I can say that I am one really lucky guy :)

Im a 19 year old and I'm exactly the same! i can't seem to find any other post other than this saying that they haven't had too much trouble so i will leave my experience as well in case someone else has had a similar one. I'm on day 7 right now and its almost been a breeze! i haven't even been taking pain killers.

i was expecting the very worst of pain but also wasn't prepared for how it would effect me in other ways other than just a painful throat. my main trouble has been nausea and i think this is because of a bad reaction to the anaesthetic. i had horrible nausea until day 6 which also knocked me out a lot of the time. i left the house on day 4 and i couldn't handle the sick and tired feeling and on day 5 and i just felt terrible. the nausea also made me irritated and just made me really fed up of everything quite often so i haven't been so nice to my carers.

day 1-2 in the hospital i had to stay overnight
FOOD: they gave me scrambled eggs, an egg sandwich, wheatbix (a cereal) and lots of lemonade ice poles DRINK LOTS OF WATER
PAIN: quite bad but its manageable and i slept through it
PILLS: they started me on antibiotics and gave me codeine based painkillers from when i was out of the anaesthetic and able to sit up and talk. this made me sleep the entire time i was there 
TIPS: they also gave me gum to chew as the movement helps recover quicker even though its uncomfortable it also stops the pain CHEW GUM ALL THE TIME especially before meals

day 3 still had bad nausea which was keeping me in bed 
FOOD: i basically only ate lemonade ice poles cause normal ice cream thickens in your mouth and makes it hard to swallow. jelly got sickening so i gave up with that and i tried mash potatos but the foul taste in my mouth made most foods make me feel sick. i could still eat them though, i ate things like pasta and a couple soups. take SMALL BITES though and CHEW IT UP A LOT
PAIN: swallowing was bearable pain. 
PILLS: took, at most, 3 panadols' (normal chemist painkillers) at this time but only when i thought the pain would get worse so i should stop it before it does so. i then learnt it never got worse. 
TIPS: still chewing gum all the time but mostly cause i like chewing gum anyway. SLEEP heaps cause i think thats why I've been okay. during the day your doing nothing anyway so just sleep for as long as you can. i almost never got out of bed and just KEEP DRINKING WATER all the time

day 4-6 still had bad nausea which kept me in bed and i noticed the scabs had come off significantly on day 6 but not all at once which is what I've read happens. i went out twice both for 2-3 hours to see friends and talking was tiring but other than that just felt nauseous 
FOOD: started eating completely normally. I've eaten rice dishes, fish and chips, cereals, fruit...whatever i want but still chewing it up a lot and small bites
PAIN: completely bearable still uncomfortable to swallow but more like its bruised than anything. scabs falling off came at the same time as a TINY bit of pain in the ears but this came and left quickly and not very often. 
PILLS: i started taking nausea tablets which kind of worked but not for long (they help bring your appetite back though). finished antibiotics and taking no pain killers at all
TIPS: KEEP DRINKING WATER AND CHEWING GUM ALL THE TIME

day 7 I've been out of bed all day and feeling great
FOOD: i ate whatever i wanted including hot chips and a burger and even spicy sauce which i had read to stay away from and i had no problems at all 
PAIN: after eating a lot the pain builds up a little and my throat just felt sore like a bruise but would wear off within minutes. still uncomfortable to swallow but not horrible
PILLS: taking no pain killers and no nausea tablets 

so this is where i am up to now, I'm still worried my lucky streak will end and the painful couple of days people say are coming will come although the scabs leaving are making me hopeful that this is it. my real only problem was nausea which was HORRIBLE and made things seem SO MUCH WORSE than they actually were because it was making me feel depressed and annoyed that i got the surgery. I'm a very positive person with recovery as i want to be back on my feet as soon as possible and i think this helps, rather than thinking you feel horrible try thinking you feel great and your getting better all the time! :) 

a lot of websites contradict each other with saying what you can and can't eat but I've overall found that, i think, it doesn't matter. it seems different countries might tell patients to only eat soft foods, only eat rough foods or eat whatever you want. i was told to eat whatever i want and it has seemed to promote a quick healing :) some people say rough foods will scratch your throat and make you bleed however my doctor told me that wouldn't happen. some websites say rough foods scratch a little which promotes faster healing but my doctor said that wasn't true either.

i think just listen to your body, you'll know how you feel and what you can handle because everyone is different.

hope this is helpful, if anything drastic happens ill post again

I am just like you guys!! I am a 36 y/o female who just had her tonsils out about 5 days ago.. I, like you, read all these horror stories on the internet about HOW PAINFUL this recovery would be.. Let me say, I prepared all I could before the procedure... I got the cool mist humidifier, and LOTS OF WATER... I have taken my LORTAB as prescribed though, as I was waiting for some debilitating pain to hit... IT NEVER HAS... it hasn't even hurt to swallow! I drank A LOT of water though right away... in fact, the next morning, i went with my mom and dad to eat eggs benedict!!!! and ate almost all of it! I have been eating really well, and drinking my weight in water and there has been no pain... But like I said I do take my pain meds as prescribed. I only do this as I am scared of what I will feel like if I don't... But reading other posts people who took their their narcotics still had some very intense pain.... Now, it is only day 5, I will have to keep you posted if something changes... but I am convinced the humidifier and the water WORKED WONDERS!!!!!! I only wish there were more good news stories of adult tonsillectomies on the internet.. I was HORRIFIED of the pain that would come after reading the bad ones!

So my story is unique. I had my left tonsil removed when I was 14 because I had a benign tumor in my lymph notes. The right tonsil remained. Fast forward to the age of 25 and I've been getting strep throat. Two ENT doctors told me I need to have the remaining tonsil removed.

I'm 26 now and just had it removed earlier today. I was anticipating a 'hit by a bus' pain. I awoke from the anesthetisa and I didn't feel anything. I drank fluids immediately (apple juice from the hospital, I should drink water) and jello. It wasn't difficult to swallow. I actually had to ask my parents if my doctor had indeed remove my tonsil. I'm pretty shocked that I don't have any pain. It feels weird but nothing excruciating. I'm going to lay off the food for now. I will have a Popsicle. I will see what happens tomorrow. I haven't taken any of the prescribed meds from my doctor.

I'm 28 and just finishing day 2 (If thats correct? Op was 3pm Friday, its now 23.45 Saturday)

Was expecting pain, but had nothing more than a sore throat so far. What seems to be working for me is:

1. Lots of water, and I mean lots. I've not been anywhere without a glass by my side to take regular sips

2. Chewing gum. Keeps you swallowing

3. Eating as normal a diet as possible. I was eating soup, chips and apple pie with custard 2 hours after my op. Today (Saturday) I've had 4 slices of toast on jam, or jelly to you Yanks, a popsicle, lots of crisps to nibble on and for tea I had a steak pie, chips and mushy peas, topped off with apple pie and custard.

4. Taking my medicine like clockwork (Paracetamol and 30mg Codeine is what I've been prescribed) every 4-6 hours. I'm trying to go 5 hours between

5. Lots of rest, probably bought on by the Codeine, but get out of bed and walk around when you can. Seems to be working for me.

Am aware that the worst is probably yet to come, but the pain is virtually non-existant at the moment and food is going down perfectly fine. Only issue has been a bit of a swollen uvula which is annoying as hell at times when I feel like its getting sucked into my throat

Thank you for your post. I am 29 years old and just had a Tonsillectomy and Adenoidectomy I'm on day 3 after my tonsillectomy and I haven't experienced any pain at all; just the minor discomfort of swelling. I know a few 'more painful' days are potentially still coming but I feel great and haven't taken any pain meds. My scabs are already forming and I'm looking forward to them coming off (but I'm not rushing it). My tonsils were "enormous" according to my ENT and he also called them "gigantic"... Throughout my life I've never suffered from sore throats or tonsillitis. I always suffered from blocked airways, (75% blocked to be exact) like breathing through a straw my entire life, and I think this has something to do with the pain-free recovery (so far); Now my body is getting oxygen and now I dont have to deal with the low grade infection that caused my tonsils to remain so large. I've suffered from 'fibro myalgia-like' pain for most of my life due to low oxygen; I've also been diagnosed with ADHD (also due to low O2). I could tell immediately after surgery that I had made a good choice. It's like someone removed the cork from my airways both in my nose and throat . All of my Dr.'s missed this as I grew up. HOW?!? My work provides a wellness advisor; if we follow the guidelines, then our insurance costs go down. She noticed the muffled nature of my voice... After a series of questions (that I had no idea were relevant to each other) about family history and trouble swallowing and constant fatigue and ADD, Merri (my advisor) told me I need to see an ENT. Thank God that I did!! I was also told that my body has been conditioned to run on a remarkably low amount of oxygen. Now that I can provide it with the proper amount of oxygen, my level of physical ability will skyrocket and be a "life changer". Talk about a new lease on life!! Thank you Merri!! You've changed my life forever.

I am a 26yr old mother. I also had my tonsilectomy recently Nov.4th 2013. I was perscribed Oxy and sleeping pills but the only thing ive taken is the antibiotics. I find this surgery to cause a lot of discomfort. But I haven't experienced bany of the levels of pain ive been reading. I feel like I get more headache s than actul mouth pain. Ive read and heard so so many horror stories that Im on egg shell s waiting for it to happen to me.... I just want a cheeseburger so bad.Honestly I think those pain killers may play a role in people having more problems post surgery. I hope anyone considering this journey has the best of recovery. Im thankful that so far I havent tried to rip my jaws off..best of luck!

Day 1 - got up as soon as I awoke from operation. Drank apple juice and water and ate sandwiches. Got home and kept drinking (peach nestea) and ate heaps of buns an bread etc. zero pain. Not sure if its because pain mess from op but I feel fine. I'm waiting for it to start hurting but who knows... Maybe it won't.

Jam has seeds, Jelly does not. Signed-YANK (as if you were the first person to ever use the word jam...)

Hi. Im a 23yo female from Europe. Just had my surgery done in Middle East. This is my day 2 and I would like to share my experience to make you feel more relax about this surgery, because most posts I read on internet were scary, but its not my case. DAY 1: I had my surgery done very early in the morning. Before surgery they inserted cannula in my vein ( which was the worst part for me, because im scared of injections) and I was given antibiotics and steroids. After they took me to the operation room where i was given oxygen mask and another injection - in one minute everything was blurry around me and I fell asleep. After I woke up they were waiting for my respond and then took me back to my room. PAIN : I would say its the same feeling like a sore throat. Nothing horrible. I was given 2 painkillers this day. I didnt have much problems with talking but I was adviced not to talk a lot. FOOD: I was given Vanilla custard and Ice cream twice this day and ate it without any horrible pain while swallowing - still just a sore throath feeling which become better till the evening. I WAS DRINKING WATER EVERY FEW MINUTES BECAUSE I HEARD IT HELPS AND I THINK IT DID... I had maybe 1L this day, just a small sips to prevent dry throat. DAY 2: I spent a night in the hospital..woke up without any major pain in my throath. Still just a soar throat feeling. I continue to get antibiotics, steroids and saline solution. I was given Vanilla custard and ice cream plus soft bread. No pain while swalloving. After breakfest they brought my painkiller which I took even though i didnt feel any pain, but i am kinda scared that if i didnt the pain would come

I am exactly the same, I'm on day 3 and so far I have had no pain and been eating totally normal since 2hours after my surgery and I just keep drinking lots, I'm also 24, I just hope it continues like this, I think in my case it could be the redhead gene kicking in #higherpainthreshold

I am 26 years old. I just had my tonsillectomy on the 7th. Prior to my surgery my doctor explained to me how much pain I would be in and I would hate him. Waking up from surgery I was immediately communicating vocally with the nurses and my doctor came and checked on me. He made the comment to my dad that I was doing great and smiling. I was prescribed a pint of hydrocodine/Tylenol. I didn't even pick up my prescription until the next day because my pain level was a 0. I was having no trouble talking and in fact I was going out shopping with my dad. I even stopped by my job and they were amazed I had just had surgery the day before. I have been getting migraines but they are not related to my surgery. I have only been taking pain medicine for my migraines. My pain level has not left a 0. In fact my scabs have already mostly fallen off and there is still no pain. I'm pretty much back to a normal diet. I can drink whatever I want without it bugging my throat and I actually was able to eat a cheeseburger last night with absolutely no problem. I too have been using a cool mist humidifier. I have also been trying to stay fairly active as well as always chewing gum. I am out of work for two weeks all together because of what I do. If I didn't have restrictions on me I honestly would have gone back the day after my surgery.

I had mine removed on Thursday 16/02/17 and apart from a little discomfort I feel fine, plenty of water I think