Hi Guys,

I spent many hours on these forums leading up to my operation which happened on Friday 16/10/09, I scared myself half to death by reading horror stories and watching youtube videos.

After reading so many peoples reactions and problems I figured I would offer my 2 cents and provide you all with a time line of what happened and how I felt / feel:

Day one ( day of operation ) Friday Morning I get up and head to hospital, I arrive at hospital at around 7am, I sit around waiting until around 11am when I finally get called through for my Op ( I spoke to numerous people in the time between 7 and 11 about my procedure etc but I won't go into detail on that here, as it's basic boring stuff )

I wake up at around 1pm and feel really quite good ( it's awesome stuff that morphine I tell ya! ) I slept for most of the afternoon, it gopt to around 7pm and they started bringing food round to people. I hadn't had any extra pain killers up to this point so eating was a bit painful, as a result I had to stay in overnight as I didn't manage to eat much.

Day two I leave Hospital around 10am after eating some toast, I get home and feel quite good about myself, pain was minimal, I could eat relativley normally, drinking plenty of water. Starting to wonder when the "intense pain" that i read so much about will happen.

Day Three Not much diferent to day two really, upon waking up I admit it's quite painful but it sure as hell wasn't unbearable, a few glasses of water and a few pills later and I was fine, again eating normally and drinking plenty, it's really no worse than a normal sore throat.

Day four
Really not a lot diferent, pain in the morning, but an hour later and everything is fine.

Day Five Pain was a little worse in the morning today but again nothing serious, easily standable, It's currently 14:50 on Day five and I really don't know what I was afraid of, for me this recovery has been a doddle.

All I have to say to all you out there who is having a Tonsillectomy done, don't believe everything you read on the forums will happen to you, everyone is diferent, but if you take the doctors advice and eat properly ( toast, etc ) you should hopefully have an easy and quite satisfying 2 weeks recovery.

The most pain I have felt since the morning of my Op was the needle going into my hand, and thats 100% serious.

I will, If i get chance upload photos of my throat to show you all just what it looks like ( not pretty I might add ).

Best of luck to everyone

I'm glad to hear that your recovery has gone so well, although I have heard that a lot of people have difficulty around day 8, so stick around and let us know how it goes through then, okay? I would like to hear how you're doing! THanks :-)

I am 18 and had my tonsils out 6 days ago and i have NEVER felt so much pain in my whole entire life!!! the meds i take (co-codamol) and voltarol don't even take the egde off the pain and i wake up every 2 hours at night feeling like someone has stabbed me in the ears!! the pain is also worsening and as I am on so much medication all i do is cry and feel so depressed! i cannot swallow food or even water which leaves me with an empty stomach and nausea after taking meds! does anyone know when this will start to get better???? i cannot bare it any longer :( :( :( 

Hey, So, I just got my tonsils out last Tuesday; which was last week. Okay. I read forums before and after my tonsillectomy. I'm 17, and I was traumatized about the whole process. But at the same time, I was sick of having throat problems and always being sick. So, I went and got it. Surgery was great. I don't remember any of it and my pain meds were awesome. Well, I got home and I was miserable. The medicine tasted like sh*t. And I got the liquid hydrocodone (gross). I also learned I am allergic to my antibiotic, amoxicillin. So I have been seriously sick since my surgery. I found out your hunger increases after surgery. I am starving. I haven't been able to eat a lot lately. The first few days I mainly ate popsicles and then force fed myself canned tuna because I needed protein. Last Friday, I was feeling okay and I went out with my friends. Bad idea. We went for Taco Bell and I got tired of eating within 5 bites. I went home and went to bed and the next morning I was in so much pain. The lettuce was too hard and the sauce was a little too spicy. I sat with an ice pack on my neck for like 4 hours. Any time I would fall asleep, I would wake up like every 2 hours from my throat being too dry and not having enough pain medicine. My ears would hurt from all the pressure. 

Like Dan Kelly said, the throat by the third day is NOT pretty. I have giant white scabs on the back of my throat. My once tiny uvula is like 6x its normal size. I am now a week from surgery and yes, the pain is gone somewhat, but I still get tired easily. I finally was able to eat boneless wings today and they were orgasmic. If I keep up on my meds I'm okay. I'm also learning ibuprofen is extending the time between dosages so I don't have to keep taking the hydrocodone (relief!). I can't wait for the day that the pain is gone and I'm able to finally be well again! So far, I would say the tonsillectomy was definitely worth it. Even though I still have some recovery to go, knowing that I will be well soon perks me up. 

Suggestion to all that my doctor said, the more fluids you drink, the better. She mentioned that carbonation burns, and it does. I learned that the hard way. Try to drink tons of water; I suggest with some ice. It feels better. Get a lot of rest and make sure you keep up on your medicine because it WILL help. Ear aches can be fixed by heating pads and swelling of the throat can be helped by an ice pack. Trust me, I've done all of this and I'm feeling better today than I did the other days. Try to sleep a lot because it helps you heal! 

Hope everyone gets through it and you can easily email me if you need anything (:

Seems for like it, I'm on day two and feeling c**p, but I have been getting different symptoms, like in my first day, the morning holy c**p, vomiting, headaches and I was so tired. Day two isn't as bad though but very very tired, I've noticed the white scabs as well and Jesus Christ it's annoying, it feels like it keeps peeling off but it isn't, I don't know but all is well

I feel your pain

Hey, did you get any better (given it has been over an year)