I’m confused. I’ve taken up swimming primarily in order to reduce my weight, but then a friend of mine told me that I should also have a strict diet regime. As far as I know during swimming you can burn many calories and I’ve read that a pro swimmer can eat food with approximately 5000 calories per day. How come then that I have to cut on my sugar and fat intake?

I must disappoint you! Your friend is right. There is no way that you can lose a significant percentage of your weight only by swimming. You still have to discipline yourself and cut on sugar and fat. According to certain official researches, there is very little chance that you can lose your weight only by swimming and retain your old eating habits. I don’t know why that is so, but I guess that certain metabolic processes are activated only after you’ve reduced the amount of food. It’s true that a pro swimmer can have almost 5000 calories daily, but swimming is not the only exercise he has. Besides, you certainly don’t have two exhausting trainings a day. So, stick to your amateur diet with lower calorie intake.

Swimming is great for weight loss but with a proper nutrition. If you want to lose weight you must watch what you eat. That means less calories, and more proteins.

Yes I am also thinking to practice this healthy method.