I have a great love of baking, and my top of the range standing mixer is in use almost every day! I've gone on a diet now but I have no intention to give up the baking - I'd just like to replace the white refined sugar I am using at the moment with something more diet friendly. What is your recommendation? What do you think the best diet sugar is?

If you don't mind forking out a bit (or a lot) of extra money for diet sugars, I think that stevia is a great one. My friend recommended it to me a couple of years back, when I developed a skin rash from refined sugars, and I have been using that on and off ever since. Stevia is actually ten times sweeter than sugar, and in Japan is commonly used in soda. It's not cheap though, and the taste does take a while to get used to.

I am a traditional foods kind of person, and I have used most natural sugars. In my house, maple syrup and honey are very popular, and we use a lot of apple sauce in cakes as well. I've also tried stevia before, but I don't like the taste of that at all. It's all bitter. Some people don't like to use too much honey either, but I do think that is a great alternative to sugar in many things.