My heart has been pounding out of my chest for the past couple of days. It is not an abnormally fast heartbeat, however, it is very very strong. I also feel very exhausted and like I cant catch my breath at times. I am just worried about my pounding heart!

Advise you keep off caffeine, alcohol, tabacco etc which can all cause palpitations. Fever can also cause this as well, the catching breath sensation might be originating from an extrasystole where the heart has done a compensatory pause. If it continues goto your GP!

My daughter is 10 years old and she is complaining that her heart is pounding very hard like "its coming out of my chest" three to four times in a day and sometimes during sleep. Am taking her to the doctor although we do not have insurance. Does anyone have some answers or advise. Am worried.

Hello. When I was a child I had symptoms similar to what your daughter is describing (I still do; I'm 45 now). My parents took me to the doctor and they diagnosed tachychardia (pulse over 100, even at rest) and a somewhat enlarged heart, but didn't see any otherwise unusual activity while I was in the office. But since I was also sometimes having chest pain and difficulty breathing during the episodes it was beating unusually fast, they put a Holter monitor on me to wear during normal activities. When I had it on in elementary school no one said anything about it; I did get teased in high school. Might want to tell her these are possibilities, but her friends and favorite teachers will be extra concerned and will watch for this. The monitor recorded information. If I remember right one of the two times it actually had an alarm on it if my heart went over 145 beats a minute.

They ended up taking me out of gym class and telling me to avoid being around smokers because it was clear that having to use my asthma inhalant made my heart symptoms worse. Apparently asthma medicines, diet medicines and other stimulants are very common causes of this. You may find removing a stimulant or two is enough. It wasn't in my case; my doctors did not know what else was causing flare ups (this was in the 70s and early 80s). I have since learned that gluten, mold and coal tar dyes (found in food colorings) also make my heart symptoms worse, so I eat a celiac diet and moved to the west coast so when it rains, it is cold instead of warm and there is less mold growth.

The symptoms never did go away; I don't have health insurance so I have not had the colon biopsy done to verify celiac disease. I can't say I eat an absolute perfect celiac diet; I don't for instance, scrutenize salad dressing and soy sauce bottles for gluten. I think my occasional laziness is because I don't have a diagnosis and sometimes I don't FEEL like being that strict or unusual, especially in restaurants. But if I ever go way off the diet; say have a large piece of cake, I am very, very sorry because my pulse and blood pressure both increase alarmingly. I have other symptoms of celiac and also reactions to a few other foods like dairy, so I although I am not perfect, most people think I am very strict.

I also got a blood pressure/heart rate wrist cuff that works with erratic heart beats and I check myself when I feel weird. Sometimes I have extremely low or extremely high blood pressure with a fast pulse - during those times I try to remove myself from the situation and go to bed. If I don't have a fast pulse coupled with unusual high blood pressure I look for other reasons I might feel odd, like I haven't eaten or drunk enough yet today.

I have had a few people treat me like a hyperchondriac, but I do have a pretty good life otherwise. I can think of three times when my symptoms were very severe and in all three, I was overextending myself rather ridiculously and should have known better. Two of the times I was ok the next day; the third took months to recover. However, knowing about the celiac connection has given me a lot of hope for the future. Celiacs do get an unusually high number of heart transplants, but that is if they don't follow the diet. Until last year, when I found the connection between celiac disease and heart disease, I was sure I was going to die young. I am so sure I'll be all right now that I enrolled in college and have become engaged!

It will be most important for your daughter if her symptoms continue to be able to surround herself with people who take her symptoms seriously without stifling her ability to have a good life. Hope this helps.