I have been experiencing this for quite some time. I have occasional palpitations that are very fast as well as abnormally hard (sometimes I notice that my t-shirt or entire foot are shaking to the speed of my pulse) that can last for hours; and panic attacks involving palpitations, sweaty palms, dizziness, a shortage of breath and an intense fear that I'm about to die.

I also have infrequent moderate heart pain (stabbing sensations that last no more than 2 or 3 seconds each, but they happen repeatedly over several minutes).

I've noticed that the palpitations occur around 5 hours after heavy drinking sessions and they are powerful enough to wake me up, and they also happen if I drink more than one cup of coffee a day. The heart pains are sometimes, but not always, triggered by the coffee; while the panic attacks can be completely random. I am also a smoker (about 3 packs of medium strength cigarettes a week). The cigarettes sometimes seem to cause palpitations and panic attacks.

By the way, I weigh 60kg which my parents seem to think is underweight. What I would like to know is whether these symptoms indicate any underlying heart problems that should be checked out by a doctor.

Thanks.

hi there I also have panic attacks and smoke also drink coffee and tea I have switched to all decalf and every once in a while during the week I get me a soda with caffine in it to help the headaches and I talked to my DR about it and they put me on a 24 hour heart monitor and found out that they was caused by my panic attacks they say that alot of people have them and feel dizzy .. heart palputations and or skipping beats angina... but it is veryt normal with the panic attacks and the blood pressure to rise and then lower after a panic attack .. thats when thngs try to return to normal then and I can tell you I have panic attacks at least 4 to 6 times in a day .. and I hope that this helped talk to the DR nabout the 24 hour monitor it is put on in the office and takes maybe 2 minutes to put on you carry a holster and it just monitors the heart beats etc.. the next day you return it and get the results back within 3 to 4 days very easy and painless .. wish you well...