Hi everyone, I am writing again after having bunionette surgery (osteotomy) on 11/3/08. I had a post-op checkup and xray last month and was told that my recovery was going perfectly and I should expect to be back to "normal" around the first week of February (3 months after surgery). Well that 3 month anniversary is fast approaching and I honestly don't believe I will be able to run and wear high heels in less than three weeks. I am still only able to wear a pair of very soft leather shoes with a lot of "give" -- the area where the bone was broken is still so swollen, red and tender! I am keeping my fingers crossed that there isn't a snowstorm in my city because I can't get my foot into my snow boots (and I love snow). I have what is supposed to be my final post-op appointment in 11 days so I guess I will have to wait and see what my doctor has to say. So from what she said, and what everyone else is posting -- I am concerned. I should be almost completely healed by now, and I'm not. I also still have to wear a compression dressing (tape or ace bandage) or else my whole forefoot is swollen by the end of the day. I am sitting at a desk for most of the day and I am honestly not on my feet too much. I am also young and healthy so I don't know why I'm not all better yet. I haven't worn heels (my footwear of choice, hence the surgery...) or done any vigorous walking/exercising since early November. Could you please recommend bunionette pain relief? Has anyone had a similar experience? Am I just overreacting? Thanks!

HI,

I'm unsure of the answer to your question but wold be interested in hearing how you are getting on over the next few months. I have been suffering from Tailors bunions for over 1 year and have not yet had surgery as i'm trying to go down all other avenues before considering surgery. After the snow today and having to wear wellies to work i'm tonight in complete agony! I think i'm going to have to have the surgery or else i don't see my feet getting better anytime soon!

Im coming to the end of my second week of recovery. I did have bunionettes which were genetic but wearing high heels which some were pointy worsened the condition making it uncomfortable and extremely painful to wear shoes and also my confidence went to a low because its an unpleasant sight to look at your own feet that has a lump growing on the side. I work in the corporate industry and must look professional all the time and to me that includes wearing heels because when i wear flats I look like a young girl and no one takes me seriously. Those were my reasons for having the operation but more so that as I get older (I'm 29) it will only get worse and the operation will be more severe so may as well get it fixed while its the beginning. I went to my first redressing first week after the operation and my Doctor said she will know if I've been naughty and have walked around. Luckly she said im recovery is spot on. Next week I have my 2nd redressing and I've noticed I have a few bruises and I think its because this week Ive been walking around a lot at home. What scares me is that I may have internally damaged something. So my advice take the Doctors advice and don't walk around even if you don't have pain when you walk the pain will follow the next day. Im off work for 4 weeks and I have post op ankle boots. My 5th toes were broken and I have a screws put in. I was told I can get on a bike at the gym with in 5 weeks or so after surgery.
I've gone up a size in clothing with in 2 weeks so girls out there watch what you eat while recovering. Its been so tempting for me to snack on ice cream and ask my partner to get junk food for me while I veg out and watch telly and dvd's. My advice on exercise while recovering do sit ups and crunch's focusing esp on your lower ab's because that's where your going to pile it on as well your hips and bottom but don't worry so much on that because once your back on your feet do some cardio like the bike or the cross trainer and steper..running is out of the question. For your upper body buy some dumbbells and work on your arms and also push ups are really good for the upper body.

Drink lots of water too to flush your system.

To those out there who have bunions and bunionettes I do suggest seeking medical advise and an x-ray. I did a lot of research and read forums on bunionettes but the only way to stop it from getting worse and to make yourself feel better, have the operation. Unfortunately Im on unpaid leave but I would have had this operation this year or next so it doesnt make a difference. I don't know what its like in the USA but in Australia i don't think the operation is covered by private health insurance, you can claim if you have hospital cover ( iwas only a day patient) but a day patient is only a couple of AUS hundreds.

Thanks to all those who wrote in the forum and on other sites. Your stories and advice did help me to make a start on getting this problem fixed as well knowing what Im going through someone else is experiencing it as well and it sharing their stories.

:-D

I am a nurse and work in the operating room so that means I am on my feet all day and all night if I am on call and have surgeries to do. I have bilateral (both sides) bunionettes and had the right foot done in 2007. Yes, the recovery is long about 12 weeks. I was very compliant, used my crutches to walk and had that foot elevated the whole time to reduce the swelling. I did not drive for eight weeks. After 2 years, I have the left foot done as well. My surgeon placed 2 screws and a pin to straighten that 5th toe. I am now going on third week postop and my foot looked great. Elevating the foot and icing it is very important. NO WEIGHT BEARING ON THAT FOOT to keep the hardwares in place because there is a tendency for that bone to fracture where the hardware is and that gets worse. My foot looks good, swelling and bruising is gone as well as pain. But I am not taking chances. I am just so bored to death but I keep myself busy, a lot of reading, catching up on my journals, earning contact hours for license renewal. Watch what you eat because of inactivity. You can do crunches and upper body exercises with the dumb bells. I miss going to the gym and doing ZUMBA. Be patient and there are really good days ahead.

jbean..How long will you be off from work? I am also a nurse and want to return to work asap postop

My 13 year old daughter who is a very talented dancer is scheduled to have surgery for bunionettes next month and she is very worried she will not be able to dance any more.  But the pain she has now, they say will only get worse if she continues to dance.  She wants to get back to dance ASAP, and I feel that she will rush and slow recovery and hurt her chances to heal properly.  Either way, she will be in pain with or without surgery.  But it is hard to convince a 13 year old to take it easy and be patient.  Any advice to calm her fears?

I had bunionette surgery on 7/29/11.  It was on my left foot and a pin was placed to help keep my healing bone straight.  The first 4 days were very uncomfortable (shapr pains at surgery site and strong throbbing in my foot).  The pain was enough to keep me awake or wake me up during the night.  I do not respond well to pain meds, so I was not a happy camper.  I knew it would be painful...it will be well worth it.  The pain was short lived.  I still use an ice pack on it every night and I used an ice pack on it pretty much constantly during the first week.  After the first week I would say I felt good.  My foot is sensitive if I apply pressure, but it does not hurt.  I get to see it tomorrow when they remove the wrapping and stitches (this is my 2 week mark since surgery).  I have not seen my foot since before surgery.  I came back to work after being very calm and at home for 9 days (including weekends).  I stayed with my Mom for the first 4 days for her help taking care of me and my dogs.  Coming back to work was fine.  I am not on my feet and I keep my foot elevated.  My recovery has been way better/easier than I had expected.  From everything I have been told this small inconvenience for a couple of months is well worth it.  I waited 1 year to do the surgery and I wish I hadn't waited.  I am so glad to have it behind me and look forward to a life without bunionette pain/ugly foot.  :)  Keep your head up to anyone who reads this.  Not all recovery is bad/long/painful.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel.

Could you please all tell me where i could go to get my taylors bunion operated on, i have been to doctors and poediatrists in my area and they havent been much help at all :-(

I have had my 2nd bunionette surgery a month ago. Sitting down in a chair is not staying off your feet. The only way I can keep the swelling down is to keep my foot elevated above my heart. With the first surgery I did it for 4 months. Now its like having a new foot! The new one is almost a month out and I expect a full recovery with another new foot around 3 !/2 to 4 months. I chose a doctor that only works on the feet Dr Ferkel in Van Nuys, ca. He is strict and very good. I had pain, worked as a hairdresser for 40 years,, so i know about being on my feet. My suggestion is ice, elevation and after you are healed aguatherapy.

Trust me...they DON'T get any better...I'm having my surgery on Tuesday the 11th....I finally gave in ...they just hurt more and more and it NEVER gets any better. I just can't imaging having to be off my feet for 6 weeks. I'm having it "shaved" instead of cut and pinned.

It's been 2weeks since my bilateral bunionectomy ,both tailors bunion ,osteotomy on left tailors bunion only.anyways...my concern is for my left pinky toe...I had the stitches removed today,went home,undid the dressings because I wanted to take pictures...well,don't know y I touched my pinky toe...it moved like it was completely broken..which I thought it would be more stiff since there were screws in there. There's feelings on the outside part ..shouldn't there be a little pain if I even touch it a little?

Yes, I had the taylor's bunion surgery in Oct 2013, now it is May 13, 2014 and I'm still having problems with my foot. I have now been put in an air boot, can't walk very far and foot hurts all the time.

I had tailor's bunion surgery on August 5, 2014. I chose to have the shaving done instead of the more extensive correction of the bone. I too have swelling at the operative site. I was also told it should be healed by now. I cancelled the other foot which the doctor wanted to do three weeks after the first surgery. I need to ice it daily, take pain meds and I can't put my full weight on this foot. What explanation did your doctor give you for the lack go healing?

I have been without a shoe since May 2013. The bunionette on my left foot was so inflamed that even after steroid injections I could not wear shoes. I opted for the "shave" surgery and had it on August 18th. Here is is September 30 and I still cannot wear a shoe. What in the world was I thinking?? I will have to be totally incapacitated before having the other one done/

my surgery was 1/7/15 in good health therapy 3 x a week. foot swells daily when on it bad after driving