Users comments and reviews on article Bunion Removal (Bunionectomy): Preparing For Surgery and post OP recovery by MariAnne

I found this article extremely helpful in what to expect. It also made me more confident in having the surgery.

Marianne - did you have the surgery? How's the recovery going? My husband is a cab driver and thinks he'll be able to return to work within two weeks!!!! What are the odds?

I was able to drive within 3 days after surgery with surgical shoe. Check with your insurance/attorney. If an auto accident occurs, despite who is at fault, the driver may be held liable.

I had surgery on the 30th july,Iused crutches for 2 days and have rested my feet in between doing the normal chores other than cooking but now am thinking I didn't rest enough as feet are now swollen and uncomfortable.I do not regret having the surgery but suggest you rest with feet up as much as possible.3

I had my surgery on the 28th of July, 2009.
Everything went like a charm. No pain, just a little picking sensation. Ibuprofen did the trick. I am very happy with the results. I elevated my foot just about all day for 4-5 days, getting up only to use the bathroom. (and light cooking)..It's now August 17th, and I'm just about ready to go back to work. I have a desk job which makes it convenient. ...so, there you have it...obey the doctor and you'll be fine.

I had my first surgery on 08/13/09,even with the swelling it feels better than before.I had my second surgery on the other foot 09/03/09.This was much easier than the first.My feet are swollen but not painful post surgery.I would advise anyone with bunions to get the surgery,your feet will appreciate it.Thank you

I had bunion surgery on both feet 12 weeks ago. The pain was excrutiating and I have only just started walking without crutches. My swollen feet are like elephant feet, I can't fit into any shoes at all. My toes are stiff and my feet won't bend properly. Will I ever feel better?

I had a bunionectomy on my left foot 2 years ago, I only had pain for a few days, the swelling went away after about 6 weeks,the scar is barely noticeable. I just had the right foot done 11 days ago, I am up walking with minimak discomfort, and healing quite nicely. I think the success of the surgery depends on the doctor as well as the following the post op instruction. I would advise anyone to have this done.

Im in my third week post surgery. The pain is now minimal but still taking panadol three times a day. I wish I had been given more info on expected swelling, bruising and stiffness of toe. I will return to work teaching in another three weeks and may have to request modified playground duty. Surgery is very limiting and I am not able to drive for another 3 weeks. If you drive for a career or on your feet expect to be limited for 6-8 weeks. This is an honest article. Thanks

hi im 15 years old n i have quite big bunions on both feet that are quite painful i am considering having them removed, i was just wondering if you have to be weighed before or after the operation

thanks

I just had bunion surgery on Feb. 8 and today is March 15 and I just got released from the dr. on March 10. Guest that has the husband that is the cab driver,you can tell him he will not be back to work for at least 6 weeks.

i have huge bunions on both big toes & both toes have gone numb now except for occasional SHARP electrical like shocks going thru bunions. Now I'm srarting to have problems with balance and walking straight at times.

im sceduled to have a bunionectomy in 8wks time on my left foot id like to hear from anyone whos had the surgery im from the uk

Hi, I have had a bunionectomy,back in feb and i can tell you it wasn,t the best experience i have ever had, after two weeks the stitches came out and it completely came apart, and got infected thanks to a very patient nurse at my GP's she did managed to make it better, but had a very nasty scar, which was soon made better with kelcote cream at £30 a small tube, designed and used by plastic surgeons, brilliant stuff as you then have to descenitise it with hot and cold water and any thing else you can find, 8 months on and i'm still having problems with plantar faciitis, and god for bid you experience mortons neuroma, like I did, just one bunion can effect your biomechanics over pronating, back problem, legs hips and knees,the only good thing to come out of my op was i now don't have back pain, but am waiting to be fitted with orthotics lets just hope it works, cause my husband has put me on a Shoe Ban Earth shoes are really good but only two websites sell them ( LOVE those ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed) as they are from America and buy a size bigger.

I hope this email helps friend. M Essex