Hi, just a question here. I had a bunionectomy on April 7th and it's healing fine as far as I know. I had the pins and stitches taken out on Wednesday. It's Sunday and the bottom of my big toe is numb, I can't feel anything and when I put my foot down, my big toe still stays in the air. Now my mom says that's supposed to happen but when I went to my doctor, he was yelling at me to put it down and I couldn't. Can anyone here tell me if that's supposed to happen? Thanks!
~Kelly

Hi there! I just read your post and wanted to see how you were doing and if there’s any progress with your toe! I had bunionectomy myself and I was lucky enough not to suffer from so much pain post op that everybody was warning me about. I did have some swelling for during the first two months but it went away.

My friend who had bunionectomy done a year before suffered from post op pain for over a year and this was freaking me out but I had no other options since I had pain wearing tight shoes, not to mention the cosmetical side.
I did some foot exercises and I healed pretty well. I haven’t heard about this inability to put the finger down but that doesn’t have to mean that it’s not normal.

I am interested in what your doctor said and did next and how you were doing. Hope to hear from you soon!

I remember that, when I had this surgery, my first question was - when I will be able to walk again? And what is the most range of the pain that I will fell? Of course, it is hard to tell that, but I just wanted to know what to expect. Anyway, my doctor told me that the usual recovery period after this surgery is 6 weeks to 6 months. This all depends  on the amount of soft tissue and bone affected. Usually, you will feel a pain, in your joints, your legs, you will have problems with painful little toe, which is the most common after this surgery. But you need to know that this procedure is more than just a healing. It is more of adapting to a new lifestyle, of some changes. After a couple of weeks, you will be able to get back into your daily routine, but not totally, which is normal. You will have to adapt to several new things and you need to understand that, during the healing process, you can't walk like you are used to. But this will pass, all you need to do is to have patience. 

Thanks for the reply! I just had an appointment with my foot doctor today and he said both were normal and my foot is healing fine so I guess it's okay. We actually scheduled to have my second foot done. That's going to be on July 7th. At least now I know what to expect. :-)

I am a 34 yr old who had a bilateral bunionectomy along with lengthening of the 2nd toe tendons 1.5 weeks ago. I have pins in both toes. I underwent general anesthesia (who wants to be awake for this procedure!) and woke up in no pain due to the Marcaine (anesthetic injected just before the procedure was over). I slept most of the day and night the first week mostly due to the pain medication. Had to be carried to the bathroom for the first few day and then hobbled around on the outside of my heels/feet since then. I will be having hte mini casts removed as well as sutures at the end of this week. I have varying intensity of constant pain but its tolerable with ibuprophen only. I have to elevate my feet several times a day as placing them down is very uncomfortable. This past weekend I thought I was going to go nuts from the lack of mobilization (you develop severe restlessness). My main complaint now is tingling and numbness of the big toes, especially on the bottom aspect. The toes are very uncomfortable to touch. I can't imagine waking on them. I also cant walk on my heels; only on the outside of the foot. Does anyone else have this problem? How long will this last? Will I have be able to walk again normally? By the way, if you are going to have a bilateral bunionectomy, you will need a caretaker to cook for you, shop, walk your dog, and clean your house. I also found the walker to be useless but the wheelchair is great for going out to dinner.

I had my right foot done on July 5, and my left on July 10. My right foot was a little more involved, bunionectomy, and correction of a hammertop, as well as stretching the remaining toes. I used a cane for the first few days to get around, but with painkillers I was able to use the bathroom, and get around a little on my own. After I had my second foot done I got crutches, but found it easier to hobble around without them. I am wearing a surgical shoe on each foot, which are bandaged and tightly bound, but no cast. The shoe enables me to walk around on my heels. I don't have any severe pain, but my feet do begin to ache when I am on them for any length of time. When this happens, I get into bed and read with my feet somewhat elevated. I have been out do dinner, taken several long car rides, and take care of myself and my two dogs pretty much on my own. The key is to do things slowly, and to stop when I begin to feel fatigued or too achey.
Tomorrow I will have my second post op visit with my doctor, and I think I will have stitches taken out on my right foot. Looking back, I should have made arrangements for a dog walker for my younger dog, as she seems to be getting restless. Also, you need people to drive you around if you need to shop, etc, and to your appointments.

I underwent a bilateral bunionectomy on July 19th as well as removal of tailor's bunions on both feet and hammertoe correction on both feet. The second and third toes, as part of the hammertoe correction, were shortened.

Apart from the near-madness one flirts with when confined to a bed/couch most of the day, I think I'm doing okay. I'm probably a surgeon's worst nightmare because I tend to overexert myself and really push my body past its limit. About two hours following my surgery, I hobbled into a pharmacy and ended up knocking a tube of lotion onto my left foot. My foot started bleeding but I ignored it. The day following surgery, I felt good so I started to walk around and even attended a four hour class. I paid for it the very next day when I woke up to swollen feet.

I returned to work yesterday and have been hobbling around as much as possible. When I sit, I always elevate my feet. I can feel wetness around the area of my stitches so I am returning to my doctor tomorrow to have the bandages changed (and he probably wants to inspect my feet again). The moral of this story is -- do not do anything of the above. I've probably prolongued my healing by a good week at least.

Side question: has anyone else experienced intermittent bleeding? I've not bled through the gauze but I can feel the wetness.

you seriously should not be so mobile right after bunionectomy or most surgeries. bleeding is not something that should happen and it is for this reason you need to limit your physical activities (even walking, standing) as much as possible. if you want to heal properly, follow your doctors orders.