Hi, I am a 53 year old female who had a second bunionectomy hallux valgus with osteotomy on March 21st, 2007. I am not about 4 weeks post op and for the last week have had an increase in pain in my foot that I had not experienced before this. In the beginning it was just painful to put any weight at all on my foot and it took about 2 weeks to put any weight at all on it. I was able to wear a regular sandal for one week till a few days ago, when the pain in my foot became so bad I had to put my post op shoe back on. I find myself walking on the side of my foot because the pain is so bad. I also have gone back to taking vicodin for the pain and hadnt done that in almost two weeks.
The pain is not at the incision site, but at the bottom of the first metatarsal foot and bottom of the ball of the foot. The physical therapist said I should mention it to my dr. next week when I see him. My foot hurts off and on even when I am not walking , just sudden sharp twinges. I do have a pin in my foot and it feels like it is right under the surface of the skin. Does anyone else have this bad pain on the same spot after their bunionectomy, and if so, how long did it last, and when did it go away? If it didn't go away, what did the dr. say the problem was? I really feel like this is not normal, as I had a bunionectomy in 1998 and it didnt have the same type of pain or symptons. Thanks fluffypurrcat

I am a 55 year old female and had a modified Mitchell bunionectomy with permanent pin in bone on my left foot last March 21, today 7 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago the Dr. told me to start wearing thick hard soled shoes or sandals. The first days I switched shoes with my orthopedic boot. Now I'm only wearing adjustable shoes and sandals. My foor is still swollen, red, painful and very sensitive. I 'm back to my daily routine and walk the dogs 3 times a day for about half an hour. I'm moving around a lot during the day. May be I'm overdoing?