I’m currently researching experiences from others regarding having the hammertoe surgery - at my consultation with the specialist he told me I needed it done on all 4 toes on my right foot and the middle toe on the left and he suggests I have both feet done at the same time. He also told me I’d need at least two weeks off work and that I’ll be wearing the surgical shoes for at least a month or more, depending on how well the surgery goes.

But when comparing that to the stories I read on here, those recovery times don’t seem realistic at all and I simply need to know how much time I’ll need to heal and not be able to work.

Hi Jeannie,

my mom had bunionectomy and hammertoe surgery done last year, and even though you're not having bunionectomy, hammertoes procedures caused my mom far bigger issues. She had to had it done on two toes, including the big toe and it was done with pins that were removed 4 weeks later. Despite all the icing of the foot and since she doesn't work and had the time to keep the foot elevated for maximum recommended time, both toes swelled up and she had two rounds of antibiotics as well. She was able to walk with the crotches after 2 weeks, but as far as wearing anything but surgical shoes or very loose sandals, anything else was out of the question.

So, you should either get the second opinion and ask all these questions about post-op recovery, or get another appointment with the current doc and go through every possible issue, since you'll be taking time off work.

I had my hammertoe surgery on four toes a week ago and am still experiencing a good amount of pain. It seems to be on the top of the foot, so I'm thinking it has to do with the pins inserted into each toe. To make things worse I get too nauseous when I take the prescribed Vicodin, so I'm hoping for a new painkiller prescription when I go to remove my stitches next week. Maybe I'm pessimistic because I'm still in pain and my foot is swollen, but you'll need much more than 2 weeks off work. I'll keep you posted how my progress goes.

Regarding early pain in hammertoe surgery:I am 13 weeks post operative hammertoe surgery second toe. I have been in constant pain the whole time. Since the pin was removed at six weeks the toe has become very swollen and red and the forefoot is puffy and red also, normal skin tone the rest of the foot. I am now trying acupuncture to stop the pain, taking gabapentin to calm the nerve pain also, and to see a vascular specialist about the circulation impairment. I am still taking Tramadol at night and have tried warm soaks, foot elevation most of my day, massage, but no better. I am sorry I did this. Think carefully before you have this surgery.

thanks for all your replies!

I'm currently waiting to get a second opinion and even maybe change the surgeon completely, because I called in the office trying to get an appointment to clarify all these issues and both the nurse there and the surgeon kept repeating that it will only take two weeks off work, I won't be in much pain after that... etc.

But judging from your experiences, if my foot is going to be a problem even 13 weeks later, I'm not sure I'll be able to handle that financially - I need to take care of my kids and my income is the biggest one in our household. I'll see what the other surgeon says and then decide.