I had hammertoe surgery on 2nd Jan (just over 2 weeks ago) on 3rd toe on each foot and derotational mallet toe surgery on 4th toes on each foot. The 4th toes are more painful, due to larger incision and rotation of the position of the toes. However, my third toes are quite floppy. I have had bone taken out of the joint and no pin. The stitches have now been taken out, but they are really quite floppy. I have been told they should firm up, but I am concerned.
Has anyone else had this problem? How long did it take for them to firm up?

Thanks
Sarah

Hi - Did anyone offer helpful advice on your issue? I actually had hammertoe surgery about 5 years ago and ended up with a fourth floppy toe. It is not really beginning to bother me and am looking into any corrective options. Let me know if anyone ever shared a similar experience.

Thanks,
Roch74

HI Roch,

I just had the surgery performed on my left toes: 2nd, 3rd and 4th on 14 July 09...my stitches came out after two weeks, but I DID have the dreaded pins put into each bone, on each toe, that were approximately 3 inches in length and stuck out of the ends of all three toes. The pins were removed on 25 August after being in place for 6 weeks!! Ughghgh that was the most horrific pain of my 40 years thus far. Anyhow, all three toes are still healing from the incisions; there are incisions on each of my three toes, straight down them. My toes are extremely stiff and hard to touch. I have adequate feeling in by surrounding big toe and little toes, but even when I attempt to manipulate those, it causes a great deal of pain to the middle three. Ughghhggh!!!! I am so disappointed after the pin removal, for my foot feels dead and useless! I have tried to put on the special boot and special black rubber shoe they gave me and use my crutches to walk and I cannot even do that, it causes too much pain for me! I am reading these articles, with people walking in 2 to 3 days with slight pain and wearing normal shoes, etc...and I can not even put a sock over my toes let alone a darn shoe!!!! When I read your concern, I was elated to find someone who is having the same problem as me. Do you think it has something to do with us having all three cut?? I had pins, you did not, right? How are you feeling now and how many weeks since you've been able to walk??

Take care and happy healing,
Sergeant Jones

Hi Sergeant Jones,

I'm sorry to hear you are in pain after the surgery. I hope by now you are feeling better. I believe
my situation is different from yours. I had hammertoe surgery on the 4th and 5th toes and I did
have the pins inserted as well but after the pins were removed, the 4th toe remained floppy. I can't move it
upwards and can only lightly press it down. From what I've read, it appears an excess amount of the
bone was removed on that toe and it now has lessened (more like completely removed) the tension on the tendon.
It's been 5 years since I had this surgery but I was scared to get it fixed, since the corrective options were
questionable. I believe one option was to implant bone graft...ironic how they removed bone and now they
need to put some back in! Now I'm very upset at myself for not looking into this more deeply then since
it's really begun to bug me. There are certain shoes that I would love to wear that I can't wear. I have
a hard time walking on sand at the beach and at times the discomfort does cause some pain. I always
have to conscious about this stupid toe whenever I get dressed (it can get caught up when putting on pants)!
I'm considering going back to the surgeon who did the surgery and revisiting my options. I'll keep you posted.
Let me know if you're still having pain or ended up with a floppy result.

Take care. Roch74

I had the surgery today and while the pain is not bad, I am self medicating with OTC drugs. I do not ever use narcotics. While I am walking unassisted so far from all the research I have done on this I regret doing the surgery. I did it so that I would be able to wear heels sometimes but I am hearing mixed answers. I was also in a lot of pain. i am reading that standing for long periods is out. So I did this for nothing. Guess I should have done the research before the surgery and not just listen to what my doctor said. Usually I think for myself and question what everyone says and does. This time I regret I did not. So lesson learned is do your research.

I am having my fourth surgery on my second toe on my left foot on Sept. 20, 2010 to have a pin put in. You guys are really scaring me with your comments. The first surgeron was just going to correct a hammer toe and it got so painful and swollen I ended up traveling out of town 50 miles to another foot surgeon who needed two separate surgies to correct what the first one did. Now I have the floppy toe and it piggybacks on to my third toe so trying to wear thong sandals is totally out and I usually end up barefoot because it's so difficult to find any comfortable shoes. If my dogs or grandsons bump the toe I am in extreme pain. I thought my decision to have the permant pin put in (I had a pin stick out of my toe for weeks after the second and third surgeries and it was eventually removed) was a good one. I went for Pre Admission Testing today but may still opt out of the surgery after reading the above comments. I plan to research this surgery more since I really only went on what my dr. said. Thanks everyone for giving such honest comments.

Regarding my floppy 4th toe issue, I decided to try a metal screw implant to stiffen the toe last year (Nov. 2009) and guess what, I just had it removed 4 weeks ago. The screw really worked out well except for when wearing closed shoes. I wore sneakers after the surgery through late Spring with some minor pain but only after walking for a couple of hours, plus my toe was still swollen. The summer was great as I was able to wear all kinds of sandals even high heels as long as they were open toe. I no longer had to be cautious about getting my toe caught while putting on my pants or in the sheets while I slept. It really worked out well and it looked good too....stiff and straight. But I already knew, based on the sneakers, that wearing closed shoes whether flat or high was going to be a problem. As soon as the fall came around and I began wearing closed shoes and experiencing swelling and pain even with sneakers again, I decided to take the screw out. Unless I was going to move somewhere tropical where I can only wear sandals and sneakers ocassionally, this sadly wasn't going to work out. One incentive for trying the screw was that there was a possiblilty the toe would be less floppy if I decided to later remove it due to discomfort or pain. It's only been 4 weeks since I removed it but I can see there is no change in how floppy it was then and now. If anything, it feels even more floppy now but I suppose it's because it was so stiff for an entire year that the opposite of that now seems worst than before. So, although in some cases it does help others gain some strength after the screw is removed and others end up keeping the screw with no pain and/or discomfort, this wasn't the case for me so I'm back to the same issue. I simply regret having the first hammertoe surgery as it was apparently the removal of too much bone which has left me with this damn floppy toe issue. In any case, I try to keep in mind that others have it worse (those who can't even walk) so I think I'll be ok with dealing with this floppiness for the rest of my life. I'm not touching my feet ever again unless it is extremely necessary due to unbearable pain, not just discomfort. I recommend anyone considering any type of surgery to please research the possible risks as I honestly didn't too deeply and worst of all was not advised appropriately by my doctor which upsets me to thid day. Good luck to all.

Do the Pins slide out on their own

Hello, I had hammertoe surgery on the 3rd toes on both feet back in 1998. I can't move one on the right foot since then.  I know exactly how you feel.  Believe it or not I thought that I was the only one on this planet who had this problem.  I wisited one doctor today after all these years, and he told me: "I can't help you, there is nothing what can I do, I mean this was expected problem after that surgery"  I left the office crying.  What can I say.  Maybe I have to live until the rest of my life like this.  I understand exactly what you are going through.  Please keep me posted if you have any news.  I am from New Jersey, my name is Vesna.

Hi, my name is Vesna, I just registered today, and i wanted to reply to your post, but it was posted like new one.

vesna742 seconds ago

Hello, I had hammertoe surgery on the 3rd toes on both feet back in 1998. I can't move one on the right foot since then. I know exactly how you feel. Believe it or not I thought that I was the only one on this planet who had this problem. I wisited one doctor today after all these years, and he told me: "I can't help you, there is nothing what can I do, I mean this was expected problem after that surgery" I left the office crying. What can I say. Maybe I have to live until the rest of my life like this. I understand exactly what you are going through. Please keep me posted if you have any news. I am from New Jersey, my name is Vesna.
_________________

i am in the process of having a decision on my toe bone not the smallest toe the next one in has a wound in between the toe due to the bone growing crooked behind the other and being in a shoe and on my feet all day at work the wound became irritated caused a hole it has healed greatly but now we have to fix the bone what should i expect ? ythe dr told me its a 10 minute outpatient surgery in a hospital????? please help

I had hammertoe surgery on the 2nd and 3rd toes of the left foot and now have a floppy third toe and an infection. I don't know what's to become of the third toe. The tip hits the ground and is painful.

Hi , I had hammertoe surgery about 3 years ago and I only have only floppy toe on the 4 th digit of my foot. My doctor doesn't believe I should repair , or do any surgery due to diseases in the future, but I have pain in toe , and that toe is the only toe that flexes backwards the most. I wish god, could help me

I have the same problem!!!

Hi! I had my third toe surgery on both feet back 17 years ago.....I ended up with floppy toe on the right foot. I have the same problem as you.....until I read your post I thought that I am the only one in this world who had this kind of surgery gone wrong....it's very hard for me also. I can never wear shoes that I want or like you said walk on the sand, it's too embarrassing. Let me know if you had any corrections done.