Hello! I have tailor’s bunion, and it is so annoying that I decided to have a bunionectomy done. I am signed up for next Thursday. I am interested in how the recovery goes. Are there any side effects? All replies are more than welcome!!!!

Oh, yes. I think that there is nothing that can make me mad and nervous like this, I still haven't decided to do this surgery, but I think that I will have to do it soon. Look, like with every surgery, you can expect to have some side - effects. Like, for example, your foot will be bandaged, numb and you will feel pain, but that is all normal. There are so many ways for bunionette pain relief. Also, you need to know that you will be sent home only when you are comfortable, with a follow-up appointment and painkillers if required. Good luck. Maybe I will do it soon as well. 

Hi there! Yes, bunions….annoying very much indeed. I had bunionectomy done a year ago. It was no big deal, I was unconscious ( general anesthesia ) and therefore felt no pain what so ever. I went home that day, but I did everything by the doctor’s orders….kept my foot away from pressure, and possible injury and it healed in about 4 weeks. I had no side effects! Good luck with your surgery!!!!

I've had tailors bunion surgery about 2 months ago, and had that joint at the small toe completely removed. My surgeon says that I'm recovering as expected, even though I do have some pain walking says it's to be expected. I'm very interested in hearing about any one elses recovery. Mine has had some real ups and downs. I'd welcome any and all feedback.

Hi - I had tailors bunion surgery 2 months ago and would like any feedback about recover, and pain experienced. I'm feeling disillusioned, and need to hear from others that this process was worth it. I feel like this post op pain will never go away. I miss my gym terribly and want to know when people have resumed their 'normal lives'. Sorry to sound so blue, just suprised that I ache as much as I do.

Had the Austin and tailor bunionectomy about 1 month ago on left foot.
The Austin bunionectomy in the big toe has NOT caused me hardly
any pain. Howver the tailor bunionectomy on outide bothers me at least 3 to 4 times a day. I was surprised it would be that worrisome. I'm getting around pretty well despite everytihing.

Hello!!,

I had a tailors bunion removed 4 days ago, and boy is it painful, !! I'm 26 years old and had a tailors bunion for 3 years before I decided to go ahead and take care of it. I do not regret it one bit , My foot had developed an ugly calus , and I was always in pain. I do admit it is painful and the worst part is not being able to get around or walk. I have a catheter in the suture line that delivers analgesic medication, along with oral pain medication . The best thing to make sure is that you get plenty of rest, and dont rush the healing process.

and boy oh boy is it painful! I cannot stand it! So, This friday, I am getting a surgery done...

does anyone here know anything about the surgery??

Hi - I am getting the surgery next week myself. I need to get it on both feet. Has anyone ever done both at the same time?

What was the full recovery time for most? I heard 8-10 weeks and wondering if that will put me out for the ski season after or if I will be able to. Hoping for a good surgery and fast recovery. Thanks!

I had surgery last Friday and an doing quite well. I have only had to take 3 pain pills. I am doing as my doctor ordered: keep the foot iced and elevated.

I go in tomorrow for bandage change/check. Though I miss being out and about, It is not too bad to just be inside sitting around.

Good luck to all who make the choice to have this issue corrected. I too was very scared, but I'm glad I decided to do it after almost 8 years of pain. I'd rather be in crutches and have a little discomfort for 8 wks than go on for God knows how many years of pain.

I had a my Tailor's B...done two weeks ago...no sweat. I followed orders to the T--even though I was up and down a lot-- and I feel fine already.

ICE ICE ICE!!!!! I used the cloth-like bags they gave me at the hospital (asked for more to take home) and just kept it on my foot as much as possible.

I am wearing an air cast and get around without crutches already. I have driven my daughter to school without a problem but I take the cast off so I don't get a ticket--just in case I get stopped for some reason (although it's been 15 years since the last time--broken tail light) anyway...

The recovery is more inconvenient than painful...you will get painkillers, which I just took regularly the first week (kept me from going stir crazy and helped me sleep)

I didn't have much help the first week (husband goes to work at 5:30, daughter gets bus at 6:30) and had to get as prepared as possible...I would have my daughter set out the food I wanted to cook for breakfast and sit on bar stools (using one for my foot to stay elevated) I would make my coffee and breakfast and eat right on the island in the kitchen. I also got frozen lunches, or my daughter would put leftovers in the fridge for me to microwave easily...the hardest part the first week was carrying anything back and forth to the couch, going up and down stairs to and from bed, and going the bathroom using only one foot and crutches.

I used a big thermal mug that had a lid that closed to carry water back and forth (using my index finger to carry it while holding on to the crutch...hence the (mostly!) spillproof mug. And kept snacks around my couch area.

Bathing was an adventure too...I got a shower chair, which was a lifesaver. I have a large tub too, with a handheld shower attachement. I would prop my foot up on the edge and just bathe, once I was in it was no problem.

Standing on one foot a lot, and using crutches, made my body sore (and butt muscle!) so painkillers helped with that too.

Let me see...what else?...boredom (painkillers helped there too!) I got books I had been wanting to read, magazines, even coloring books, rubik's cube, DVD's, laptop, stationery for letters, and projects I could work on at the couch (like putting all birthdays/events on next years' calendar, Bible study, organizing photos on the computer, cleaning out files on computer, making a list of all the things needing done around house, etc.) COmputer has been a lifesaver. Our church has all their sermons online as well so I got to listen.

Let me know if you have any specific concern I can help with. Otherwise...again, good luck. Preparation is key!!

Moi

I had my Tailor's B...done two weeks ago...no sweat. I followed orders to the T--even though I was up and down a lot-- and I feel fine already.

I used a big thermal mug that had a lid that closed to carry water back and forth (using my index finger to carry it while holding on to the crutch...hence the (mostly!) spill proof mug. And kept snacks around my couch area.

Bathing was an adventure too...I got a shower chair, which was a lifesaver. I have a large tub too, with a handheld shower attachment. I would prop my foot up on the edge and just bathe; once I was in it was no problem.

Let me see...what else...boredom (painkillers helped there too!) I got books I had been wanting to read, magazines, even coloring books, Rubik’s cube, DVD's, laptop, stationery for letters, and projects I could work on at the couch (like putting all birthdays/events on next years' calendar, Bible study, organizing photos on the computer, cleaning out files on computer, making a list of all the things needing done around house, etc.) Computer has been a lifesaver. Our church has all their sermons online as well so I got to listen.

Let me know if you have any specific concern I can help with. Otherwise...again, good luck. Preparation is the key!!

Moi

I had my tailor's bunion removed with oesotomy as well 4 days ago.i am staying off the foot ,taking medications and keeping the foot elevated as my Dr. ordered.so far it's okay,going this week for a check-up. i feel fine

Just want to know from someone who has had this surgery, was it worth it, and how painful was it? Thanks! Hope you are all feeling better!!!

Softtail,

I had the surgery on 11/3/08. (Distal chevron osteotomy for bunionette on my right foot). I am still in a walking cast/boot and there is still some swelling ... so I can't say yet if it's worth it. (I think it will be!)

I had an ankle block so the first 12 hours my entire foot/ankle were numb. Once that started to wear off, the pain was extreme and I really needed my pain meds. The first week was the most painful and it's steadily improved since then.

I will have the stitches out this week, then I have one last post-op check up in two weeks. That will be four weeks time since the surgery ... From what I hear the total healing time is closer to 8 weeks.

I still have slight pain now, so whenever I can I rest and ice my foot.

I hope this email is helpful. Good luck =)