I am a 21 year old female. I had sex for the first time a month and a half ago. (protected) Soon afterwards I got a yeast infection during my period that I treated with equate's miconazole. It went away in About a week. Had constipation took something so i eventually went to the bathroom. Then I began to experience abdominal pain (more unusual than painful ... But still painful). So about 2 days later I began to feel a cramp on my upper thigh so that same day I went to the hospital. They did a ct scan and an ultrasound they said I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. The doctor just told me to take medicine for it. The leg cramps got worse and were scaring me so I went back to the same Hospital 3 days later they said it may have to do with the ruptured cyst but when they checked my urine they said I may have an UTI coming on. So they gave me medicine for UTI. They sent me to the GYN who gave me birth control in order to stop ovulation which could irritate the rupture. Soon after that I began to feel nausea, dizziness and chest pains as well as brown vaginal discharge. So I woke up the next morning or so and I vomited. I went to another hospital where they treated me and they said they couldn't find anything wrong so the just replaced my UTI medicine with levaquin (250mg 6 days in). They sent me back home that night and the next morning they told me to come back because the ct scan they did there found that I had a swollen/enlarged liver and a little fluid around my heart. I came back the doctor said he couldn't find the problem so he sent me home and told me to see my doctor. She told me to discontinue the birth control. My doctor couldn't come up with anything so shes running more tests. Right now I feel a burning chest pain below by right breast also on the left side of my chest and in my mid back on my left side, still dizziness, a bit of pressure behind my left eye, and nausea, still leg cramps/pain, upper back pain. This has been going on for over three weeks. I'm Really worried. What could be wrong with me?

Can someone Please respond... I am worried! could this be an STD even though I had protected sex?

Hi April,

No, it doesn't sound like an STD.   

They are, or were, treating you for an infection.  Levaquin is an antibiotic.  It can also have some serious side effects such as muscle and joint pain, chest pain, rapid heartbeat, abdominal pain, etc.  In short, a lot of what you're describing could be side effects.

I'm curious as to why the enlarged liver or the fluid around your heart (pericardial effusion).  They may or may not be related.  The fluid around the heart could be from a virus, maybe a drug reaction, or even rheumatoid arthritis or other problems.  The liver could be enlarged, again, maybe due to a virus.  The enlarged liver isn't the cause, it's a symptom.

I can't second guess your doctor.  I do hope they are continuing to evaluate you.  Have they drawn labs?  How are the values? 

Hope it helps.

Thanks for your response.

Although i have had protected sex I am worried that it could be HIV I've been surfing the net non stop since I've developed these symptoms and they are similar. (nausea, joint pain, etc.) I know the only way to be sure is to get tested but should I be worried? Could this be possible?

Today my doctor called me and told me my liver was normal but my white blood count was slightly low. I will go back to the doctor in 2 weeks for more evaluation.

I don't think the leg pains are side effects because I had them before I started taking any medication.

Typically, HIV infections would start out 2-3 weeks after exposure with a "flu-like" illness.  Do you remember having such an event?

This started over 3 weeks after..
fever (No)
severe aches and pains in the joints and muscles and around the eyes (yes, leg not really severe)
generalized weakness (weakness due to nausea)
ill appearance with warm, flushed skin and red, watery eyes (No)
headache (Yes, just began recently)
dry cough (No)
sore throat and watery discharge from your nose (I had sore throat once it went away after a day)

sorry but I'm going to give you the specific version of what I told you before.

Please Read

*Had protected sex the first time on February 16 then again (19 days later same guy still protected) on march 6.
*March 9 (three days later) I got my period during that time I had a yeast infection. treated it with miconazole went away by the end of my period
*period ended on march 16. From the end of my period I began to have abdominal pains up until march 21 I sucked it up until I started to get cramps in my upper right thigh.
*I went to the emergency room on March 21. The doc said I had a ruptured ovarian cyst. (No meds for that Just ibuprofen)
On March 26 I went back to the ER because I still had pain. They just found I had a UTI coming on (e coli in urine) so they gave me Nitrofurant (100mg)
*Woke up March 30 around 5am and I was vomiting followed by a loss of appetite, dizziness, chest pains, etc. so that morning I wen to a different ER. they couldn't find anything but they look me off of the UTI medicine and put me on Levaquin (250mg).
*They called me back on March 31 and told me they found that my Liver may be swollen and maybe a little fluid around my heart. (one doc found it normal, the other didn't)... they still didn't find any source of infection (they did tons of blood work 13 different samples that day!)
*I went to the GYN on April 2. she put me on birth control to stop ovulation so my ovarian cyst wouldn't be irritated) this was followed by brown discharge.
*I went to my primary care doctor on April 3 she took me off of the birth control my period came on April 5 came off April 9 (short for me).
April 9 I had an Ultrasound done on my chest (for liver), right Leg (still waiting for results) and blood work.
as you know now the blood work read that my White blood count is slightly low and my liver reading came back normal.

Right now I'm still feeling cramps & sharp pains in my chest (left & right), pains in my legs (mostly right), and a little pressure on the left side of my head.

Thanks again for your Help! I appreciate it.

The low wbc could be due to a virus. Your symptoms do suggest a virus but whether or not it is HIV is difficult to say.

A ruptured ovarian cyst can give you pain that radiates down your back into your thighs.

Are you having "night sweats?" Are your lymph nodes swollen?

The other issue is that usually the initial symptoms only last for maybe a week or up to a month. It's been more than a month.

The only way to diagnose HIV is with a test. If you used protection then the odds are low. A yeast infection after having sex is not that unusual.

Could a ruptured ovarian cyst still affect me this long after being resolved?

No night sweats or lymph nodes.

I am not sure if the slightly low WBC are usual for me because my doctor didn't have anything to compare them to.

I plan to get tested really soon.

No night sweats or lymph nodes.

I plan to get tested really soon.

tested negative for HIV and other STDs, I am waiting on my pap smear results and HSV results. Still can figure out whats wrong

i have the same but i have arm and leg pain since 2010 my whole body hurts now and they cant find any thing wrong, they say its a pinched nerve in my back and i dont think that whats wrong, i am asking for help/?

first let me say I am not a doctor but it sounds like you have endometreosis and possibly ovarian cysts. Your symptoms are real and it is hard to find a doctor to believe in your symptoms but there is a doctor out there for you. I would start with an OBGYN. I had endometreosis and ovarian cysts 13 years ago I had a total hysterectomy to fix this but now I'm having trouble with endometreosis again. You don't have an STD. My symptoms of endometreosis and ovarian cysts was exactly like yours. Pain in my upper thighs , nausea, abdomen pain, heavy bleeding during menstruation, alot of low and mid back pain ( i mean bad pain, I couldn't move every morning because of the pain. I use to have my husband pull my legs out of the bed and then I would crawl up the side of the bed and walk myself upright by slowly pushing myself up using my hand on my legs and pushing and walking by hands up my body until I was upright. and then I couldn't sit down for about and hour because I would get stuck due to the pain. all along I still hadn't had my morning pee and to be honest I often peed myself because the pain was so bad and I couldn't sit on the toilet because I couldn't bend yet.) I feel so sad that you had to endure this with your first sexual experience. And that's another symptom I had awful pain during sexual intercourse. And it got so bad I had to start seeing a therapist because it was so frustrating and driving me insane all because I couldn't find the right doctor to help me. The bad news is you could still have this issue even if you have a hysterectomy like I did. Dont get me wrong I had complete relief for 13 years and I'm currently seeking medical assistance now for treatment. I would think that if this was your first sexual experience that you have no children and would not want to have a hysterectomy yet if you want children. When I was first diagnosed I couldn't afford to take off work to have the surgery and my OBGYN gave me a shot in his office every three months which did hide my pain and give me almost 100% relief. It was called a depo shot not the depo pravera shot which is for birth control just a depo shot I think you can get one that last 3 months or 6 months. But remember this only hides the pain it does nothing to fix your illness and it will continue to get worse even though you wont have the symptoms but at least this could postpone a hysterectomy until you decided to have a child. Hope this is helpful information for you and good luck in finding a good doctor to help you! God bless you