Okay, so I am only 20 years old. However, I have a child who is now two. Before I gave birth to my daughter, I had always had a pretty strong stomach. I had no major problems with nausea, vomiting, or any of that...I was rarely ever sick with any type of stomach illness, and if I was I hardly EVER threw up. Anyway, about 3/4 months after she was born I decided to go ahead and get the IUD Mirena, which I like pretty well. But, shortly after getting my IUD I was fatigued 24/7 no matter what I did, I was sleeping for 2/3 days straight, which eventually led to my diagnosis of Hypothyroidism (which is common in women after childbirth). Fortunately, after about two weeks of taking my medicine prescribed for my Thyroid problem I was feeling 100 times better and could actually focus and not so fatigued.

But unfortunately, about a month later I started experiencing severe abdominal pain. The very first time (& I'll never forget it), was during intercourse, it was so painful and I actually ended up going to the hospital because I thought it HAD to be kidney stones or something pretty serious..I had never experienced any abdominal pain like that before. My hospital visit was anything but helpful, the doctor's basically said that it was just gas and constipation...which my mom and I both thought it was RIDICULOUS & honestly pissed me off more than anything. So I went home that night pretty upset, and the next morning I woke up extremely nauseated and actually vomited several times, which usually I can control my nausea very well (bc I actually have a major fear of throwing up-always have), but that morning I couldn't control the nausea at all. I probably threw up 20 times, no exaggeration. And since then, the nausea, abdominal pain, burning in stomach, constipation, and very little symptoms of diarrhea have continued. I'll have my good days and my bad days of course, but what's funny is that the abdominal pain will come at the most random times. I have gone 3 months without abdominal pain, and then randomly it will just hit me....followed by the severe nausea, along with little to NO appetite whatsoever. These "episodes" or whatever you want to call them, last for about a week, but then I eventually go back to feeling more like myself. It's an ongoing struggle for me though, because I never know when I am going to feel good and when the abdominal pain is going to come back. I have had 4 unsuccessful ER visits (2 diff hospitals), about 10 tests done on my stomach by the gastroenterologist...and all have been negative. (colonoscopy, endoscopy, hida scan, gastro emptying tests, ultra sounds, bacterial overgrowth test, & a few others)

One more thing I'd like to add, is that even when I barely eat anything, my stomach feels like it is filled with acid. I can feel it and even HEAR it sometimes. Yet, I have been told I have no ulcers, and no acid reflux. Point blank, whatever this illness is, it is taking over my life. I have been through test after test after test and it's gotten me no where. I feel so hopeless, and it seems as if NO ONE understands how much it is affecting me. I'm tired of people thinking nothing is wrong with me, because obviously there is. But if ANYONE has any good tips/even suggestions on any good gastro. doctors I would REALLY appreciate it. I have been going through this for about 2 years now, and it's only getting worse! I live near Louisville, Kentucky..but I am willing to do some traveling for a GOOD doctor who is willing to do everything in their power to help me get to the bottom of this. Feel free to email me too if you have any helpful info. I'm desperate!

Thanks,
Lauren

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hi Lauren

Im from australia, and have just turned 24 - i have been experiences the same symptoms as you for the last year, with the exception i haven had a child. i did find some relief coming off contraception and have played around lots with my diet - no diary, limiting fats and oils, sugar etc... it seems to help but not cure it or fix it - just ease it.

Ive been to the emergency room countless times, and have had so many tests from STD's through to ultrasounds and colonoscopies - i have been convinced that they would find a growth but they have never found anything - the most doctors can give me is irritable bowl syndrome but those methods (medication and diet) still haven't fixed it, it might stop for a while but then after a while its back!

its taking over my life - i work as a teacher but cannot hold down a full time job and im lucky if i can manage a couple days a week - and then i feel awful that i cant work and it stresses me out and makes me worse!!!

i feel for you and hope that you find some ease soon!

Hi, unfortunately I have no answers but find myself in a similar situation.

I've been suffering for 3 years and counting. I'm 22 and haven't had any children. It all started boxing day 2006. I started getting random abdominal pain which increased over 5 days. I hadn't had it before and I was about 17 so I just ignored it and put up with it, thinking it would go away. By NYE night at 7pm, I woke up from a power nap (preparing for the night) and the pain was so intense I couldn't move. I was ambulanced to hospital by 8pm. I couldn't get anyone to drive me because all of my friends were already at parties and been drinking.
The hospital gave me morphine, kept me there for 1 or 2 days and tested me for any STD's, ran an ultra sound and looked inside my girly parts by sticking a camera up there (very instrusive, painful and upsetting, especially when it's all for nothing). They shrugged their shoulders and sent me off. My GP could only suggest that I possibly had an ovarian cyst, which burst and passed through before they could find anything. I don't know why the hospital couldn't tell me that (grrr).

Since then, I still get random abdominal pain (still ranging from sharp and sudden, to radiating pain that hangs around, to a dull pain - and mainly in the spots where your ovaries are, sometimes one, sometimes both ovaries, and sometimes anywhere in the abdomen), nausea-from slight to intense, bowel problems, fatigue/weakness, my breasts swell up and down all the time - it is ruining my life!

I got a lapraoscopy in Sept 2008 to check for endometriosis, which I do not have. My gyno found a cyst and took it out.
So, the general consensus over this time is that I get cysts that come and go but hang around enough to create annoying and life-disturbing symptoms.
The past 3 years, the symptoms have been on and off. In those years however, I've had some physical injuries from 2 accidents (August 07 & March 08), which have required strong pain killers. So, I would say that I was most likely still suffering but the pain killers for the other injuries were covering it up.
December 09, it got so bad that I went to hospital again. They thought I had Appendicitus so they took my Appendix out via a Laparoscopic Appendectomy. The surgeon found a cyst in an ovary but left it in there because he thought it would go away by itself (thanks alot). I'm telling you now, my appendix had nothing to do with it. It was not appencitus, my appendix was kinked on itself instead (probably from one of the accidents). I've been back to that hospital and they think I'm crazy. It's very distressing when the professionals who can actually help you, just think it's all in your head. The pain has NOT improved.
I cannot hold down a full time job. I am just so over it and just want to get on with my life but no one can fix it!!!!

In May this year, my gyno told me to try taking the Pill to see if it can stop the cysts from forming and if my pain gets any better. We both don't want me to have a 3RD laparoscopy. I'm almost at the end of the 3 month trial and NOTHING has changed.
I've even had accupuncture and seen a kinesiologist as well!!

At the moment (symptoms are also random and come and go as they please), I'm suffering from:

-unexplained weight loss - I'm usually around 60 kilos but now down to 54 without trying
-abdominal pain(not just lower but random spots in upper and lower abdomen)
-nausea - I haven't vomited in a while but I come very close to it most of the time
-constipation and diarrohea
-normal appetite but as soon as I start eating I'm turned off it and feel full, especially breakfast and dinner.
-chest pains/pressure
-fatigue and weakness - even from easy activities like playing ball with my dog (just in the loungeroom, not outside).
-shortness of breath

I have suffered with severe stress and trauma - I had post traumatic stress disorder but am no longer harbouring anything and have "processed" everything and am a very happy person.
My kinesigologist said stress can alter things in your body and create serious problems. Among many things, one thing kinesiologists do is test certain "points" to see if there's particular emotions harming parts of your body. You have to hold your arm up in front of you level with your shoulder level. He presses certain points of your body and you have to hold your arm strong. If he is able to push your arm down easily, whilst you are holding it strong, you've tested negative reaction for the point in the body he has his fingers on. If it stays up, then that part of your body is fine. For example, if he tests the gall bladder point and you have a negative reaction, it means you have resentment toward something because that's what that point represents. If your kidneys test negative, it means you're fearing something and it could be causing kidney pain or something. It's all very interesting. I actually became lactose intolerant for a while because of stress, but he fixed that right up!
He has worked on my gut as well. There's a valve from the stomach to intestine which allows food to pass through and closes up so none can come back to the stomach. When people get stressed, this valve can remain shut, even if there is food waiting to go through it. He has fixed that and many other points.
When I went to see him last, he was incredibly impressed with my body's emotional and physical state (this was 2 weeks ago).

I know googling things can send you mad and into a confusing maze of diseases and possible solutions. My GP, gyno and kinesiologist are on my side, but they're unable to cure me at the moment. I am so determined to cure myself because I can't keep going on like this. I've googled things and it seems I could have a type of cancer (such as colon cancer) or ulcers of some sort. I want to get new scans of my ovaries to see what state they're in but also, I'm thinkning I should get a quote for an MRI. Apparently, you can find anything on those things if you're looking for it. I'm also very poor though and heard MRI's are expensive. I'm going to my GP tomorrow to discuss what I've found on google to see if maybe I've discovered something they haven't thought of.I have a history of bowel cancer in the family and that is it, but I'm told I only need to get check ups for that once I hit 40.

Does anyone know what is going on??? If anyone has ANY ideas, I am all ears!

Thanks,

Susan.

I have no answers. Simaler problems. I am 24 and I have been living with this since I was 14 years old. Ten years is a long time....I have considered suicide because it seems like I will never get better....never feel "ok".....

I am ALWAYS niauseous. There are few moments I am ok. My intestines burn and cramp. I have a "fatty tumour" where the pain is most severe. Pressure to this area USED to provide temporary relief but does not anymore. Other symptoms include: puffy eyes/face, headache, inconsistent stool, vomiting food out of order (throwing up breakfast foods before seeing lunch foods come up), inconsistent stool, vomiting small amounts of blood, and NO stomach acid, I am very sensitive to the heat also. I have had a scope up both ends twice, the test where they make you eat hadioactive eggs and watch you digest them, complete bloodwork by an endocrinologist. I used to see an acupuncturist that was the only relief I. Eating makes it better. Especially fruits, fatty foods, sugary foods. Clear carbonated beverages help. And this morning chocolate milk seems to be working for me. I also a very athletic person....riding horses and walking/running 15 mi. a day- and I am svelta and skinny all except for a little lower abdominal fat I can never get rid of.

Anyways.....I feel your pain. My DR's say it is psychological because I have a long history of self mutilation, mood swings, antisocial behavior. But that is bull***!! I LIVE in this body everyday...every moment. SOMETHING is wrong. Can anyone help?

Have you had a liver panel done?? I suffer from extreme nausea, vomiting (have absolutely no desire to eat anything), excessive thirst and frequent urination. Severe constipation to diahrea. Headaches, dizziness, MAJORLY SEVERE STOMACH AREA PAIN...so much so that it doubles me over and takes my breath away. It's feels almost like my stomach is having a charlie horse....I also have extreme fatigue, so much so that I could literally fall asleep walking. I am irriatable and my stools are almost a milky white. There are several other symptoms to but I've given a lot already.

Anyway, my liver enzymes are 700 times what they should be. My stomach area is distended due to my liver being swollen. It actually hurts to bend over or to slump because of this. My doctor is running other tests and I am seeing a liver specialist to find the cause of my liver problem. It's just classified as liver disease.

I have no idea if any of this fits you or not but I went to numerous doctors complaining of the above problems and they have just gotten worse over the years. I have had countless colonoscopies, upper GI's, stomach pills, and every doctor just claimed it to be IBS. Whatever!! I knew there was something wrong but no one ever listened to me. I felt like all the doctors thought I was crazy and making things up. But then I found a doctor willing to listen and try to help me. And this is where I am at now. Still having tests run, etc but at least we have plan/course of action.

Just ask your dr to run a liver panel on you. It might not be that but better safe than sorry!! i hope this helps.

I am 19 and i have only been going through this for a little over a week but from reading this it scares me to think that i might have to go through this a lot longer. i just had my first child 7 months ago and ever since then im sick all the time. cold evverything. i have always had a strong stomach too and can hold back most of the vomiting. i just had a kidney stone about a month ago and have a urinary tract infection which the doctors say could be why im nauseus. but what explains the diarreah? i have never had these kind of problems my entire life why would they just randomly start now and not stop. i have two jobs and already have missed a week of work because of this and i can barely afford my bills now and all the help i had dropped me because i make too much. i feel you guys. i cant believe you have been going through this for soooo long!

Wow, it's relieving to find other people who are having the same symptoms as me. I've been experiencing pink/brown spotting, abdominal pain and a bizarre appetite (e.g. being so hungry I order a pizza but only take 2 bites and feel full/nauseous). I'm 24 and have felt this way for about two or three years now. In the beginning I didn't think too much of it, but it feels like it's starting to get worse. I have an inkling that it could all be related to my thyroid, because I know my mum had an operation on hers about 10 years ago. It's almost certainly not an STD because I've never had sex with a guy (I'm gay). I do smoke, but it just doesn't feel like that's got anything to do with it. I think to get your thyroid checked you need to get an ultrasound, so I'm going to make a doctor's appointment asap and I will report back on my (or the doctors') findings. Fingers crossed for answers!

Wow I am so relief I'm not the only person who's experiencing this. However, I just a bit younger then you all. I am 15 years old and am experiencing this symptom just yesterday at night. I had the need to vomit which I did but after that I had to go vomit once more. I thought two were fine until my stomach begin to kick in and made me go seven times in the bathroom in one night. I'm very scared of what's wrong with me and I hate to go to the hospital because it scares me a lot. So many question goes in my head, will I live or die? I'm freaking out on what to do. My father has been helping ke by using a few medicine and drink warm water. Hey weren't that great and he suggest we go to the hospital if I don't feel right, which I don't. I'm terrified of what will happen to me...

Hello. I'm 21 years old and after reading all your posts, I'm a little scared. I have been having pains for about a month now but fear they might never end now. The 1st time I got sick it lasted a week, the last time, just a day and currently right now i'm experiencing some pain. My symptoms are less intense from those I read but similar (also no children): starts with the abdominal pain suddenly (sometimes painful enough to keep me in bed but never terrible enough to put me in tears or demand I go to the hospital). Then I get nauseous and eventually I do throw up, but thats it, I always throw up in the very beginning and then never again, I just remain extremely nauseous, to where I feel like I'm going to throw up any second but I don't. Following the vomiting I get extreme diarrhea, very watery as well and I go at least 7+ times a day. After the 1st time came and went, the 2nd time brought excessive gas and since then I have been extremely gassy with a foul smell (almost 2 weeks now), I can feel perfectly fine but the gas remains.

Basically, all my symptoms occur in sequence almost, 1st abdominal pain (although never goes away) then the nausea (which also never goes away) then the vomiting (which does go away) and then the diarrhea (which does not go away). And it happens randomly, the 1st time occurred in the middle of the day, the 2nd time occurred at night and the one I am experiencing now occurred this morning. The only thing that has helped the pain is laying flat on my back. Pepto, Tums, Antacids, etc have NOT worked at all. I want to go see a doctor this week but now I fear I will be wasting my time.

Lauren,
Have you found more answers? My situation is identical to yours and I am trying to decide if I should have a laparoscopy. Thanks! Dana

This is so odd. I'm 22 and was diagnosed with IBS 2 years ago. Since then, my symptoms have gotten increasingly worse and are exactly the same as all of you alls! I'm going to a new GI doctor tomorrow and am hoping to receive some answers.
Has anyone been tested for Celiac Disease? I've thought maybe this could be the cause of all this for me...

Wow, I have finally found people having similiar problems as I am. I am older than most of you, now 35, but have had these issues since I was in my early 20's. I typically used lots of mylanta and imodium AD to control my nausea and diarrhea, but the pain still would come and go. However, about 3 months ago the problem go really bad and these "remidies" stopped working. My PCP set me up with all sorts of tests, which have found no results. I was referred to a GI doctor for more tests, nothing still. I wound up in the hospital for almost a week, right before Christmas this past year, and still nothing. They gave me lots of pain meds and basically knocked me out for the whole time, but all the tests (colonoscopy, Upper GI, lower GI, gall blader tests, blood work, fecal tests, urine tests, on and on) were suppossedly negative. Iv'e been waiting on my GI doctor to refer me to another Hospital, a larger hospital in another city, but he is taking forever in actually getting the referral made. I'm really frustrated and do not know what to do. The medication I'm on now helps some of the pain, sometimes, but I have diahrea at least 12-15 daily, vomit on occasion (not daily but, if I eat much of anything, it usually comes back up) and the pain is there too. My doctors first went down the IBS route, but it doesn't matter what I eat, or really if I eat. It's better when I don't eat at all, but even if I eat toast or broth or jello, it starts in again horribly. Really, I don't know what to do.

Oh, and regarding the Celiac tests. I have been tested and the test again was negative. Howerver, I think I am going to try to get some of these tests ran again....I really have been unhappy with my current GI doctor. In an earlier post I read about the liver enzyme tests, which I don't think I have had done, I am checking into that with my doctor soon.

Its crazy that everyone is under 26 and some ppl started having symptoms in their early teens.
Im 19. Im having trouble with my bowl movements, I have stomach pains, sometimes i feel like theres something in my throat, i have headaches, Im bloated alot, I feel nauseous alot, bizarre appetite, sometimes im not hungry at all, dizziness, always tired. I first thought maybe im pregnant, but i took a bunch of test which all came out negative. my sypmtoms been going on for half a year. I dont know whats going on with my body. I dont want to go to the hospital i cant afford that. and it seems like none of you guys have found a solution from going to the hospital.

I have been having the same exact symtoms for almost a year now. I have been to the hospital so many times and they tell me they do not know and it's prob IBS. I have had scopes and been diagnosed with endometriosis. I have had a complete hysterectomy and Gall Bladder removal. While taking my gallbladder out they also freed up my liver which was covered in scar tissue and removed several fatty cysts from my bowels. When the doctors read my file they just tell me it's prob scar tissue or indigestion. They don't know and seem to have no intention of finding out. ....oh yeah they always run a liver screen and tell me it's slightly elevated but nothing to be concerned about. When doing one scope I tested positive for H. pylori:From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Helicobacter pylori

Helicobacter pylori (English pronunciation: /ˌhɛlɨkɵˈbæktər pɪˈlɔraɪ/) is a Gram-negative, microaerophilic bacterium that can inhabit various areas of the stomach, particularly the antrum. It causes a chronic low-level inflammation of the stomach lining and is strongly linked to the development of duodenal and gastric ulcers and stomach cancer. Over 80% of individuals infected with the bacterium are asymptomatic.[1]

Although over 80% of individuals infected with the bacterium are asymptomatic,[1] symptoms associated with H. pylori can be vague or vary over time. They may be non-specific, or caused by other conditions. Inflammation of, or damage to the stomach lining (gastritis) by H. pylori may cause mild or serious reactions to the stomach's contents - stomach ache or abdominal pain, acid reflux, regurgitation, vomiting, belching, flatulence, and nausea.

If untreated for a long time, H. pylori infections may be related to several serious illnesses: Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), peptic ulcers (duodenal or gastric ulcers), and cancers of the esophagus and stomach.

They want to test again but the only true way to test is via scope....any ideas?

I think it's your IUD.  Read other women's stories about it.