I am male, age 25. I have not been diagnosed with any particular health conditions.

For more than two months, I've been experiencing intermittent chest pain that's generally followed seconds later with gas gurgling up my esophagus or the urge to burp (and when I do, often large amounts of gas come up). The chest pain varies—it can be short, sharp bursts, or more constant burning, and sometimes it seems to radiate into my shoulders and arms (often left, but sometimes both). I also get occasional pain in my neck, often front left, near my jaw. I've had a persistent mild cough for a while, too, like something tickles in my throat when breathing in and I have to cough.

Two days ago, while eating breakfast, I felt full, and vaguely nauseated, and had a hard time finishing a bowl of cereal. After that, I felt mostly normal the rest of the day, except I had a frequent urge to go to the bathroom. Not quite diarrhea, but close. Yesterday the same thing occurred, and about two hours after lunch, I got very nauseated and had the same almost-diarrhea for 3 to 5 hours, along with chills, after which I took a bath and began to feel better into the evening. Now, this morning, I was nauseated again and had no appetite. I ate a small amount of yogurt for lunch and felt nauseated while doing so. Nausea mostly faded this afternoon and there is just intermittent burning beneath my sternum. Ate some dry Cheerios for dinner with a little nausea again.

The generally fairly mild intermittent chest pain continues to persist throughout this, which concerns my hypochondriac side, as I read things that mention nausea in conjunction with chest pain as often being heart related.

I visited a doctor two years ago for abdominal pain and had bloodwork done, with nothing out of the ordinary found—he suggested it was gastritis, I believe, and to take Maalox. It went away after a week or so. (I mostly visited the doctor because it was consistent pain/pressure in the appendix area, and I wanted to ensure it was not appendicitis.)

About 7 months ago, I visited another doctor after experiencing arm and chest pain similar to what I've been having this time. At the time, he concluded the arm pain was carpal tunnel syndrome, though I think that was largely because I said I was a programmer and used a computer frequently, so he jumped on carpal tunnel syndrome right away. He had me get bloodwork done again, and an EKG. Both were normal.

I'm planning on seeing a doctor again in a few days, but the addition of nausea and loss of appetite the past couple days has me worried.

Since I've been through the similar situation and especially since you did have gastritis at one point, this all could be easily caused by over acidity of your stomach - that is the main reason that leads to nausea and troubles after eating. This hyper-acidity causes stomach acid to rise up your esophagus which tissue obviously isn't adjusted to this and that is what causes the chest pain. So, your doctor will need to point you to the GI specialist. Wish you the best!

Thanks for your response. After last night's dinner Cheerios, I began to feel vaguely unwell again several hours later, and finally went to bed early, whereupon I began experiencing strong burning throughout my chest, neck and shoulders. This would go away when sitting up again. I ended up sleeping three hours sitting upright in a chair before going back to bed and finally falling asleep there. Upon waking, I had a bit of burning remaining after getting up, but it's mostly faded in the past hour and a half.

I'll definitely be seeing a doctor as soon as I can schedule an appointment.

An update: I ate a small plain potato for breakfast, and another for lunch, but after lunch began experiencing burning/pressure in my chest again, and, while it comes and goes, it stays fairly constantly in my neck to either side of my throat. It's a pressure/tightness with subtle burning. Drinking water can sometimes temporarily relieve it, as can changing pressure. Getting up and walking around seems to make it go away a bit.

Both on the first day of major symptoms and today, the extreme discomfort seemed to start about two hours after eating. Coincidence? I don't know. I find it strange that my discomfort has shifted largely to my neck this afternoon.

I scheduled a doctor's appointment, but the earliest available was Monday morning.

Good that you managed to get an appointment so quickly, I'm pretty sure they will be able to give you something that will stop this acid, because from what you've described - burning and pain getting worse after dinner (Cheerios are really not a good option, at least until you get the meds - made that mistake myself, so...) and getting at least a little bit better after you stand up, definitely points to the problems with stomach acid. When you go sleeping, try to keep your upper part of the body higher - as much pillows as you can and try not to eat after 9 at night, that were the recommendations they gave me and together with medications it's working, as long as I don't mess up the diet too much. Let me know what happened, when you find out and I hope it will get better soon!

Interestingly, since I was feeling hungry, I ate a larger amount of mild food for dinner last night and began to feel quite a bit better over the next few hours. I remained sitting upright for that time and by the time I went to bed, there was only mild occasional discomfort. I did have burning in my throat and a hoarse voice, which I presume is from the earlier severe burning I was experiencing. Overall, so far, since last night, I feel considerably better than I have for the past few days, and will continue trying to eat bland food for now until (and, undoubtedly, after) I see the doctor in the hopes of keeping it under control.

I also noticed that drinking water (at least in larger quantities) seems to end up making worse, presumably because, even though it dilutes the acid somewhat and causes temporary relief, it fills my stomach and causes the acid to rise up higher.

I visited the doctor today and after hearing my symptoms, he also concluded it was GERD/acid reflux and gave me a prescription for Prilosec with instructions to take a double dose daily for one week before switching to a single dose. I also got blood drawn for an H. Pylori test and may go on antibiotics as well depending on the results of that.

Glad you managed to get the treatment - that is exactly the situation I am in now, too - GERD/gastritis (they couldn't decide, but the treatment is still the same). But everything we talked about eating properly and avoiding foods and drinks that cause you the problems is still the best thing to do to avoid discomfort and further damage to the stomach tissue. Wish you all the best!

it sounds like hiatus hernia.

I am a female, 26 years old.  one day i woke up and out of no where i got pain in  both side of my chest it was really scary, i didnt no what was going on so went to the doctors and did some blood test and said i have h poly and took amoxicallin and flagil also prillosec. after i took the meds i felt good for about 2 weeks then, i woke up one day and i had pain in my left chest like someone was pulling my heart out, so went to the er and they sad it wasnt my heart so that was the good thing.  They gave me pepcid 40mg and said i might have a ulcer and i have inflamation of the stomach, for about 3 weeks the pain went away now it is back i really what to know if this sounds like it could be something else? I have a lot of burping which is not cool to be around people when im like that. someone please help me understand what this sounds like cause it is way to painfully.

Sounds like you have gerd, I had the same symptoms. You might want check with your doctor just to make sure and if so ask about protonix (20mg) to see what he or she says. Praying nothing but the best for you. Feel better soon. {=^)

I have the same symptoms, dr prescribe ant acid which did absolutely nothing to ease the problem

It sounds like you have a hiatal hernia or an ulcer, have the doc do a barium swallow, sounds like the doctor did not do anything to look at the stomach?? he should have.

I exactly have the same (100%) symptoms as yours, my doctor prescribed some medicines but still dont feel well. Let know how you are feeling lately after you visited the doctor.

Hey thanks for bringing up this problem, as I was trying to figure out on google why am I feeling nauseatic with burning sensation in chest especially after getting up from the sleep, and there's a lot thats relative to my condition as well. I shall see a good doc soon, hope your health is fine,take care