I would like to know if body mass index is different for children and adults. How could I calculate body mass index for my child?

Hi!
Of course! Body mass index is different for kids and adults. In children and teens body mass index is used to assess underweight, overweight, and risk for overweight. Kids body fatness changes over the years as they grow, besides body mass index is different for girls and boys. BMI (body index mass) differs in gender and age. BMI-for-age is plotted on gender specific growth charts. These charts are used for children and teens 2 - 20 years of age. Each of the CDC BMI-for-age gender specific charts contains a series of curved lines indicating specific percentiles. Healthcare professionals use the following established percentile cutoff points to identify underweight and overweight in children. Underweight is meant if BMI for age is less than 5th percentile, at risk for overweight if BMI for age is between 85th and 85th percentile and overweight if BMI for age is more than 95th percentile.
I hope this helps.