Underweight <18.5
Normal weight 18.5-24.9
Overweight 25-29.9
Obese >30

I'm up to 155 lbs now at 5'9" and your calculator gives me a BMI of 23. I know I've added some muscle since I've been working out 2- 3 times a week for 10 - 11 weeks in a row now. But I'm a little puzzled that I'm so close to the "overweight" range. This is the lightest I've weighed since high school and I fit into a waist size 32 pants! If I get my percent body fat calculated and its in the range I think its in (9 - 10%), should I discount the BMI results? Just curious, thats all.

should I discount the BMI results? Just curious, thats all.
Yes. BMI is for couch potatoes. When this came out, they classified Hershal Walker as obese 8O When was the last time you saw a Heisman Trophy winner that was obese. It does not take into consideration body composition just height and weight. Athletes will have a much higher % of lean muscle mass that greatly skews BMI.

And to think just 10 months ago... that BMI calculator had me as obese!

BMI is the calculation of weight relative to height, so shorter folks can have a higher number. BMI is not used to determine an individual's body fatness. So it shouldn't be compared to BF%.

Here is a related question.... I've put on around 5 pounds in the last 6 weeks or so. My cardio has gone way down, but I've worked out 3 - 4 times a week and added as much protein to my diet as possible.

Is there an easy way to determine if I'm adding lean muscle mass (vs. fat)? I guess I try to get my body fat percentage re-checked at the gym.

Just so you know Sonny. Any type of physiological change takes about 10 to 12 weeks to be statistically significant.

In other words, the added ~5 lbs and perceived reduction in cardio output most likely has not tranlated to a noticeably significant increase in overall body fatness.

Go with the numbers you already have for BF%, and in 3 to 6 months time (from when that test was done) get re-tested. Keep this information with your training diary and at regular intervals of 3 to 6 months, get re-tested to track any changes.

Also, try not to obsess on these numbers. Total weight and body fat percentage are both just tools used to help ascertain overall health and wellness. And neither one should be used as the end-all determination for one's fitness level.

What she said. :|

My BMI was 16. Underweight. Go figure.

I had my BF% first check in late September when I first started working out. It was at ~ 13%, but I don't think it was very accurate. Mostly due to the operator not taking the time to do a through job.
It will be around 3 months next week. I'm thinking about paying for a full-body analysis downtown at Georgia State University.
I'm not really obsessing over the numbers. Although I do want to maintain my 32" waist size and add additional overall lean muscle mass (in addition to return to running 25 mpw). Most of all, I'm trying to track personal weight trends. I was at 150 for a while... Now I'm gradually inched up to the 155 lb range. I know alot of it's muscle, because I can feel and see differences in the mirror each day.

Start lifting and eat more calories if you want that to change!

yes BMI is for the masses. it is another method for the physisian to spend LESS time with their patients and do a QUICK determination.

BMI SUCKS.

Get a fat analysis performed either via the electrical bio-impedement method or go all out and get the hydrostatic done.

if you do the bio impedemennt make sure no activity before, go to the bathroom within 30 mins and make sure your well hydrated. a slight yellow tinge to your urine, not clear but also not YELLOW. no eating for two hours prior to the test either.

you got all that?

Any suggestion on where to get this done in ATL (on the cheap)?
:)

I'm thinking about paying for a full-body analysis downtown at Georgia State University.
Go with that.

I'm aware of that option... Just curious if HYPERASHEL knew of another location in ATL area.

:)

thinking that hospital is closer your area if i remember a few posts back, if not, most hospitals have a fairly cheap screen through their community programs.